[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - 6-Bolt Swap
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
6-Bolt Swap 
N00b

Post 6-Bolt Swap
Hey guys well i figure this would be a nice place to document my experience with a 6-bolt swap.

So far all im going for is a basic 6-bolt swap, Rebuilt 2g transmission, new fidenza flywheel,stg 2 clutch, some free mods, FMIC, arp head studs(WTB), mls head gaskget, ecm(WTB), stock turbo, SBL for the oil lines, Emission 'Removal' (just to have it tidy). and the other 'what you should do' stuff to lay down a nice setup for more crap down the road :)

whats been done so far...
nothing :D

waiting for the weekend to come

here are some of the refrences im using to do the build.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/article ... -need.html
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories
http://web.archive.org/web/200303200530 ... sions1.htm
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http ... gina2g.pdf

alright ill be back to update...

Last edited by thcunamed on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:15 pm
Talon of Doom

Post Re: 6-Bolt Swap
6bolt = good
Rebuilt Trans = Good
Fidanza flwheel = crap, the blow up/fall apart/warp all the time
Stage 2 clutch? wtf is that. DSM people go by specs, not stages. When does mario jump over the flag and walk into the pipe. When does your clutch do that? Pick your clutch depending on your power goals and driving style. Refer to you clutch brand website for specs, if they dont have it dont buy it. ACT 2100 w/ a street disc is rated for 315ft lbs of tq.
Free mods = good
FMIC = worthless on a stock turbo
ARP head studs = I guess, kinda pointless on a stock turbo
MLS gasket = Same on stock turbo <~All of the above is needed if you are running a bigger turbo and shooting for 20+ psi of boost.
Stainless feed line is good, stainless return to a bitch to work with when the stock line works fine.
Emissions removal in my opinion is good because its less possible lines to leak or come off yadda yadda.

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:52 pm
Profile WWW
Luvz teh Beer!!

I'm assuming you all have guns and crack!

Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:41 am
Post Master

DAMN!
Fidanza sucks balls?
Good thing i didnt use the one i have.
:mrgreen:

Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:30 pm
Talon of Doom

Its a 3 piece thing aluminium thing held together with screws, yes not bolts, effin screws, shit that holds you tv remote together. It spins, vibrates, heat up, cool down, expand contract, its a matter of time before screws start backing out.
The friction surface is a 1/8th" in thick steel plate, how much heat will that take before it starts to warp. And if you still arent conviced, I'll post is pic of a fidanza we had in our race car that's not in the car anymore for obvious reasons.
And honestly, there are no power gains from having a super light flywheel. It only allows the engine to FREE rev faster (not in gear or clutch on the floor) but actually in gear its the same as haveing a heavy one. And actually a heavier flywheel works better in drag racing becuase the rotating mass is less likely to bog out when you dump the clutch.

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:40 am
Profile WWW
N00b

haha, thank you for your guys input. well some of the things you say is worthless without a bigger turbo, well yeah but its the ground work, i want to drop something nice into it eventually but im not rich & dont have a lot of cash to drop. this has been in the works for quite sometime now and things are starting to come together for me.

As for the fidenza, !F**K!, i wish i went on here before i bought it i guess ill burn it up and replace it cause i bought it so long ago that its not refundable anymore.... I decided to hold off on the FMIC, 1.) cause i have to spend it on ECMlink 2.) i know i dont need it... as far as the application of the car i would like to just use it for more canyon runs for than anything i dont know why but i love FWD in canyons, ive had AWD and RWD, but i dont know i just am more comfortable in FWD... Maybe eventually i will do the AWD swap (big maybe). But yeah again thanks for your guys input im by no means a professional at any of this and it is always nice to hear from experience.

Also does anyone have a more detailed guide of the swap or is RRE's the best that is available, if so im sure i will be back to ask questions :D

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:25 am
Squish Face

You like understeer? :shock: Anyway, there isn't much to the swap. Its a basic motor swap like with any other car other than a tiny bit of wiring (or you can buy the Plug and play harness from us here at the shop).

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:39 am
Profile WWW
N00b

ahh cmon, why so cold? like i said, i may do the awd swap later. work with me man :D

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:55 am
DSM Regular

magnus motorsports has a really good write up on how to do the swap and they got mucho pictures too

1991 tsi awd stock bottom end w/ 2g head, kiggly springs, HKS 272's, RC1200's, shep4, QM twin, fp manifold, full megan exhaust, hx35 in bep housing, ets 4" fmic, BJ'sSMIM, Tial bov, tial 41mm, v3 ecmlink SD, 30psi, E85, 99 problems and this Bitch is one

Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:04 pm

Magnusmotorsport.com has a detailed guide on doing a 6 bolt swap it also has piktures we love piktures lol.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:07 pm
N00b

thanks guys i like me some pictures! [/hic voice]

Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:23 pm
N00b

sites dead...

Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:33 pm
N00b

hey wally how hard was the awd swap...

Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:34 pm
Talon of Doom

http://magnusmotorsports.com/wp-content ... gina2g.pdf

Good choice on waiting on the FMIC and going with Link. You'll see more gains on a stock turbo and Link than a stock turbo +fmic without link. And a solid tuning solution is a foundation for these cars. Ask anyone here that I've tuned their cars. I've pulled 80~150whp out of cars with just some tuning. When all the bolt on parts on the car only make 40~80 over stock numbers, I get another 80 out of it pushing buttons on a laptop. Aside from that, It idles and drives so much better and get better gas mileage.

Also, since you'll be doing the 6bolt swap, you'll have the motor out, great time to get rid of that flywheel, if its on your 7bolt now, you are going to have to buy a new flywheel for the 6bolt. Ditch the aluminum thing and go a Chromoly.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
Goderator

Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next