[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Just started playing with e85
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Just started playing with e85 
No More 2.3L

Post Just started playing with e85
This is how it went down tonight.

For those interested here is some of the more technical info of what I did.

Because of the different stoich mixture for e85 I had to change my global fuel settings and to figure out exactly what to change it to I ran a few simple calculations.

First up was I needed to guesstimate exactly what percentage of ethanol was in my tank from the amount of e85 I put in and how much 91 was still in there. I filled with e85 and it was 12.717 gallons meaning that I had roughly 3.183 gallons of 91 left.

Gasoline has a stoich ratio of 14.7:1 while e85 has a stoich ratio of 9.8526:1 If you divide 9.8526/14.7 you get a gas ratio of 0.67. The gas ratio of regular gasoline is 1.

Breaking down what is in my tank into percentages gives 80% e85 and 20% gasoline and taking each percentage and multiplying it by the gas ratio for that portion gives me the injector correction factor.

0.80 * 0.67 + 0.20 * 1 = 0.736

Then I multiplied this correction factor by the size of my injectors which are 720s.

720 * 0.736 = 529.92

And then using the standard equation for calculating global fuel setting

450 / 529.92 - 1 = -0.151

This seems very complicated but there is a excel spreadsheet that does this automatically available on the ECMlink wiki site.

As for how it runs I didn't have any time to dial in the tune yet but my injector duty cycles went from about 73% to 97% and I am running a B16G at 19psi so for all you guys that want to run e85 out there even if you are on a 16G you need bigger than 720s to do it right.

I did a pull on the way to the gas station with 91 still and I got about 3* of timing pulled from knock and with changing only the global and putting in e85 I was beating on it with no knock. I need to find some time to crank up the timing and see what I can get out if it.

452 AWHP 446 lb ft of torque e85 FTW!!

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:54 am
Profile YIM
Quagmire

Post Re: Just started playing with e85
Gonna have to start doing some Sam VooDoo fuel Magic. On the Holset I was at 91% duty cycle @ 22 PSI. After some witchcraft, I'm at 85% @ 26 PSI of booooooooost. Probably gonna go with some 1450cc FIC BlueMAX inyectors.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:11 am
No More 2.3L

Yeah, I'm still on my re-wired 190. I think I will put in the 255 this weekend and I might try upping my base fuel pressure to give me a little bit more room with the 720s until the 1150s go in with the 2.3l.

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:33 am
Profile YIM

kinda confused with e85...wont it eventually kill your engine with it being so much more corrosive and such. Knowing you guys, i am sure you have taken precautions on it but why are you are going to run e85? I know it runs cleaner and blahblahblah...why else?

Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:25 pm
Profile YIM
Talon of Doom

$2.79/gallon.
IIRC Research 100octane.
Alcohol so its burns cold, cools down the cylinder big time as it is injected.
Basicaly tune like you are running C16 without spending $20.00/gal.

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:39 pm
Profile WWW

/\ mostly for the performance?!?!?!

Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Profile YIM
helmet polisher

what lines and such need to be changed before you can make the switch?

Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:48 pm
No More 2.3L

The lines are fine, you need a bigger pump and injectors to be able to run any real amount of boost. Before the 2.3 goes on I will be changing to -6AN from the tank to the rail just to be sure I can get enough fuel to the engine.

Also I still need to go and get some legit tuning in but I was cranking up the boost a bit and I go too 22psi with no signs of knock.

-Mike W

Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:53 pm
Profile YIM
helmet polisher

Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:09 pm
No More 2.3L

Just went out and played a little while I was picking up dinner. My boost is holding steady at 19.3psi until 7000 rpm and my timing is at 20.1* at the top of the pull. The 16G is flowing 34.0 lb/min AFRs are holding steady at 11:1 and knock is nowhere to be found. Only downside is my Injector Duty cycle is now 101.7%.

I would be concerned but I am planning to put the 2.3 together on Wednesday so I might even drop it in as soon as next weekend.

-Mike W

Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:44 pm
Profile YIM
DSM Regular

HX-40 on Ethanol

Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:04 pm
No More 2.3L

Thanks for the heads up on the AFRs Mike. I will give it a shot and see how it likes being a little bit leaner.

I already own the -6 line but it isn't installed yet. Are you running into fuel problems with your setup? I am only planning to run the PTE-5031 which should flow less than your HX-40 so I think it will be alright.

-Mike W

Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:43 pm
Profile YIM
DSM Regular

I'm don't have fuel problems. I did my -6an like 3years ago. After I found out it isn't to much bigger than the stock feed. But if you have it already just use it. I'm using the stock feed for my return line now. When I added the 044 inline I did the line from the tank to the 044 in -8an, and it's just as easy to do the -8an as it is -6an.

HX-40 on Ethanol

Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]