View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Timing Belt Time 

Post Timing Belt Time
so this morning i decided to check the timing on my gst before i do my timing belt just to make sure sure that its not off by any teeth and wont have to worry about replacing some slightly bent valves. well the good news, as i was taking off the timing belt cover, the mailman came and brought me my timing belt components that i ordered from partsdinosaur, so i was ecstatic about that. the bad news; i didnt order the balance shaft belt because i was almost sure that my car had the balance shaft elmination done. my reasoning behind this is because i could feel a slight vibration from the engine, but nothing unbearable. also my oil pressure gauge showed slightly higher oil pressure than a stock turbo dsm. anyways, as i removed the timing belt cover, i see the balance shaft belt ripped. miraculously it didnt take out my timing belt, but im not sure how long its been like that. might have been since before i got the car. :bang: so i just ordered the bs belt and bearing from partsdinosaur again. luckily, he has fast shipping.
so anyways, another issue that arose, is that while i tried to turn the crank clockwise by hand, as per my chiltons, the timing belt skipped a tooth due to loose tension or a worn out belt. at first i had set all the pulleys to their respective timing marks to make sure it was in time, but the only pulley that was off was the oil pump pulley. so i tried to crank the engine by hand a few more times to get the oil pump pulley on its mark, and thats when the belt skipped teeth. but prior to that, all marks lined up, but as i kept trying to crank the engine by hand, i was able to feel the pistons hit the valves. so i cant crank it anymore. now heres my question, if i put the cam gears to their proper timing without putting the crank pulley on its timing mark, and then putting the crank pulley on its timing mark, and then putting the oil pump on its timing mark, will i damage anything? i will be turning everything clockwise by hand like stated in my chiltons. also, if all timing marks lined up, but since i couldnt check the oil pump pulley, do you guys think i might have some bent valves?
later today when i get to school i plan on printing out the timing belt vfaq to use that as a guide.

2003 Yamaha R6

Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:53 pm
DSM Regular

Post Re: Timing Belt Time
well take the timing belt off put the cams were they belong put the crank were it belongs and the oil pump were it belongs and you should be alright as long as you didnt try to start it being off a tooth or two cause turning it by hand and hiting a valve wont bend it unless you turned it real fast and forced it, then you might of damage something.
How come you dont go Riverside Mitsu and get BS belt and tensioner?
Just tell Dave over there and he'll give you a good deal.......

Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:54 pm

riverside is too far, and i am without a car now since i dont want to drive my car anymore because of the timing belt being loose. and puente hills has the balance shaft belt and tensioner for a little over $100, and im sure that riverside mitsubishi wont get me as good a deal as partsdinosaur.
thanks for your input noah, thats what i was planning on doing, but i wanted to be certain that nothing would get damaged in doing so. and no, i didnt try turning on my car at all. i did all the cranking by hand and decided to leave my car on jackstands until i do the timing belt job.

2003 Yamaha R6

Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:01 pm
DSM Regular

Tell Art at puente hills mitsu you know me and he'll give a good deal also it just that puente never stocks 1g-2g parts.......only EVO stuff I know Art and Dave from way back

Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:29 pm
Talon of Doom

http://vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-1G.html

Read it first before doing it. Read it again. Then do it while reading it.

Pre-install Check list - http://vfaq.com/mods/Tbelt-checklist-pre.html
Removal Check list - http://vfaq.com/mods/Tbelt-checklist-rem.html
Install Check list - http://vfaq.com/mods/Tbelt-checklist-inst.html

Follow the above to the dot, and you'll be alright.

Also, as a tip, when you get just the right amount of pre-tension on the belt via rotation of the tensioner pulley clockwise, the two dowel holes will be around 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock, and the "grenade" pin will easily slide out of the hydrualic tensioner WITH NO FRICTION WHAT SO EVER. If it doesn't its too tight or too loose. You should be able to pull the pin, wait 60 seconds and be able to put it back in. If so, then your good to go.

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:33 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah, a few times I've had to wait for parts to come in, but since ive gotten most of the maintenance done to my gst, the parts I needed didn't affect me much since my car hasn't seen downtime except twice after I just barely bought the car, but I blame it on the ignorance of the previous owner though and I had to repair where the po neglected.

2003 Yamaha R6

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:42 pm

Alright, so yesterday I completed my tbelt job along with a new thermostat and water pump. It took me awhile to get the tension correct, but I eventually got it, but I fear I may have set it a little too tight. I can hear a slight whining sound coming from my belt, but I'm not sure if it's my accessories belts or my tbelt. My buddy installed the accessories belts, but I need to replace them anyways. So today I will look into getting those and replacing them, and if the whining persists, it may be because I could have probably overtightened my tbelt a little too much. This can shorten the lfe of the bearings, correct?
I don't want my 2g to have the same fate as my 1g when I did the tbelt on it. Everything seemed good, and within a month, the tensioner crapped out on it, but I also just replaced only the tbelt thinking it would be good. Back then in my more noob days I didn't realize I should have replaced all the tbelt components. But i feel more at peace after this recent tbelt job because i replaced all components and did it exactly as the vfaq says, just that slight whining has me a little worried. with that said, roughly how many miles should I wait for the tbelt to properly "break in" so I can start puttin the air pedal to the floor?

2003 Yamaha R6

Tue May 03, 2011 5:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]