[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Weird problem
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Weird problem 
Post Master

Post Weird problem
Not my car, but a friend of mine.
He called me and told me his car was acting up and stuff.
He came over and right when he opened the hood it smelled like something was fried.
According to him, he punched it to 6k on 2-3 after that everything went down.
He said that he was going like 20mph at the most and his turbo(stock) was spooling like crazy(on stock gauge up to 3/4 up) but the engine was not revving hard or anything.
I checked his oil and he had a little under the bottom line.
When he turns on the car it struggles and makes a harsh noise near the timing side and doesn't turn on only after a couple tries. When he free revved the engine a pretty loud tick noise started behind the or around the intake manifold but once he let off the gas the noise went away.
I have no clue what could be wrong.
He said the SRS light came on for a little and then disappeared.
Any help please.

P.S. The engine is bone stock except for a K&N filter.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:09 pm
Talon of Doom

Post Re: Weird problem
I call BS on the 20mph. 6K on 2nd gear is about 40~50mph or so.
The stock guage doesn't mean you have boost. The guage doesn't actually read pressure (boost) it reads air going through the MAF sensor. You can take the hose off the throttle body and rev it up and the turbo will suck air through the sensor, and the gauge will go up, but there wont be any pressure in the the hose/intercooler/intake manifold (no boost). So the stock gauge is useless.
Describe the harsh noise, to some a loud bang scares people and they think that's harsh, my car goes BOOM when things work right so to me, BOOM or BANG! is normal.

Several things will make the car hard to start, jumped timing will. Also a BIG boost leak will also. Check the obvious first, DO A BOOST LEAK TEST!, don't just check the clamps and hoses, and "it all LOOKS ok", that is not a boost leak test, do an actual test.

That tick can be lifter tick or normal injector tick, most people don't notice its there till they are looking for a problem and they hear it and think its something when it was always there the whole time. Makes sense that it ticks while reving up and stops when letting off, injectors shut off on decel.

The SRS coming on for a quick bit sounds like alternator either over volting or under volting at high RPM, signs of a failing alternator. The SRS, Brake, and one other light comes on at high RPM.

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:25 am
Profile WWW
Post Master

What I meant by 20mph, I didn't mean he did the pull on 2nd and he was only going 20pmh.
He was cruising AFTER he did the pull at about 20mph when he started to hear his turbo spool.
He said it was spooling as if he were to be punching it but the engine was barely around 2-3k???
The noise you might be right about the injectors making noise, my car has never had the noises (knock on wood) so that's why they seem off to me.
It was pretty late at night when he came last, but I'll do a boost leak whenever we get a chance to meet up.
Btw, it might not make a difference but he has a pretty darn new alternator.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:19 am

Just because its a new alternator that doesn't mean its going to work. Couple of guys here bought "new" alts just for them to start acting up. My 2 cents

Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:20 pm
Profile YIM
frank the tank

1/4mile 10.5 @ 136 mph personal best 3582R Las Vegas
1/4mile 10.41@ 137.9 mph Fontana personal best 3582R
5 Gears...4 wheel drive/steer...3 Diamonds...2 cams...1 Turbo...0 Reliability

Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:40 pm
Profile YIM
Post Master

Hmm i see.
We still have to do a boost leak.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:27 am
Post Master

Unable to do a boost leak do to the car not starting for shit, he decided to toe it to a mechanic to get a diagnosis and they told him he jumped timing and bent a couple valves.
Looks like hes gonna drop some serious cash.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:09 pm
frank the tank

1/4mile 10.5 @ 136 mph personal best 3582R Las Vegas
1/4mile 10.41@ 137.9 mph Fontana personal best 3582R
5 Gears...4 wheel drive/steer...3 Diamonds...2 cams...1 Turbo...0 Reliability

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:20 pm
Profile YIM
Post Master

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]