[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Tweaking last night.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Tweaking last night. 
Talon of Doom

Post Tweaking last night.
Been on a road to longevity and cooling. I want to set the car up for more than just speed and power.

Replaced the radiator with a new mishimoto, this one is a temp, and will be switching it to dual pass crossflow in the future.
Added a power steering cooler
And fabbed up a new intercooler using a griffen core.
Still have a bit of insulation to do between the condenser and radiator and also some air ducting.

Chopped the hood latch support off and welded in a round tube, marginally better airflow, to the radiator, but mainly helped with intercooler clearances, and just a cleaner setup

Built the base for the power steering cooler off of the new support.

Added mounting bungs

Mounted Cooler ran lines

The griffin core used in the intercooler is a tube and fin style 2.75" thick core,
about 1" shorter than my previous FMIC but is maybe 3~4" longer not counting end tanks, just core alone.
Tube and fin designs (especially griffin) offer better thermal design. Way more efficient at cooling down the air vs a bar and plate design.
Look at the internal design of a tube and fin vs a bar and plate
Tube/Fin

Bar/plate

This will allow better charge cooling using a smaller and thinner core, allowing more airflow to the radiator for cooling purposes at the cost of restricting the engines breathing. At this point I dont think that whatever airflow restriction the Griffin has wont effect me, it looks adequate to flow the air I need to make power.

Fabbing the intercooler:
Fabricating end tanks

Welding it to the core

Fitment

Outlet endtank welded, mounting brackets, and installed

Intercooler Done.

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:57 am
Profile WWW
Death to Head Gaskets!

Post Re: Tweaking last night.
looking good Sam!

Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:07 am
No More 2.3L

Looks real good Sam. I wish I had time and shop space out here to play with my car more.

Did you ever have any problems with the stock power steering cooler?

452 AWHP 446 lb ft of torque e85 FTW!!

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:41 am
Profile YIM

Sickness.. I want

Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:32 am
Goderator

I think he doesnt want his power steering fluid to brn up like we watch Juns at the track, haha. Get ready Sam, im going to be bringing mine in for some aero and cooling soon.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:34 am

Good shit man! Real nice work as usual Sam. :drinkers:

10.67@126mph

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:32 am
Profile YIM

So that's what's been going on @ the shop. I noticed a few times the doors have been open on my way to work. Looks good Samson. Will you be adding a temp sensor on the p/s? Just curious how high temps shoot up, especially on a course.

531.5whp 414.8tq @ 29psi, FP3575 on Q16

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:45 am

DSM99 likes this *thumbs up*

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:52 am
Talon of Doom

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:54 pm
Profile WWW

Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
frank the tank

nice sam

1/4mile 10.5 @ 136 mph personal best 3582R Las Vegas
1/4mile 10.41@ 137.9 mph Fontana personal best 3582R
5 Gears...4 wheel drive/steer...3 Diamonds...2 cams...1 Turbo...0 Reliability

Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:59 pm
Profile YIM
No More 2.3L

I still have the stock cooler, if you can call it a cooler, and I haven't had any issues yet. Your overall setup looks awesome Sam.

452 AWHP 446 lb ft of torque e85 FTW!!

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:10 pm
Profile YIM
Talon of Doom

Confirmed, Head gasket is leaking. Coolant overflow is full again after emptying it. Not too worried, kind of happy that I can finally fix that bent valve, replace those valve stem seals and maybe a valve guide for running 30K+ miles on a bent valve. Gunna do a block test tomorrow just to put the final nail in the coffin. Surprised it lasted this long with a leaky radiator for the last 2 years running 1 gallon of coolant all the time and the shit I put it through driving 400 miles across the desert in 108* weather to and from AZ and a daily healthy dose of boost. I'm at 50K or so miles on this engine, time for a new T-belt and maintenance. So, kill all with one stone.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:48 am
Profile WWW
Talon of Doom

I guess my head gasket is not leaking. : (
Cleaned up my plugs since I was having really a violent misfire problem and been getting rowdy on the fun pedal lately. Haven't had to add any coolant at all. Been tweaking the setup some more and focusing on cooling and doing a few back to back pulls and logging AITs, coolant and all the other jazz. Car is running solid. I think the passenger side front axle is giving up and the rear outer right CV is also failing... Fuck my life with these damn axles. Every now and then I'll make a pull and just as peak torque hit I hear this nasty sound that almost sound like REALLLY BAD Detonation. Log check and its good. And I can feel the sound in the pedal, so I'm thinking drive train related.

But tonight, I did some tweaking and lookie what I made in 1 hour having arts and crafts time. Guess what it is.

On the way home tonight I noticed an interesting observation. I always though I needed more airflow to the radiator to get this thing cool and been focusing on airflow. BUT!! While I was cruising at 30mph in 3rd gear, hovering around 2K RPMs. I watched my temps, it pretty much stuck at 194* the whole time. Downshift into 2nd at that same speed and load (cruising) my temps dropped 4 degrees to 190* and stayed there. Upshift, 194. Downshift 190.
My temps would drop 4* with a change of 1000RPM. This leads me to believe there is something up with coolant flow. Tomorrow I will be swapping out my upper radiator hose (old, seeping a bit) and thermostat (currently running a 190*, wanna drop to a 180*) and see how it goes. I'm thinking that the thermostat isn't opening enough at operating temp and barely letting coolant pass. As RPM climb, pump pressure increases, and allows more to pass.

I'll keep this thread updated with the keep cool stuff.

Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:12 am
Profile WWW

Post Tweaking last night.
My 1g takes forever to warm up with the 160* thermostat. That's all I know so far haha

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]