View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
DSMLink: Rough Idle at Cold Start 
DSM Regular

Post DSMLink: Rough Idle at Cold Start
Ok, so I installed and got my DSMLink running today. And it started fine, and drove fine. I drove it about 20 mins. Then turned it off and let it sit for about 20 mins.

When I went to turn it on, the car felt like it wanted to die. I plugged the laptop back in to make sure the settings had been retained, and they were. So not sure why it was acting wierd.

I had to keep giving the car some throttle for a minute otherwise it would die. After that it ran fine. Got home let it sit again for 20 mins. Tried again, same problem.

I made a log of the start up. At about 15 secs in, the car started to smoothen out, so I stopped applying the throttle. Not sure how to post the log and settings file on here though.

Note: this is a v2 chip with v3 software. Anybody got any input on this?

Thanks.

David.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:46 pm
Talon of Doom

Post Re: DSMLink: Rough Idle at Cold Start
Hot start enrichment. Dunno if the v3 software will allow you to change this on a v2 chip. I gotta check on some ecu setting files I have backed up on the comp at home.

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:00 pm
Profile WWW
DSM Regular

enrichment or starvation? Could a bad ISC do it too?

Just some more info for you:

I drove it again today to test it out again and same effect. I started it at 6am to go to work and it started fine. Then after work, again it started fine. But after I drive it and turn it off, if I come back 20-60 mins later to start it again, it wants to die. I give it throttle until it levels out, and then it smoothens and runs ok. But I Don't like what I hear when I give it the throttle because if I give it to much it feels like it bogs either because of a lean mix, or a rich mix, hard to tell. Almost feel like a timing issue.

I had to wait about an hour for it to start right. A faulty ISC does sound very possible. So I will log it ISCPosition and post the results tomorrow for you.

If it is the ISC, would putting in my 1gen TB fix the problem? I believe it came off a 91, and it ran fine on a Mirage I had before I took it off.

David.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:42 am
Talon of Doom

isc wont cause bogging like the "putt putt putt putt" when you first start the car. It sounds like you hot start enrichment, yes I said enrichment, if too rich. Flooding the cylinder, making the plug get wet and it'll go putt putt putt till it drys off. Email me a log of right after you start it and its going putt putt putt. Email is sam@roadraceengineering.com

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:17 am
Profile WWW
DSM Regular

Email sent.

David.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:27 pm
DSM Regular

Ok, so getting back to this issue. What can cause hot start enrichment if it's not the ISC. And how can it be fixed or do I just tune around this?

Note: I installed my WB, but it seems the sensor is bad, so I will have to get another Sensor before I can log the a/f.

Thanks.

David.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:02 pm
Talon of Doom

Sounds like you need someone to tune your car. I'll get yours dialed in. Let me know :yawinkle:

Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:27 pm
Profile WWW
DSM Regular

Well I was planning on contacting you to have it dialed in once I put the 560cc and Evo Pump put in. I would've loved to have you dial it in now, but I'm short on funds at the moment :( (just spent some money earlier today for a bumper). I will have to save up some money before doing so.

I just find it frustrating that this happened after putting in the DSMLink when all the settings are set to stock/zero. Over the next couples of days, I think I will swap the 96 ecu back in to see if it still does it so that I can confirm if it's truly an ecu/tuning issue, and not something else.

David.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:57 pm
Talon of Doom

you can try it. it only takes 10 min at the most.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:59 am
Profile WWW
DSM Regular

Yeah I will swap them tomorrow morning.

So from you message, does that mean that tuning the ECU is all I need to due in this case?

1. "What can cause hot start enrichment if it's not the ISC?"
2. "And how can it be fixed or do I just tune around this?"

Thanks.

David.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:52 pm
DSM Regular

ok, well I swapped back to my 95 ECU and took the car for a drive today. Made sure it was nice and warmed up. Then shut it off for about 10 mins. started just fine. Then tried again after 20 minutes and again started just fine. I will drive it around for a couple more days to confirm that the ecu swap fixed the problem.

However if this does turn out to fix the problem then it means one of three things:

1. A setting in Link is causing the problem.
2. The Ecu is bad/defective and will need repair/replacement.
2. The Link Chip is defective and will need replacement.

In a couple of days, I will swap the stock eprom into the 95 ECU and put it back into the car to see if it still does it to see if it's the ecu causing the problem or the chip.

David.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:11 pm
DSM Regular

Heatsoaked FIAV. yw

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:08 pm
DSM Regular

well I finally replaced the LC-1 sensor, and found that the car was running lean over all, but even more during the hot restart. Probably caused by a leak in the pcv valve and/or a faulty ISC. Using link I was able to log it and then use the MafComp to adjust the maf signal by about 20% and now the rough start is gone. But it's only a temporary fix until I fix the leak/isc.

David.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:43 pm

You made sure to zero out all the values right?

What are the base settings on the DSMLink chip?

Have you done a log with iscposition logged?

Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
DSM Regular

setting Link to about 20% mafcomp seems to compensate enought to fix the problem, but I had a feeling I either had a leak, or a faulty ISC.

I finally got around to installing my 1gen TB. When I pulled the 2gen TB, I tested the ISC and found that plugs 4, 5 and 6 were dead. This was probably the real culprit.

luckily the 1gen had a working ISC. I will post in a couple days to confirm if that fixed the problem.

David.

Mon May 03, 2010 7:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]