[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - 20g turbo helpp!!!!
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
20g turbo helpp!!!! 

Post Re: 20g turbo helpp!!!!
The size of the injector and FP depends on how much boost your going to run and maybe some other stuff to keep up with the flow. Theres a lot of external setups available it all depends on what you want. You can go the tial route. Looks like what you need to bolt on the 20G and get it running is a FMIC and external setup.

Heres a external setup dumped to atmosphere
http://stores.punishment-racing.com/-st ... Detail.bok

Heres one that recirculated

You can probably mock this FMIC setup to fit the 20g but you wont be using the J-Pipe and the j pipe elbow.

Also heres a thread where the guy mounted the above fmic on his 20G it looks like he used the pipe after the j pipe and used that pipe instead of the one thats on your 20G.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turbo-s ... ic-2g.html

Hope this helps and is enough info.....

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:33 am
DSM Regular

wow.. thanx wally really appreciate ur help.. ill let u know if anyhting else becomes hard for me to figure out during my project :hfive:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:28 pm

The help posted so far is good (except for the recommendation to sell it if you want to DD it...I DD an HX35), but it seems as though you need to do some reading up on how to go about maintaining and modifying your car before slapping on a bigger turbo. You need to be aware of the necessary supporting mods. You need to be able to monitor the air/fuel ratio and boost pressure, and you need to have some sort of way to control fuel and timing. Additionally you should have a datalogger to log all of this.

Here's a really good starting point for learning EVERYTHING you need to know about DSMs. Note that some of the pages at the VFAQ are down. If this is the case, copy the LINK LOCATION for that page (not just the URL at the top of the page, b/c the VFAQ is in frames. To get the original url of the missing page, you have to right click and "copy link location", or open the link in a new tab or new window). Once you have the URL, go to http://www.archive.org and type the URL into the "wayback machine" search. You should be able to find the old pages there.

Sorry if that sounded complicated. Here are the links, with the most important ones at the top:

(browse the categories)

Here's an absolute minimum list of what I think you will NEED to get to be able to install the turbo (this will be somewhat redundant):
- Front Mount Intercooler (FMIC) and piping. The 90 degree bend welded to the compressor outlet that has the coupler on it is designed for FMIC piping rather than stock side mount IC piping. You could have the turbo modified to have the outlet point towards the SMIC if you wanted, but you'll be needing a FMIC anyways for when you turn up the boost so you might as well get it now.
- After market O2 housing with provision for an external wastegate (because the internal waste gate was removed from the turbo)
- External wastegate (which can be bought with an O2 housing like Wally posted). Be *SURE* you order springs that will open the wastegate at STOCK boost pressure until you have bigger injectors and fuel control. I'm actually not sure how much PSI is safe to run on a 20g with stock injectors so maybe someone else can chime in here.
- Miscellaneous hardware like new crush washers for the oil and water lines, as well as turbo gaskets
- Boost gauge - you HAVE to see how much boost pressure you're making so you don't blow things up. I suppose you could rely on the wastegate to open with the proper spring pressure, but you won't really know how much pressure you're making.

Here's a list of what I think you SHOULD GET as soon as possible after installing the turbo
- Wideband air/fuel sensor with display. Air/fuel ratio is the most important thing to monitor to keep from blowing your engine up. I recommend Zeitronix for this but there are other choices out there. With zeitronix you can add a MAP sensor which will display boost too so you don't need to get a boost gauge. You can add a bunch of other sensors too.
- Engine management. You need to be able to control fuel and spark to turn up the boost. The most popular solution is DSMLink, but again there are other options out there. Some engine management solutions come with a datalogger. If you buy one that doesn't you should get a datalogger too.
- Bigger fuel injectors and fuel pump. These are necessary to supply more fuel when turning up the boost.
- Aftermarket intake/exhaust to be able to flow the air that the turbo will be pumping.
- Last, but not least, a boost controller. Most people want to install this first, but you really have to have fuel/timing control and datalogging capabilities along with a wideband to turn up the boost safely.

Also, if you check out the stickies in the tech section, there's a link to factory service manuals. These will have all the info you need for maintenance and installs.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:20 am
Profile WWW
Talon of Doom

First and foremost, and i cant stress it enough, DO ALL THE MAINTENANCE FIRST BEFORE TRYING TO GO FASTER!!! You have no idea how many people don't listen to me about this, and the car breaks down, and they get frustrated and set the car on fire or get rid of it. But honestly, it is a 15+ year old car, probably been abused, raced and neglected for the last 10 years by 5 different owners. Shit is all Jerry rigged and just asking to fall apart. So don't be surprised with it does. I can honestly say that my car, at my power levels, I drive it everyday with no engine hickups at all. My goal was to get 400whp and make it to 60K miles, and so far this engine is at 30K~40K right now and 440whp, with not one oil leak, and just perfect.
Drivetrain is still failing and under some testing, but its getting there.

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:47 am
Profile WWW
DSM Regular

thanx for all the help... wat would be the most important things in maintanance so i would get my car to last.. i know i gots to do timing belts and stuff cus if that goes out im effed.. but wat else

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:17 pm

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:52 pm
DSM Regular

cool bro thanx.. i will definately do this first before throwning in the turbo so my car can last.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2