[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - idle advice with BC 280's and FIAV block off!
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
idle advice with BC 280's and FIAV block off! 
Death to Head Gaskets!

Post idle advice with BC 280's and FIAV block off!
ok so i just did a 6 bolt swap with wiseco/eagle and BC 280's and BC S&R and 1mm oversized valves. and of course it wont idle on cold start up. it idles fine once its warmed up though @ a lumpy 800rpm. also i blocked off the FIAV and EGR. is there a simple fix using dsmlink?

thanks guys!

Last edited by Black_gst on Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:36 am
No More 2.3L

Post Re: idle advice with BC 280's
Turn up your idle in the dsmlink settings. If your ISC is functioning it should raise the idle up to a point where it is smoother.

452 AWHP 446 lb ft of torque e85 FTW!!

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:18 am
Profile YIM
Death to Head Gaskets!

thanks Wes but i tried that. once it warmed up i could adjust the idle settings but what can i do before its warmed up. is there any other way to adjust cold start idle for big cams?

Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:33 am
No More 2.3L

Does you fast idle air valve (FIAV) work? It is the part at the bottom of the throttle body with the coolant lines running to it. It has a wax pellet in it that lets air by while the engine is cold and then the coolant heats the pellet and melts it blocking the excess air once the engine is warm.

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:39 am
Profile YIM
Death to Head Gaskets!

no i blocked it off because it was the cause of my idle surge i think.

Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:44 am
No More 2.3L

Well that being blocked combined with big cams would explain why it won't idle cold. Mine is blocked too but with stock cams ind in Ca it isn't a problem.

But since I am not big cam experienced I'm not the best to answer definitively, hopefully Sam. Jerry, or others can chime in.

-Mike W

Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:52 am
Profile YIM
Death to Head Gaskets!

i knew that those cams alone wouldnt like to idle lol. but i didnt think blocking the FIAV would cause it to not idle at all. it idles perfect once it warms up though. super lumpy.. me likey! lol... and i had to turn on the MAS clamp or it would die when comming to a stop... me being new to ECM link im sure isnt helping.

Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:56 am
DSM Regular

Post Re: idle advice with BC 280's and FIAV block off!
Have you adjusted the BISS on the throttle body? How do your plugs look? Are your plug wires arcing? It could be a combination of things. I run FP2's and when i used the BR8ES plugs id have to give it a little throttle on a cold start to keep this alive, and those plugs like to foul pretty quickly. Running a BR7ES plug helps with the issue. I am also running a blocked FIAV using a plate that bypasses the FIAV but not the ISC. Running the revised ISC's seem to be more consistant in controling the position of the ISC, and since Ive swaped ISC's for the revised one my idle has been pretty much dead on whatever i set it to on dsmlink, with little fluctuation.

Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:06 pm
Death to Head Gaskets!

i adjusted the biss but after i warmed it up... plugs have about 100 miles on them and look almost new and i gapped them to .028 i run the bp7es. i just blocked off the whole thing from the TB completly. i dont think the pulg wires are arcing but i will check on that

Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:16 pm
Death to Head Gaskets!

and im unclear when you say your running the "Running the revised ISC's seem to be more consistant in controling the position of the ISC, and since Ive swaped ISC's for the revised one my idle has been pretty much dead on whatever i set it to on dsmlink, with little fluctuation."

i havent heard about a "revised" isc. also could i fix this by possibly using the "simulate ISC" function in ECM link?

thanks for the help

Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:24 pm
Talon of Doom

what version of dsmlink are you using?

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
Death to Head Gaskets!

Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:13 pm
DSM Regular

Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:14 pm

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:06 pm
Profile WWW

What I did:

-Turned Idle Switch 1/8 turn past throttle stop
-Adjusted TPS via
-Adjusted idle through BISS with an electrical load, (head lights, fans, etc.)

About the cold idle issue, I just got use to holding the pedal down. Minor sacrifice when deleting the sensors & running big cams 8)

531.5whp 414.8tq @ 29psi, FP3575 on Q16

Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next