[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Project automatic bye bye
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Project automatic bye bye 

Post Project automatic bye bye
Well finally got a chance to start working on this. Ive been trying to go 5 speed for the longest now that my chance is here im not backing out. Automatic was fun but not for me. I will update my conversion on here all the time WITH PICS CAUSE I KNOW YOU LIKE PICS!!. I know there are some doubts about me doing this and I've been doing my research non stop. The way I plan on doing this is getting the easy stuff out first. Dropping the whole rear subframe driveshaft tranny pulling the engine harness front axles shift cables shifter itself TCU pedal assembly and a lot more things. Tomorrow I will post pics of how far I am but I know its stupid to start this before MOD but there is always next year if they do it. If you guys have any tips and I mean any tips PLEASE LET ME KNOW anything that will make this easier. Some people say why not sell and buy a 5 speed well cause thats boring. I want to see if I can accomplish this myself. Tomorrow everything will begin im just waiting on my act 2100 and street disc and I know I need to buy a new fork and ball. If im missing anything please let me know.

Couple questions??

1. Any tips on pulling the engine harness?
2. What else should I do while my whole drivetrain is out?

Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:33 pm
DSM Regular

Post Re: Project automatic bye bye
you will meed to drill out the hole for the master cylinder as the auto one is just stamped.

as for the engine harness everything is straight forward you will need to pull out the drivers seat to unplug the rear o2 and then all 4 of the plugs behind the radio. plus the ones for the ecu.

with the rear subframe the emergency brake will need to be unhooked at the handle and pulled through the body.

1991 tsi awd stock bottom end w/ 2g head, kiggly springs, HKS 272's, RC1200's, shep4, QM twin, fp manifold, full megan exhaust, hx35 in bep housing, ets 4" fmic, BJ'sSMIM, Tial bov, tial 41mm, v3 ecmlink SD, 30psi, E85, 99 problems and this Bitch is one

Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:08 pm
Death to Head Gaskets!

buy a set of rear differential bushings from RRE
made by yours truly :D

and some shifter plate bushings too
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/ecldrivetrain.htm

Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:07 pm
Talon of Doom

we got a few set in stock. They are bad ass. Quiet and solid.

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:58 pm
Profile WWW

Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:05 pm
DSM Regular

shifter base has the bushings and the cables already have skate board bearings pressed in

1991 tsi awd stock bottom end w/ 2g head, kiggly springs, HKS 272's, RC1200's, shep4, QM twin, fp manifold, full megan exhaust, hx35 in bep housing, ets 4" fmic, BJ'sSMIM, Tial bov, tial 41mm, v3 ecmlink SD, 30psi, E85, 99 problems and this Bitch is one

Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:19 pm

A Wally i thought you liked auto more then the 5 speed? Well good luck with swapping seriously!

Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:28 pm

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:05 pm

BAM pics ive been lazy. Everything so far was easy including the wiring harness. Ive read that many people give up and dont complete the swap but im going with it one way or another. My first 5 speed swap :D .

The wiring harness and shifter assembly

The tranny cleared of all obstacles so I can begin dropping it :D

The carnage on the inside brake pedal out and shifter assembly

The shifter missing ??

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:31 pm

Good work, keep us updated.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:25 am
Talon of Doom

wow, props Mr. Wally. I gave up trying to pull my ECU harness when I was doing the chassis swap. I got to the stuff behind the dash and said...fuck that...LOL.

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
Death to Head Gaskets!

GOOD JOB! harness swap is pretty easy i have pulled them a couple times unpluging all the plugs under the dash is the hardest part lol

some of the little relays are different from year to year and maybe from 5spd to auto

when i swapped a 5 spd harness into my talon after pulling the auto one out i noticed there were a couple relays that had different plugs so be sure to take any relays from under the dash of the 5 spd with the 5spd harness because them might be different. mine looked like the same relay but the plugs were different

Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:31 pm

hahaha come Sam you gave up on a harness you rebuild trannies and gave up on a harness lol. Im making it seem like it was TOOO easy well it wasnt I was shedding tears one the ECU harness :cry: lol. Those TCU harness weren't helping the cause either but its out so here are my update on the 5 speed swap im 50 percent done on removing all the auto stuff. Thanks adam for the heads up but I cant expect it to be a direct swap there are some things im going to have to buy but ill let the guy im trading parts know about it thanks Adam and Sam for the props lol.

Ass up face down thats the way I like to....... lol

Didnt know my car had LSD this whole time lol

FINALLY ITS DOWN!!!!!

The subframe on the ground finally got it out better pics tomorrow but everyone will be at MOD lol.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:46 am

Im having a hard time pulling the trans. Since I think I worked backwards I pulled the rear stuff first big mistake now I have no way of jacking up the front of the car and the rear of the car has no place to sit since the rear subframe is out. How should I do it here is a pic of the car how it stands now with no rear subframe. How should I go about pulling the trans. Everything is disconnected of the tranny the only thing holding it in are the axles and mounts and to the block. So any hints on how I should do this.

Here it is once I pull the tranny everything will be good to go so I can start throwing on the 5 speed stuff. I drilled a hole on the firewall already PITA. In this pic the rear frame is still in but its out thats how the car stands look how low the front is its less then half an inch of the ground.

Heres my subframe lol i want to see somebody else pull this thing by themself it weights ALOT!!!!

Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:35 pm

Do you guys recommend I pull the motor and tranny together will it make things easier or no. While the motor is out should I delete anything like the charcoal canister the egr even though it will throw a check engine light all that crap against the firewall.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next