[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Front main seal
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Front main seal 

Post Front main seal
Took the car to the shop and I was told my oil pan leaks along with my front main seal. This would explain why my firewall transfer and everything else is covered in oil SOB. How does someone replace the front mail seal does it pop off with something. Or does everything need to be pulled from the front of the motor. Any links would be helpful with pics :D . I dont want the shop doing a halfass job on it. I would do it but no space unless anybody here wants to help me out ill pay for the job and buy as much beer needed to replace the seal.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Post Re: Front main seal
Im reading somewhere that I need to drop the crank and the front case to do this PLEASE tell me these are lies and its easier this is already looking expensive. Just out of curiosity what made this seal give out at such low miles.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:49 pm
frank the tank

1/4mile 10.5 @ 136 mph personal best 3582R Las Vegas
1/4mile 10.41@ 137.9 mph Fontana personal best 3582R
5 Gears...4 wheel drive/steer...3 Diamonds...2 cams...1 Turbo...0 Reliability

Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:29 am
Profile YIM
Post Master

It's pretty much an entire timing belt job to replace the front main seal. Everything on the front of the motor has to come off. If your timing belt got soaked in oil, you're going to want to change it too.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:08 am

Yeah I just removed the timing cover and the belt looks really shiny now just gonna get it towed to a shop and have them do the timing belt and oil pan work on it. This is stupid and a waste of money knowing I can do it myself. Went to mitsu and picked up OEM stuff from them for the work.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:04 pm

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:55 pm
Profile YIM
DSM Regular

Front main is part of the oil pump cover the crank does not have to come out. the seal just presses into the oil pump case.

1991 tsi awd stock bottom end w/ 2g head, kiggly springs, HKS 272's, RC1200's, shep4, QM twin, fp manifold, full megan exhaust, hx35 in bep housing, ets 4" fmic, BJ'sSMIM, Tial bov, tial 41mm, v3 ecmlink SD, 30psi, E85, 99 problems and this Bitch is one

Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:45 pm

FML!!!!!

After all the work that was done and all the OEM parts that where thrown on this POS is still leaking oil WTF!!! Its coming from the same spot and leaking the same amount. Ill try and post up a vid of how it leaks. Do you guys know on what else I should check. The problem started after 2k miles when I converted my car to 5 speed can a bad TOB be causing this, and I know that sounds stupid but I'm lost. Also maybe the clutch is messing with crank and then the crank is messing with the seal?? Any info would be great.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:28 am
DSM Regular

where was the oil pump purchased from?

the parts dinosaur oil pumps bypass in the bottom of the pump is not located in the proper place and when the oil pan is put on it seals that hole up causing the front main to leak as the bypass.

1991 tsi awd stock bottom end w/ 2g head, kiggly springs, HKS 272's, RC1200's, shep4, QM twin, fp manifold, full megan exhaust, hx35 in bep housing, ets 4" fmic, BJ'sSMIM, Tial bov, tial 41mm, v3 ecmlink SD, 30psi, E85, 99 problems and this Bitch is one

Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:47 pm
DSM Regular

hole that is being referred to(OEM pump in picture)

Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]