[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - AEM EMS Series2 Round 2
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
AEM EMS Series2 Round 2 
Talon of Doom

Post AEM EMS Series2 Round 2
Yhea, taking this thing off the job of being a paper weight in the back seat and tooning it. So far, it idles perfectly, honestly a little smoother than Link, currently doing all the tooning without any O2 feedback (AEM's version of a fuel trim) and just trying to iron out the fuel map. So far it drives pretty good partial throttle cruise. I keep getting a hickup/quick missfire at 3K if I'm under 20% throttle. AFR seems good around that miss, gotta figure that out still. Did a quick WOT 1st and BANG! love ignition based rev limits. It sounds soo pissed off. For now, the car starts decently, idles nicely, drives OK. WOT still suck cus I turned down the boost big time, and no vtec sauce at the moment. Going to take some time to get this dialed.

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:10 am
Profile WWW
No More 2.3L

Post Re: AEM EMS Series2 Round 2
Good luck getting it dialed but man if you get real good at tuning with the AEM EMS there is defiantly money to be made out there.

452 AWHP 446 lb ft of torque e85 FTW!!

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:45 am
Profile YIM
Talon of Doom

learned a bit of trick from playing with the EMS. Actually got my Link ECU to Idle and cruise a lot better, I'd say as good as the EMS. But going to continue some more on the EMS tonight. Just keep getting this annoying small miss at 3K and TPS<20%. Gotta figure it out, I think it has something to do with coil dwell time and not being set right. Has something to do with ignition because AFR is good at that RPMvsLoad. There is so many styles in tuning EMS and I want to learn them all. Only two guys can do a TPS based, boost comped tune, Mitch from AEM being one of them. Benefit is really great, built NA car style, throttle response and perfect AFR no mater what boost or throttle or anything you put into it. I want to be the third.
My biggest gripe still that only Link offers is live graphic logs. AEM is only digital then you have to run a second program to view logs.

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
Death to Head Gaskets!

what is the idle trick, could it be open loop idle?

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:00 pm
Talon of Doom

top secret. Can't tell you that or I'd have to kill you. And you're a cool guy, wouldn't want to have to do that.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
Death to Head Gaskets!

im gonna try open loop idle once i do the hg of course

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:55 pm
DSM Regular

It could be wb signal control programming a lean open loop.. :P
GJ sam keep it up then once you've mastered it, sell it to me when you install motec :D

Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:49 pm

The mad scientist at it again!

Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:09 pm
Talon of Doom

It drives pretty good right now. Gotta play with it more on the dyno. Right now I'm driving the car without any o2 feedback at all, EMS doesn't have a real "closed loop". The map is all boost comped, I could play with microec/bit parameters a bit and get more definition in the map but it rescales everything and you have to re-tune it all. For now, I'm happy how it works. keep getting a hick up sorta light misfire at 3K if I roll through it at like 15~20% throttle. AFR is good there and timing doesn't seem obscene. I'll roll by AEM on Tuesday to address this, could be a bug or something. If throttle is any lower or higher it's fine. Wednesday the car probabaly will go on the dyno to do the WOT tuning. cool thing about boost comp is that I can tune the car on low boost and turn it up and it will be the same AFR no matter what boost. I figured how to control the vtec sause on AEM, still gotta figure out map switching to save the motor in event of failure. But overall, I understand AEM pretty well now. And honestly, a lot of it is going by feel, there aren't any mathematical formulas or AFR reference. The fuel map is either duty cycle/ IPW/or RAW value at given RPM vs. Load. DSMlink or Ecuflash you have a target AFR which makes some sense to you where as 4.2us IPW or 20% duty cycle or 89 raw value really means nothing in your mind where as a 14.7afr or 11:1 afr makes sense in your mind, even if wideband doesn't match the map, you know how much and in what direction you need to go to get wideband to ideal. And boost comp tuning methods are far from conventional and people familiar with fuel maps look at boost comped maps and think it just looks wrong. You literally tune the car at the lowest boost and just copy it into all the other loads above and below it. Vacuum areas are brought down maybe 25% and then the rest is taken care of in throttle % correction. As complicated as it sounds, its actually a lot easier and more convenient than standard cell mapping. But the final thought is that, all the running around in circles to get the car to start idle and drive is almost not worth the effort and I'd rather do cell mapping. But what people don't see with basic cell mapping is that they already had a base map which was based upon the stock map. EMS really has NO STOCK MAP. Downside of that is that you have to make it work, up side is you literally make 1600cc injectors idle like 450's if you get micro/sec bit value right.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:03 am
Profile WWW
DSM Regular

it'd be nice if you can somehow translate the graph values from link into code that you can use on the ems for a base map.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:25 pm
Talon of Doom

you can, In link you can display fuel as a RAW value. But that RAW value is different from AEM's due to the microsec/bit value.
Rave value is a value from 0-255, 0 being no fuel and 255 being injector open for the entire intake stroke. Microsec/bit value manipulates what "1" does. Ideally you want to play with MSB to get as much definition as you can so that you can make very fine fuel adjustments. Too low of a MSB value and you put 255 into raw and your still too lean, too high of a MSB value and "1" adjustment in the raw table will make AFRs move from 11:1 to 10:1 in just one value. LOL.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:30 am
Profile WWW
DSM Regular

lol yea so it's not the same. Going back to the hesitation or a misfire symptom below 25% tps. Good afrs but wrong ign timing is my guess. Or the damn isc :mrgreen:

Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:25 pm
Talon of Doom

its a misfire. The timing map is the same as DSMlink's.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]