[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - 272 Camshaft Install and Help
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
272 Camshaft Install and Help 
DSM Regular

Post 272 Camshaft Install and Help
Can someone help me install 272 camshafts on my 2g gsx? I have never done it before and need my car to run when im done installing the cams :).. I have beer and can order pizza. Any help is greatly appreciated..

On a side note, has anyone ever heard of Aeromotive cams? I got them off of someone who said they were but I can't find them online..

Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:28 pm

Post Re: 272 Camshaft Install and Help
Might as well replace the timing belt and water pump while you're changing out the cams.

2003 Yamaha R6

Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:38 pm
DSM Regular

I recently replaced the timing belt. Idk about the water pump. I heard it was simple to replace the cam shafts and without having to deal with redoing the timing. Is that true or do you have to take the motor out?

Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:43 pm
DSM Regular

About 3500 miles ago..

Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:45 pm
Quagmire

1. make sure cylinder 1 is at top dead center
2. remove cam gear cover and valve cover
3. make sure cam marks are lined up and make sure again cylinder 1 is TDC
4. zip tie the timing belt to the cams so it doesn't move.
5. use tensioner tool to give you some slack AFTER you have secured the timing belt to the cams and make sure the cams do not fall off.
6. remove intake cam and insure that the cam caps go exactly where you took them off.
7. install new cam and make sure it's in the right position. Also make sure you lube it up.
8. install cam caps exactly from where they came from and torque to spec.
9. repeat with exhaust side
10. once all bolted up, make sure cam marks are lined up and all timing marks are where they are suppose to be.
11. remove zip ties, crank over by hand 8 times to ensure nothing is kissing
12. install covers
13. pray and hope it starts up without any problems.
14. Enjoy lumpy idle

Do a search on DSMTuners. Theres tons of write ups on there on how to do it. I broke it down just to give you an idea on how to do it

Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:06 pm
DSM Regular

I'm mechanically retarted at times and don't have money to fix any problems I may cause along the way thats why Im asking for help. Also, I am still building my tool collection so don't have a tensioner tool or torque wrench..

Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:32 pm
DSM Regular

I do you can borrow them pm me

Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:39 pm
Talon of Doom

PMed

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:25 am
Profile WWW
DSM Regular

Thanks H8VTEC for the advice and the tutorial. I may end up trying it myself. What lube would I use?

Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:49 am
Death to Head Gaskets!

ASSEMBLY LUBE

Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:58 am
DSM Regular

Is there anyone that is better to use? Thank you everyone for your input, it really helps alot. :)

Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:18 am
Death to Head Gaskets!

any assembly lube is fine. honestly i have even just used oil, the whole process only takes a couple hours if your experienced, if your not it might take you twice that

Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:23 am
DSM Regular

Thanks Black_gst.. So has anyone ever heard of aeromotive cams?

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:26 pm
DSM Regular

Heard of aeromotive but not about their cams, adjustable fuel pressure regulator yes

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:39 pm
DSM Regular

yeah same here.. it has something inscribed that looks like their logo.. maybe he was lying or something?? ill try to upload a picture maybe someone could identify it..

Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next