[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Just dragged my VR4 across the country
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Just dragged my VR4 across the country 
N00b

Post Just dragged my VR4 across the country
Hi,

I just moved to the greater LA area. I have a 1992 galant VR4 that i brought with me. Besides wheels/rims she is 100% stock with 90k miles on it. Bought her in late January and have been fixing some small issues and doing maintenance. Right noiw she stumbles pretty bad when running under 3,000 RPM. I found some rust in my fuel injectors before i moved so i think the fuel tank is rusty.

I started road racing 2.5 years ago and love it. Hoping to take the Galant to some open track days soon. I autocross here and there but really want to start rallycrossing. Did some quick surfing of the web and havent found the rallycross schedule out here, I am sure there is one though.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:26 pm

Post Re: Just dragged my VR4 across the country
Welcome to LADSM. Any pics??

Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:04 pm

WELCOME to LADSM.com

Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:00 pm
Profile YIM

I'd drop the gas tank and double check it. also changing the fuel pump/filter would help. when I had my 90 laser rs had rust and would affect the fuel . changed my pump and she was running great. welcome btw.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:35 pm
Profile YIM
N00b

Here is a pic

I dropped my fuel tank right after i posted and found a bunch of rust/debris in there. Going to try to find a place that does tank cleaning/repair, I was thinking Harbor Radiator in Costa Mesa? Anyone have any suggestion.

Also going to bend and replace the fuel lines while i am down there.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:44 pm

id personally would try to find another gas tank but that might be a bit hard for your car ; /. hopefully someone will chime in to give you some help

Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:59 pm
Profile YIM
DSM Regular

welcome to LADSM!

finding a Tank will be difficult...if you dont mind shipping from Portland Or

text my buddy Paul 360.281.0129

he has more dsm parts than anyone i know. Even GVR4 parts..

good luck

Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:27 am

Just have your tank cleaned and have it resealed.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:44 pm
N00b

I called around and was told to use these guys to strip the tank

Now i just need to find someone to coat it.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:20 pm
DSM Regular

Nice car. Good to see more Galant's in Cali.

1991 Galant VR4 #852/2000 SOLD

Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:52 am
DSM Regular

Cool, another GVR-4 :D
Welcome!

90 GSX - HKS' Former Promo Car -Sold

Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:17 pm

Welcome. You could try cleaning the tank as best you can yourself. Get yourself a couple sections of metal chain, put it in the tank with some sort of cleaner and shake the chain around in the tank. Rinse and repeat until you knock most of the rust and shit off. Then check/change the fuel filter regularly.

You could try cleaning a resealing it yourself, I've read pretty good things about this kit:
http://www.por15.com/FUEL-TANK-REPAIR-KIT_p_62.html

http://qr.absolutecoatings.com/QR-asset ... Sealer.pdf

10.67@126mph

Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:45 pm
Profile YIM
frank the tank

Welcome !

1/4mile 10.5 @ 136 mph personal best 3582R Las Vegas
1/4mile 10.41@ 137.9 mph Fontana personal best 3582R
5 Gears...4 wheel drive/steer...3 Diamonds...2 cams...1 Turbo...0 Reliability

Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:24 pm
Profile YIM
N00b

Ended up getting the tank cleaned at stripcleaner. It was super expensive $300 and they lost a bunch of my fuel tanks parts. :doh that doesnt seem to be the issue though. Car is still surging. Its really annoying. Waiting on a usb logger cable, i made a com style one but my new laptop doesn't have that port. :bang:

Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:45 pm

Awe that sucks man, well at least you know the tank is clean. You can use your serial cable if you get a Keyspan USB/serial adapter.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Keyspan-High- ... HS/5934005

10.67@126mph

Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:36 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next