[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Tuning options
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Tuning options 
N00b

Post Tuning options
Hey guys what's up? I just wanted to know what my tuning options are, seeing as I dont have an Eprom ECU. Am I able to run Ostrich on a 2g non eprom ECU? I really would like to get a tuning program that won't break the bank, but thats stilll good enough to change timing, AFR's, etc. I wanted to run DSMlink, but I don't have an eprom. So thats out of the question. Basically I want to know if I have any other options beside a DSMchip or SAFC.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:36 pm
DSM Regular

Post Re: Tuning options
I do believe that ecmlink is converting non eproms to eproms now. but its a bit pricey $200 if I remember right. dsmchips require an eprom also. if you can find a 99 ecu in the black case then you can run an ostrich system on it or something along the lines of evoscan. other than that the cheapest is going to be the SAFC and pocketlogger. but no ability to advance timing other than the cas. Also I have heard of people swaping in evo ecu's but I dont have full info on that

1991 tsi awd stock bottom end w/ 2g head, kiggly springs, HKS 272's, RC1200's, shep4, QM twin, fp manifold, full megan exhaust, hx35 in bep housing, ets 4" fmic, BJ'sSMIM, Tial bov, tial 41mm, v3 ecmlink SD, 30psi, E85, 99 problems and this Bitch is one

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:35 pm

You *might* be able to run the Ostrich, but I don't think anybody has really tapped into the 2g ECU enough for there to be good support using open source tuning software like TunerPro (heck I don't even know if 2g definitions are available for TunerPro). Also, Jackal, which is the popular speed density solution that people use with the Ostrich is for 1g cars only.

Your best bet is probably the Link route whether it's through purchasing an eprom ecu or having them do the conversion or whatever is needed. Evoscan is just a datalogger from what I understand (i think it runs in conjunction with a tuning solution...um ECUflash I think? Don't even know if you can use that on a 2g). I'd say stay away from an AFC since they're so expensive for how little they can do, but if you're only planning on minor mods than AFC and a logger will work fine. One alternative I have heard about that you can use with a non eprom ecu is ECU+, but I really don't know anybody that uses it or how good it is for DSMs.

Ask gus for info on the Evo ECU swap.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:05 am
Profile WWW

You're going to need an eprom to run any of the options you mentioned bud.

ECMLink will convert your non eprom for $160 I believe. Or, like already mentioned, you can get a 98-99 ecu that's flashable like the evos. Clint is correct, EVOScan is just a logging program, pretty decent too from what I've seen - $25 and it comes with the cable. Then you would have to use ECUflash to make your tuning changes. The cable needed to flash the ecu is around $160 if I remember correctly. Check out this site if you go the route of flashing: . That guy Ceddy also has a lot of good info regarding flashing over on dsmtuners.

10.67@126mph

Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:13 am
Profile YIM
N00b

Well I've got a 98 gst(I should probably update my profile) but I'm not too sure that it is flashable. How would I check that? Or are they all flashable?

Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:32 am
Squish Face

Pull off the kick panel, and check out the ecu. If it is a black cased ecu its flashable. More likely than not it is, if so just read up on what you need to have in order to reflash.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:17 am
Profile WWW
N00b

Ok cool. So it looks like Ill just have to go logger, wideband, and dsmchip as far as tuning goes. I can get my ecu socketed for free since my girlfriends dad is a computer programmer/engineer.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:25 am

I think you may be confused, there is no socket/chip involved when flashing the newer type ecus, just a cable, your flashing software and your laptop. If you want to run a chip or ecmlink you're going to have to find a 1995 eprom ecu or find a non eprom ecu and have it modified by ecmlink. 98-99 flashable ecus cannot be converted to eprom as far as I know.

This thread will have most of the info you need to get started:

10.67@126mph

Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:25 am
Profile YIM
Talon of Doom

Only 98-99 ECU is flashable through ECUFlash. And you would log with EVOScan.

You need:
ECUflash software - Free
EVOScan - $25
Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 Cable w/ Mitsu Reflash connector - $180

Do your research on this thread on DSMTuners.com
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tuning- ... g-faq.html

IMHO, the flash system works. You have full control of everything, as much control as you would with Link. My only gripe about this setup is logging. EVOScan is light years behind DSMlink as far as logging goes. Damn fuel trims don't even work correctly, and the graphing is ok, it doesn't stream the graph, but instead it streams raw number and you have to load the log up into a graph. Then you have to mouse over the graphed line to show the value. Kind of a retarded way of doing everything, but it works.

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:16 am
Profile WWW
N00b

Ohhh ok. Thats really cheap. Thanks for the link. Now I understand what ECU flashing is. I thought that flashing and a chip were the same thing. Now lets say for some reason that I dont have the black case ECU. What would my options be after that? Just an SAFC?

Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:44 am
Talon of Doom

AFC's are honestly total POS's and a waste of money.
If your car is a '98, its like 90% chance its flashable, unless someone swapped it out.
You also will need a Wideband O2 sensor to properly tune the car, going off the stock front O2 is like navigating a dark cave with a candle when you can do it with a spot light and a map.

These I would say are the top 3 wideband units.

AEM-UEGO
Zeitronix ZT-2
Innovate LC-1

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
N00b

Ya I know a wideband is a definite must have. I just really hope that I have a flashable ECU. If not then maybe I can find one here or on dsmtalk's classifieds. I'm going to be starting my build soon and I really want something to really tune and log with.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:06 pm
Post Master

Just check if you do.
Unscrew like 3 bolts (i think) and pop it off, its tucked in behind the radio.
Honestly, takes like 3 min.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]