[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Changing Rotor help
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Changing Rotor help 
Post Master

Post Changing Rotor help
Mine are warped as hell and when braking the entire car shakes like a mo'fo.
Any opinions on EBC rotors?
I know I have to remove the brackets (2 bolts) and the castle nut.
Any idea on what size the castle nut is??
And do I have to bleed the system if just removing the rotor??
Thanks.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:58 pm
Goderator

Post Re: Changing Rotor help
You don't have to remove the castle nut. If you're going to be changing just the pads, take out the caliper sliding bolts at the top and bottom corner or the caliper on the inside of the car, usually remove the top and loosen the bottom so it'll swing out vs it hanging there by the hose. slides the pads out and with the brake reservoir open, by hand or with a large c-clamp compress the piston back into the caliper all the way. popped the new ones in greased properly and reverse order the install, bleed brakes if needed. If you're doing rotors too, do the same process to take out the pads then remove the two small nuts that bolt into the hub to remove the entire caliper with bracket. The rotor should just pop off, put your new ones on, put the small bolts back in and do as above.

I'd recommend stock rotor with upgraded pads like Metalmasters, Porterfield R4S or Stoptech pads. The OEM rotor is usually sufficient for most people's street use. Good pads make a huge improvement on their own. Change your brake fluid as well if it's been over 2-3 years.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:22 am
Post Master

The thing is that the car came with slotted front rotors. So I don't have the stock rotors.
I see, so good pads is what makes a difference?
I can get both stock replacement and good aftermarket rotors for about the same price.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:34 am
Goderator

Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:46 am
Post Master

Either EBC or Power Slot.
No?

Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:19 am
Goderator

If they're in your price range, go ahead and get them. The largest braking performance you'll notice is going to come from a good set of pads and a fresh brake fluid system.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:49 am
Post Master

Do you happen to know what the maximum rotor size can be installed on the dust shield?
Cuz the rotors I have on usually hit the dust shield?
Is 10.1" too big?

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:03 pm

WORD...

in the other forums i have been on, all the younglings think, i need bigger brakes and blah blah. i tell them the same thing and in a few posts later, they thank me for my suggestion...

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:07 pm
Profile YIM
Squish Face

The stock sized rotors are the biggest you can fit because at that point your brake caliper bracket will limit you. That is unless you have gsx breaks on a fwd then you just need to bend the dust shield out of the way slightly.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
Post Master

Forgot to mention i have the "2g GSX big brake" upgrade.
But i might just go with stock blanks and get a good set of pads.
Btw, its not that I "want big brakes" its that I NEED brakes. :wink:

Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:29 pm
Goderator

GSX rotors are 275mm (10.8") What kind of driving are you doing?

Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:49 pm
Post Master

DAMN!
I dont abuse the car whatsoever, but i recently started noticing the shaking.
Im assuming the previous owner bashed the shit out of it.
Owned for little over a year now.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:16 pm
Talon of Doom

Power slot rotors have a directional internal vane that acts as a blower as the wheels spin and pulls air from the center of the rotor and flings it outwards to the outside of the rotor. This is what does rotor cooling. The actual slots cut into the rotor just helps with venting gases that exist between the pad surface and rotor surface at high temps thus allowing full contact between pad and rotor.

Read this
http://forum.mazda6club.com/suspension- ... ional.html

Contrary to the popular belief of bigger brakes stop better, it doesn't. What makes brakes work, friction. Friction between the pad and rotor stops the wheels, friction between the tire and road stops the car. A bigger rotor just helps with heat displacement, ie, a bigger radiator cools better. With a bigger surface area you can gain more friction with less clamp pressure applied from the caliper, and with a bigger rotor you get more braking torque due to the bigger rotor acting as a longer lever. But in the end, it all boils down to friction. The most important friction is between the tires and the road. Brakes stop the wheels, wheels stop the car. You can have the worlds craziest brake setup, but what makes the shortest stopping distance is tire. Benefits you gain from better brake design is the ability to stop over and over and over again. Or high speed stops with minimal fading.

More info.
http://www.ehow.com/list_5988548_benefi ... pers_.html

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:56 pm
Profile WWW
DSM Regular

wow i learn something new everyday

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]