[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - The death of Jackal and DS-Map???
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The death of Jackal and DS-Map??? 

Post The death of Jackal and DS-Map???
Frank notified me the other day that DS-Map.net was down. I went to check it out and for those of you who aren't aware, there was a huge falling out amongst the admins of that forum. Doesn't surprise me as the Jackal guys were CONSTANTLY getting in trouble on other DSM and tuning forums. Most of the guys associated with DS-Map had major attitude problems and had a complete lack of maturity. If you could get past that, they had a VERY helpful community (they gave me live chat support to get my car running when I was having issues with a unique MAP sensor and 2.3L displacement). That being said, I loved the support but didn't like being associated with them. As of now the Jackal project seems essentially dead, though there are opposing views on the matter. Everyone who paid them for logger cables is pretty much screwed unless they contact Hakcenter to get their money back. While I was a fan of the fact that Jackal brought speed density to DSM owners for FREE, it was a doomed project because of mismanagement and really, really, REALLY bad attitudes.

So, what now? Some of the DS-Map guys have started a website called DSMECU.com which compiles a lot of the info from the DSM ECU yahoo group which has been around for ages. DSMECU.com will not host Jackal for download since Jackal belongs to Hakcenter, but a lot of the people there know jackal and can give you support. It seems as though the trend there is everybody is going back to TunerPro which is the tuning software I used with my Ostrich and a MAF before going to Jackal for speed density. What I didn't know is that there has been a lot of development of the speed density coding within TunerPro, *and* TunerPro finally has the capability to log now that it supports the 1g DSMs funky baud rate!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Oh, did I mention the TunerPro logger includes map tracing!? :partyman:

All in all, I'm extremely happy to be making the move back to TunerPro. Jackal was cool to introduce speed density to our crowd, but the java based GUI was horrible to navigate and just a pain in the ass to use. Not to mention the logger would only do couple of samples a second which is really slow. Again, I *do* appreciate everything Hakcenter did to help the community, but it really wasn't convenient to use when compared to other free solutions like TunerPro.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:05 am
Profile WWW
frank the tank

Post Re: The death of Jackal and DS-Map???
Its a shame that DS map is down most likely its a leadership issue I know that on dsmtuners they are working on a support forum for the jackal guys
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hangout ... -down.html

1/4mile 10.5 @ 136 mph personal best 3582R Las Vegas
1/4mile 10.41@ 137.9 mph Fontana personal best 3582R
5 Gears...4 wheel drive/steer...3 Diamonds...2 cams...1 Turbo...0 Reliability

Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:44 am
Profile YIM

Frank, I'm not 100% decided yet, but I'm not so sure it's really a shame. Jackal had it's good points, but development was kept to one guy (Hak) which meant movement was very slow and the immaturity of the people involved make it a project that was a pain in the ass to be a part of. Again, I'm not decided yet, but it's looking as though the move to DSMECU.com is leading to more community development and education of 1g ECU tuning, and they are providing a lot of support to jackal users. The fall of DS-Map may end up being a good thing. That being said, it is a bummer that all the attitudes and bickering ruined a great project.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:20 pm
Profile WWW
Talon of Doom

Yhea, I noticed all the DS-MAP kids always tried to make it a pissing contest against Link, where as Link guys really didn't care, because they already paid for what they are using, why get rid of it to go to something free and relearn everything. Their mindset was, well I have something that works well and so do you. And what?

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:58 pm
Profile WWW

Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:29 am
Profile WWW
Talon of Doom

LOL, the DSMAP project was interesting though, and had potential. I think you hit the nail on the head with your thoughts as to why it all crumbled. All it really needed was some better logging and a better GUI.

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:30 am
Profile WWW

Yeah. The crazy thing is that all the ECU coding was based on work done by other people some of which were at the old Yahoo group DSM ECU. Hak didn't create the code, but rather packaged it in a java GUI and created a community of people to support and implement it. Unfortunately the GUI was horrible, but it *did* bring an easy SD setup to a lot of people. Sam, you helped me tune with TunerPro once a while back and I believe you even helped me edit XDF parameters. I'm moving my SD stuff over to TunerPro which now has the capability to log 1g DSMs. It's really a nice setup. So glad to be going back that route.

BTW I'm impressed with the direction the new DSMECU.com forum is going. Lots of motivated people. Really a revival of all the stuff that went on in the DSM ECU yahoo group.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:01 pm
Profile WWW

hak still owes me money..... :bang:

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:27 pm
frank the tank

Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:41 pm
Profile YIM
Talon of Doom

Wow...some serious Jerry Springer drama. We thought we had some drama here too...

Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:54 am
Profile WWW

Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:03 am
Profile WWW

I really hope all these mature blanket statements you guys are throwing out there about the "ds-map kids" aren't referring to me. I don't participate in the link bashing you mention.. :roll:

10.67@126mph

Last edited by -red97rum- on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:07 am
Profile YIM
frank the tank

This is very simple guys (Hak and flux ) they has a disagreenmet
Flux got pissed off and decided it was ok for him to shut down the site

This has nothing to do about ds-map VS dsmlink argument this is clearly a personal issue

Are they goof balls that talk shit? ....... Yes in every forum you are gonna have your "kids" that will act retarded and make lil shit piss contest about link and ds map or other dumb things
The truth is when it comes to 1g Dsm Tuning everything is better than safc and maf T

Dustin you're been helpful to other jackal users I don't think your one of the goof balls

Frank the tank

Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:32 pm
Profile YIM
Talon of Doom

Yhea, I think Dustin on one of those piss contest kids that be instigating on the boards.. :wink:

Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:46 pm
Profile WWW

You're right Frank. Don't get me wrong I don't think anyone here was starting any "jackal vs link" drama. I just didn't like be lumped in with a group of idiots that are always starting shit. Just like Clint mentioned above that there were the few loud members of the link community that stand out. I say the same thing applies to the ds-map community, although I will say there are probably more jack asses that like to start crap on the jackal side of things. But there were lots of people that I used to chat with everyday who were really nice guys that wouldn't ever start that kind of shit or participate in it. You want to know who the biggest link basher and shit talker was on that site? It was fluxcapacitor, I think it's fishy how all of the sudden he's out there trying to make peace with the people he would trash on a daily basis. Hak is generally a prick no matter what, but at least he's consistent lol. Don't even get me started about the reason the ds-map went down, seriously, it's the stupidest shit ever! Hak and Flux are both to blame as far as I'm concerned, I lost a lot of respect for both of them when they decided to use ds-map as a weapon to get at each other over personal differences. I rejoined ds-map but I doubt I'll be spending much time at either new site.

I'm actually thinking of checking out tunerpro's 1G speed density solution. I've read really good things about their logging capability and the new map tracing feature is really attractive to me.

10.67@126mph

Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:02 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next