[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Idle Surge
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Idle Surge 
McFly

Post Re: Idle Surge

Tue May 26, 2009 10:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Talon of Doom

and people never should touch the biss screw. BISS stands for Basic Idle Set Screw. Its the base the car goes off of to keep idle there when fuel trims are 0, coolant temps at 193-205, and all acessories off. After that the ISC makes compensations for headlights, AC, and other crap. It was set a certain spot from the factory and SHOULD NOT BE TOUCHED. If you have idle problems, its turning that screw will just mask the problem, when the real problem was a vacuum leak or something. Then you later down the road fix the vac leak and now your screw is out of wack and now you idle surge. Generally it varies from car the car but the tolerance is 1.25 to 1.75 turns out from soft bottom. Taken everything else is in good working order, the car will idle damn close to perfect.

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Wed May 27, 2009 5:18 pm
Profile WWW
Quagmire

^^^^Word, even with 272 cams it will idle fine.

And you answered your own question...you touched the BISS.

Thu May 28, 2009 12:03 am
McFly

Thu May 28, 2009 1:49 am
Profile YIM WWW
McFly

UPDATE: So today, Vespor n I put in the BISS n did they adjustments. After pulling the old BISS we discovered there was NO O-Ring present. So after dropping in the new one, things ran a lot better. NO MORE SURGE! :mrgreen: But now the idle is slightly off. When I stop, the idle sits at 1400-1600 for about five-ten seconds before dropping to either 1k or 750 rpms (BISS is set at 750). So my guess is the TPS is bad. What do you guys think?

Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:34 pm
Profile YIM WWW
DSM Post Whore

Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:56 am
DSM Regular

yea i know i'm bringing it back from the dead. I seem to have idle surge too. Replaced ISC. Checked Coolant. All good so far. I put my thumb on top of BISS screw and nothing changes. So how would i check the tps? and i hear the coolant temp sensor can be a culprit too. What do i need to do to check these things?

Some more background: the surge suddenly started after i installed a new copper exhaust manifold gasket. After the gasket was installed, i started the car and sprayed a bit of soap water around the area to see if there were any exhaust leaks. After that, i noticed the stock coolant temp gauge did not work. It started working again. But the Idle surge still exists. I also have a bad o2 to downpipe gasket. Any suggestions?

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:22 pm
Talon of Doom

do you have a logger?

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
DSM Regular

i can log on my laptop on my oldschool ecuplus tuning software(yes i have to upgrade $$$$)

Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:51 pm
Talon of Doom

log front o2 sensor value, coolant temp, and tps values.

Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:31 pm
Profile WWW
DSM Regular

the tps seems fine: 1% at idle and fluctuates when i give it gas. also 0% when car is off and 96% with pedal to the floor. Coolant temp sensor reads right on with my aftermarket water temp gauge. front o2: what should i be looking for with that? should i be seeing if the voltage fluctuates at idle? at this point it seems to be a vacuum leak somewhere but i have no air compressor so it's a bit hard to boost/vac leak test. i guess i either beg one of you guys with one or take it to RRE and pay em to do it. And Sam.... does RRE sell mufflers that have 3in inlet with dual 3 inch outlets?

Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2