[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Wrong way to tune..?
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Wrong way to tune..? 
DSM Regular

Post Wrong way to tune..?
*FYI I do not own a DSM for those that don't know me*
Little background on the car: Running twin EVO III 16G at around 20psi/660cc injectors/SAFCII + SITC for tuning..
This setup should get me atleast 500awhp but it doesn't seem to at all. I'd say that I'm barely at 350awhp if I had to make a guess with my butt dyno. Compression check was relatively even all around and still considered good (150ish range).

So my AEM wb reads 10 flat at WOT while my O2's are running around .94 -.96.
Both O2s and WB have been in the car for at most 6k miles. I have a snow performance w/m kit installed (625ml/min) on the car that uses a progressive style controller (start 10psi full 19psi). Now with the w/m, I should be able to run a little bit more of an aggressive AFR than a 10 flat. I just don't know if I should believe the nb o2's or the wb.
Trying to lean it out a little did show small traces of knock. Not enough to pull timing or anything but still something I'm not very comfortable with. I do have a high mileage (210k) car which is a factor I consider before getting too aggressive. Any thoughts on this at all?

Would running less boost and a more aggressive AFR help make more power? vs More boost and more conservative afr?
Most people with similar setups are seeing 400+awhp on around 14psi and I doubt they're running 10 flat.
Any helpful input will be appreciated.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:17 pm
Post Master

Post Re: Wrong way to tune..?
10 flat is way to rich, even for pump gas. I bet you would pick up a LOT of power by leaning it out more and shooting for say 10.8-11.1:1 afr's on pump gas.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:54 pm
DSM Regular

well supposedly the proper tuning voltage on narrowband for my car is .94 - .96..
I understand that 10 flat is really rich even just for pump, but when I try to lean it out I begin to knock a little. And this is with the w/m injection as well..

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:27 am

First off:
Narrowbands are complete crap for figuring out the actual AFR. The narrowband readout is different from car to car, and since they're only 1v they're far from accurate. I'm not saying your wideband is perfect, but assuming it's in proper working condition it's going to be WAY more accurate than the narrowband. If you're paranoid about your wideband being off, I suggest paying for an hour on a dyno at a performance shop and do a few pulls so you can compare your wideband to the wideband on the dyno (some shops charge a cheap rate to do a couple of baseline pulls). I suppose you could watch your wideband to make sure it reads 14.7 while in closed loop assuming you still have a stock ecu that runs in closed loop during cruise and idle.

Second:
SAFC and SITC are ancient and really aren't up to task for tuning such an aggressive setup. (I know, I know, people have made XXXhp on SAFC, blah blah blah). It's good to hear you have *some* timing control being that tuning with just the AFC adds timing as you compensate for bigger injectors. You'd be better off with something like link/aem that offers load based maps so you can have very good control over AFRs and timing throughout the RPM range as well as at different loads.

I recommend posting some logs so we can see what the car is doing. Timing will be a key factor.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:56 am
Profile WWW
Post Master

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:06 am
DSM Regular

I am actually thinking about going MAFT Gen2 on my car next.. lol.
Unfortunately for me, Link isn't available for the 3000gt/stealth platform. And going AEM is something I want to avoid.. I've had less than stellar experiences with it being tuned by a 'reputable' shop on a different car (WRX). I know the AEM would definately be a better choice but my lack of understanding will leave me at the mercy of the tuner. IF anyone's bad tune is gonna blow my motor, I'd rather it be mine. Then I can atleast (hopefully) learn from my mistakes..
Another reason I stayed away from AEM is that my car is my daily driver. So having excessive amounts of downtime isn't really an option for me. I don't have any logs at the moment as I'm out of the country for the next few months.. I'm trying to get a friend to email them to me. I'll post them up when I get them.. How do I post them exactly..? It will more than likely be excel spreadsheets.

And as mentioned.. I do have a wb.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:20 pm
DSM Regular

my friend emailed me the logs in excel format but I don't know how to post..
any info on that?

Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:19 pm
Goderator

Upload it on a file hosting service such as http://www.mediafire.com/ and link the file once uploaded.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:25 pm
DSM Regular

thanks christ..
here's some logs.. they're honestly not the most ideal ones but its all i got atm.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3ztl6mfaa ... eroITC.xls

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mt5zcyeqg ... _17psi.xls

this one had a weird boost building issue.. I included some videos to show it. My cotter pin on my rear turbo disappeared so I put another one in but think i either need to shim the wastegate or i blew the turbo.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/qb8ro1bd4 ... _22psi.xls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMaHJnR48o4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH1NS6H_rrs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NjOI25qPs0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VpzxR5_ZZA

and a video of me getting spanked since i already took up so much of your time..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWbR3CDaBr4

Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:00 am
Talon of Doom

I trust wideband readings way more than front o2's. Also too rich can cause knock and 2 counts isnt anything to be scared of.

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:44 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]