[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Annoying ticking sound
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Annoying ticking sound 
DSM Regular

Post Annoying ticking sound
Hey guys,

I've been noticing the past few weeks my 4g63 has been making a ticking noise frm start up.... When I let it sit at idle and fully warm up it goes away. But as a slightly press on the gas it comes bak, untill after driving it 10-30 mins it then completly goes away. It happens frm 1k-1.8k rpm...

I did an experiment once and floord it while it was ticking, it made a loud screeching noise together with the spool up... But then goes away after the second run. I don't understand it cuz the engines fully warmed up, the oils been circulating... But still taps/ticks... It's not the valves cuz the valves would tick/tap at every rpm...

What could it be? Anyone ran into this prob...

Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:52 am
Death to Head Gaskets!

Post Re: Annoying ticking sound
lifter tick

Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:53 am
Death to Head Gaskets!

it happens to our cars, it pretty common usually not serious, what weight oil are you running?

Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:55 am
Goderator

Bombs: bad, hard drives: bad, our cars: :-|

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:01 am
DSM Regular

I'm using 20w50 valvoline vr1...

So it's my lifters.... Hmmm
After driving it a while, it then happens still around 1k-1.4k rpm, but not as loud. It never really goes away. Jus gets quieter.

Are there any solutions, or is it just normal.... I've never heard it before 50k-60k miles, it sounds like gets louder an louder every month that goes by.

It Makes my dsm sound broken when I'm around ppl... lol

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:40 am

Why 20w50? That's too thick of an oil for these dsm's unless you have oil leaks that are pretty bad...

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:56 am

3rd gen revised lifters seems to be a good fix for the lifter tick.

2003 Yamaha R6

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:22 am
DSM Regular

I figured as much... That's the weight I was told to use by a few members here, coming frm using standard conventional oil.... I had a feeling it was too thick. But 20w50 is all I could find for the VR1's....

I'll have to find another type of oil to use, should I change it asap? Or is it ok to wait, I just changed it the begining of this month. I still got 2.5k miles left till I change it again.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:35 am

meh, you can wait until next oil change. a number of us use Mobil 1 oil. 10w30 unless you have some oil seapage or minor leaks or higher miles, then 10w40 would be better imo

Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:23 pm
frank the tank

1/4mile 10.5 @ 136 mph personal best 3582R Las Vegas
1/4mile 10.41@ 137.9 mph Fontana personal best 3582R
5 Gears...4 wheel drive/steer...3 Diamonds...2 cams...1 Turbo...0 Reliability

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:40 pm
Profile YIM

^^ +1

I run 20-50 convential VR1 here too. Probably not necessary for a pretty basic setup or daily driver. I don't drive my car every day, but when I do it's usually seeing 35+ psi of boost and a little nitrous. VR1 did pretty well in Forced Performance's oil study and it's price makes it a very attractive choice. Although you can get jug (4.75 quarts) of Mobile 1 for about $25 at walmart.

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merc ... %20Oil.pdf

Another read, if you're bored, regarding 20-50 oil in EVO's and oil pump life in high performance applications:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... er=2206204

10.67@126mph

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:49 pm
Profile YIM

I agree with my esteem colleges above. VR1 is great for higher hp motors. As a matta of fact, thats the only reason why I broke into the tens & that aint no bullshit either! :rolleyes:

531.5whp 414.8tq @ 29psi, FP3575 on Q16

Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:59 pm
DSM Regular

I see... Being that I'm daily driving it, well under 14psi. Thers no need for 20w50... I punch it (occasionaly lol) when hondas/acuras wanna see what i got.... Or other imports. but I don't race alot. It's stock, what attracks people is the spool up being loud frm the cone filter I have.... (no exhaust) i like it quiet... Even tho someday I'll drop in a full 3" turbo back, but still keep the stok muffler in the end.

A friend of mine had a brand new 5gal of penzoil 10w30 laying around. I jacked him an used it to see if it was the oil, and it was... Now every morning the ticking is 90% quieter and it goes away pretty quickly (10-15 seconds). When i was running the 20w50 vr1, it was hella loud and took (4-8) minutes for it to go away.

I'm gonna read up on how to clean my lifters... I heard there's this oil additive that's added before an oil change to get rid of all the gunk, and quitens lifters... Gonna do some research :)

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:34 pm

aftermarket exhaust doesn't mean it has to be loud. my 3" RS*R catback isn't much louder than stock...and i'm not running a cat.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:44 pm
DSM Regular

Really... I've never heard an aftermarket that was quiet... Or close to quiet. I'll have to check that rs-r for sure now lol, u got a pic? And the model info, How much do they run...

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next