[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Auto Trany issue?
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Auto Trany issue? 
DSM Regular

Post Auto Trany issue?
When I'm coasting at 40mph, an I slam on the breaks for some reason (trying to make a red light but couldn't, or someone cutting me off) the tranny makes a loud "bang", It happens when I have it in od, i was thinking it takes forever to decelerate which is why when i come to a complete stop frm 40, it goes straight frm 3gear to first, which results in the "bang".

Im not sure If it's normal or not... Haven't had this car long to know

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:00 am

Post Re: Auto Trany issue?
It's pretty normal to hear a clunk when the auto downshifts fast. I won't say for sure there isn't a problem though as I'm not there to hear how loud or violent the "bang" is. But, just so you know, the autos are known to make noise now and again while downshifting. Check your tranny fluid, make sure its full and isn't brown or burned smelling. If that all checks out I'd say you are probably ok. It actually might not be a bad idea to service it if it hasn't been done in a while.

10.67@126mph

Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:38 am
Profile YIM

Like the dust man said, always check fluid level & condition first. Two things come to mind kickdown servo & trans/motor mounts. Check those out.

531.5whp 414.8tq @ 29psi, FP3575 on Q16

Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:10 am
DSM Regular

Post Auto Trany issue?
Ok kool... I checked the trany fluid, it's a light brown color... I'm gonna change it over the weekend. Any good fluids I should use? An stay away frm.... I was told redline or royal purple is good fluid but not sure If dsms agree with it.

I'll check the mounts as well... A few times a day going into drive isn't as smooth as it used to be. But then it comes an goes, it smooth at times an sometimes it's a bit rough... Which could be signs of an immediate fluid change is needed.

Thnx for the info, much appreciated

Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:28 am

531.5whp 414.8tq @ 29psi, FP3575 on Q16

Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:53 am
DSM Regular

Have you guys ever used transmissions fluid "TranSynd" ? It's used on Allison transmissions on heavy duty trucks. That oil is good for 100K miles on those trucks. My old instructor said if you put it on a car you will probably never need to replace the oil.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:14 pm
Talon of Doom

Another thing is the lower control arm bolt that holds the shock fork onto the LCA, It's supposed to be installed with the threads pointing to the front of the car and head towards the back. If not, the bolt hits the comression arm under hard braking and gives you a really bad clunk.

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:18 am
Profile WWW
DSM Regular

i have a automatic gst too!! and i suffered that many months until i replace the engines mounts to polyurathane ($70 ebay), since the tranny is a full replacement mount it works really good! check them out and remember CHANGE ALL OF THEM AT THE SAME TIME because if u just change the cracked one it wont make a difference... valvoline has ATF for imports full synthetic maybe 5 bucks a bottle if u go to o'reilly ask for it because we dont have it for display lol it covers diamond sp I II and III, the filter with gasket runs for like 15 dollars very recomemded to replace, i also add a black bottle of lubegard ($10) ATF friction modifier and it works really awsome u dont even feel the shifts try it and let us know goog luck :drinkers:

Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:20 am
DSM Regular

Post Auto Trany issue?
Thnx! For ur tips...

Im Changing my tranny fluid today, what a coincidence.... Lol. Gonna try the valvoline syn ATF fluid with the lube guard an see how it goes. The mounts look fine, it was hardly driven, it was my moms grocery getter... Haha. I think it's the fluid, she can't remember the last time she changed it (her words) , but it was years ago.

But I will change all the mounts sooner or later to polyurethane.

This is most likely the wrong place to ask this question, but since were talking about tranys.... Can an auto trany gst do the 2step launch? Ive read that it's mainly for awd...

:cheers:

Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:19 am
DSM Regular

Post Auto Trany issue?
Forgot to add above....

-- Ive read that the 2step launch was ment for awd (manual) tranys, never seen in forums of a gst fwd auto have it

Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]