[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - A sad day...
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
A sad day... 
DSM Regular

Post A sad day...
So I finally got a GSX that I've always wanted, got it setup how I want, and was looking forward to finally meeting everyone at the Monday meet...until I got in an accident today and pretty much totaled the car. AHHH, almost cried...

I really want to try and find another GSX, or maybe try and swap the engine since it still started up and only has about 3-4 thousand miles since the rebuild...Any recommendations...anyone else had experience totaling their DSM...did insurance screw you over?

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:58 pm
Official Photographer

Post Re: A sad day...
thats a bummer, good luck. get together any receipts you can find or parts and work done, a few members have had some cars totaled out or almost

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:06 pm
Profile WWW

Sorry about the accident! That sucks man. Here's the trick. Have insurance total the car, and pitch them anything that will up the total value of the car like aftermarket parts, fresh rebuild on the motor, etc. Then you buy back the car at it's salvaged value. If you're lucky, the difference will be enough to buy a shell and transfer all your parts. Somebody on the site is selling a 2g for $1500 I think...I could be wrong. I bet you could find a broken down GSX for under $2k. It all comes down to whether or not you have the garage space, tools, and tech know how to swap everything.

Oh, btw, my advice on insurance is assuming you have good insurance. I have state farm and they paid out $3,000 for my totaled 1990 1g!!! I bought it back at the salvaged rate of $150! :D

Good luck!

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Official Photographer

yeah hopefully you have good insurance, Clint gives good advice above, and I do know a member on here got 10k for his totaled 99 non turbo eclipse

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:41 pm
Profile WWW

Bwahahahaha I wonder who that was. :twisted:

Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:35 pm
DSM Regular

Thanks so much for the advice, yea, it really shook me up, was my first car accident ever. I have USAA insurance which thus far has been awesome and I have all of the receipts for the car. I don't have the garage space to swap everything over to a clean shell unfortunately...but maybe if I can find a shell that just needs an engine, I could find a spot to swap it in.

So the insurance will pay and then I can buy the car back from the salvage yard?

Damn...how'd you manage 10K for the 99 non turbo??? That's inspiring!

Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:38 pm
DSM Regular

http://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/2330924736.html

95 GSX appears to just need a motor...

Sorry about your loss man, its really sad to see something you cared about go even if its 'just' your car :/

Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:56 pm

Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:14 am
Profile WWW
Goderator

Mind posting any pics of the wreckage to see how much of the car is salvageable to you?

Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:54 am
DSM Regular

yea...here's the damage, only got a couple pics

Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:49 am
Goderator

Looks like you skidded into a car and then rear ended? Judging from the front, I'd take a bet everything from your exhaust manifold back is in good shape and would do a pretty good job and filling a shell. Decide if you're going to buy it back yet?

Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:07 am

Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:51 am
DSM Regular

Still waiting on the insurance to evaluate the car, but I'm planning to buy it back, I'll keep you posted. I've been considering moving to another model car...but I really want another GSX.

After the accident, the engine still started up and I was able to drive the car to the side so I think the engine and turbo may be ok, not sure about the tranny and rear LSD diff though.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:52 am
Death to Head Gaskets!

insurance will total it for sure. id bet the rear end is fine. id look for a cracked bell housing on the trans but i doubt.

sorry about your bad luck man. i hope you fin another one

Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:21 am

Sorry to hear Ive met you twice and I know you were planning to go the meets. Your a good guy, sorry for the accident :( . The good thing you came out ok. You can always get another DSM

Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:43 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next