[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Gus' 2g gst to gsx story
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Gus' 2g gst to gsx story 
Squish Face

Post Gus' 2g gst to gsx story
So since everyone is making a build thread i decided why not I'll make one too. I think I've made a few small threads like this in the past but I'll tell the whole story here.

First chassis:

Bought this car in high school after saving all my pennies and getting a loan from my pops. Here is the day i bought her and brought her home. About a week later i showed up to my first LADSM meet Circa 06'.

First mods that were done were an open air filter, greddy bov, and some gauges

After about a year i also added an HKS hi power exhaust (still miss this loud POS) because my buddy had one on his supra and i always liked it

About another year passed by and i decided i needed to go faster. I bough a small 16g, and picked up an install kit from RRE (lol)

I also bought an o2 dump since i wanted to be like all the cool kids.

That's about the end of the first part of this story. On my way home from a meet one night me and sam were racing some 350z and i ended up killing my motor. It walked like no one's business that motor did.

After picking up and installing a running 6 bolt i added injectors, head studs, fuel pump, t3 turbonetics 60trim, and an afc. She made right around 320whp on my friends dyno. Shortly after i did an evo 8 ecu swap (probably the 2nd person in socal to do this at the time).

At this point i was tired of breaking transmissions, and being peg legged fwd so i searched and found an awd shell in good shape with a running engine for stupid cheap. I found one but about a month later i got in an accident and the car was totaled.

That car ran good for a whole week before it was wrecked. So i went back to driving my fwd gst

Once that motor kicked the bucket (broken ring lands) i did a backyard build using evo 9 pistons, 1g rods, and 2g head.

That motor lasted a good while, till it decided to kick a rod out the side of the block one spring afternoon.

So after a few motors i was all sad panda and still peg legging fwd. At this point i decided to keep the awd junk car for parts in a future awd swap. I also decided it was time to build a fresh motor, with a forged bottom end.

Specs on the new build:

6 bolt block:
Mahle Pistons 9:1 comp
Eagle H beams
OEM crank
Balanced rotating assembly
ARP main studs
ACL race bearings (rod and main)
BSE
OEM oil pump and straight cut gears
New OEM everything timing belt side (gaskets,seals, pulleys, etc)
ARP head studs
OEM metal head gasket

2g head:
SS standard size valves
Manganeze-bronze valve guides
New valve seals
Evo 9 valve springs and retainers
HKS 264/272

Other:
Big oil cooler about 12x9 with-6 pushlock hose and fittings and MAN mounting bracket i can probably tow the car with LOL.
Custom 2.5" SS o2 housing
true 3" downpipe
GT3255e turbo
RC1000cc injectors
Custom methanol injection setup
custom intercooler setup (lower intecooler pipe built by me, upper built by sam and myself)
Tial q bov

And that was the last motor i built, Its still in the car and running strong. With this setup she made 340whp/300ftlb at 19psi on the RRE dyno.

After another broken transmission i decided it was time for the awd swap, so that's what came next. I'll add some pictures of that later. I'll also be retuning the car with the methanol setup and adding some big boy cams to see what this turbo can make.

For now the car is almost where i want it, the goal is to have a fun DD that i can drive to the grown without any major problems. I average ~1600 miles of driving a month, so my main thing is reliability. I also have somewhat of an obsession with finding a compromise between a car with balls, and good fuel economy. I average about 22mph with a mix of city and street driving so I'm always looking to improve that.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:16 pm
Profile WWW
Squish Face

Post Re: Gus' 2g gst to gsx story
Update:

Started on a new project for the bucket, which will include an evo 3 intake manifold ported (by me) and kelford 272 cams. After these installs I think I'll retune the car. I'll add some pictures of my sexy manifold when i get home.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Post Master

Got anymore pics of that Supra? hehe.

Nice build! I like.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:38 am
Squish Face

Picked up an evo 3 manifold, and I'm in the process of porting it before i install it. Also looking into getting some better cams to max out my turbo.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
frank the tank

nice gus you car has gone a long way

1/4mile 10.5 @ 136 mph personal best 3582R Las Vegas
1/4mile 10.41@ 137.9 mph Fontana personal best 3582R
5 Gears...4 wheel drive/steer...3 Diamonds...2 cams...1 Turbo...0 Reliability

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:26 pm
Profile YIM
Squish Face

So it's been a while but I'm still around. Anyway added a few things to the list since the last update.

GSC s2 cams
GSC beehive valvesprings w/evo aluminum retainers
RC 1200cc injectors
Dsmlink v3 full

I also switched over to e85 as methanol was getting harder to come by. Did some street tuning and according to link she's flowing right around 50-51lb/min, so all in all I'm pretty happy with the new cams and corn. At this point I totally maxed out the walbro 255 (99% IDC's) so I'm probably going to switch over to a walbro 400 to bring those IDC's down. Also have some adjustable cam gears i want to throw on and play with and redo a 91 octane map. I also started saving up my pennies to hopefully get a decent paint job at some point, then I'll be pretty much done with the car for a good while.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:56 pm
Profile WWW

Nice camshaft selection i remember when they had just come out but Kelfords were pretty awesome as well!

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:57 pm
Squish Face

I don't know if anyone even still read this but i have another update, months later... Lol.

Had a mishap and ended up killing a head gasket, overboost+detonation=dead gasket. Ended up removing the head and having it resurfaced to ensure flatness, and dissasembled and inspected the valve train. Picked up another Mitsu MLS gasket and another set of standard ARP's. Got the car back on the road and attended to the cause of the mishap.

Got rid of dsmlink, borrowed an AEM EMS s2 and did some street tuning with the help of my local mad scientist. I love this thing, no cold start issues, full control over errrrthang, awesome. Have a super top secret ecu going in the car when my new wideband comes in and I'll have to re tune the car AGAIN for like the 10th time in the last few months but i know it will be worth it.

Also going to be installing another rail and a secondary set of injectors on my super chingon evo 3 intake manifold I'm almost done with. Looking for 1700-2200cc's of fuel total when all is said and done. Now the hard part is deciding what fuel pump to go with to help support the elotero addition this car has.

Going to post up some pics/screen shots of all the new goodies when i get a chance to.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:58 am
Profile WWW

Yes some of us still read all the threads. Good shit man.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:34 pm
No More 2.3L

Still here and reading, can't wait to see pics or to see it in person.

452 AWHP 446 lb ft of torque e85 FTW!!

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:57 pm
Profile YIM

damn you really have come a long way. Good stuff

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:59 pm
Profile YIM
frank the tank

Gus What's new. ?

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:40 pm
Profile YIM
Squish Face

Not much of an update, but i did do a few things to the car since the last post. I have mostly been playing around with my new DD mirage which gets an awesome 30mph with the ac on. It's nice not having to worry about getting pulled over and getting a ticket for exhaust, or a ref ticket. Anyway, here's what changed since the last post.

Picked up an ETS 3"race intercooler to keep my air temps down, i noticed that even under cold weather conditions the air temps got seriously hot at higher rpm and boost levels. This thing works extremely well. I was looking for a 3.5" but the 3" still satisfied my airflow requirements.

Redid my wastegate plumbing to use both top and bottom ports on my tial, i recommend doing this to anyone with an external and a 3 port solenoid. No more annoying on/off sound of the wastegate under boost and a lot finer control.

Tried using the lucas ethanol stabalizer for about a month. Found out it did nothing for the black gunk that plagues most e85 users.

I actually have some pics to post up but i forgot my photobucket password so i'll have to do that later.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
frank the tank

Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:31 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]