[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Tranny issues
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Tranny issues 
No More 2.3L

Post Re: Tranny issues
I would say either buy a ceterforce or an ACT2100 with a street disk. You don't need a six puck and there is no point in going cheap when it comes to clutches as you already found out.

Either of those two should hold the power your car makes just fine. And you should probably get a new friction surface for your flywheel while you are in there.

452 AWHP 446 lb ft of torque e85 FTW!!

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:37 am
Profile YIM
DSM Regular

around how much is the act 2100 set up? that way I dont get ripped off lol

Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:39 pm
No More 2.3L

It is usually around $400 for the kit (pressure plate, disk, and factory throw out bearing) Road Race Engineering's site has the 2100 listed at $335 right now. I would call them and see if that price is accurate. If it is then it is a hell of a deal.

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:44 pm
Profile YIM

^^^ +1

I had recommended a Center Force, but upon looking at RRE's site I realized they're more expensive than the ACTs. If you do decide to go OEM....I don't know what to tell you other than get genuine Mitsu parts, but that will probably be expensive. I recommend the ACT 2100 and a new friction surface for your flywheel. BE SURE you have RRE check your flywheel before re-using it. You want to be sure it hasn't suffered any damage.

So, here's your shopping list:
1) ACT 2100 w/ street disc
2) Friction surface for your flywheel, or a new flywheel. Either way, get the step height checked at RRE before the install.
3) NEW OEM fork and ball. This is a no-brainer. Its only $60 for both, so they should be replaced each time you replace the clutch (assuming you replace it at standard intervals).
4) Master/Slave cylinder rebuild kit*** from Mitsu (I can't remember which one you already replaced)
5) Stainless Steel clutch fluid line from RRE. Not 100% necessary, but if your stock line is old and worn it can lead to disengagement problems
6) OEM Mitsu throwout bearing (pick one up at RRE). Replace the metal clip that holds it in place if its gone bad
7) Check your clutch pedal for wear (use the links I already sent you). If its worn out, you need an OEM pedal and lever and new bushings.

***The master/slave rebuild kit is cheaper than buying a new master/slave cylinder, BUT it will only work if there's no scoring on the inside of the existing cylinder. Check for smoothness w/ your finger. If you feel defects, you need to replace the whole thing. When you insert the new parts from the rebuild kit, lubricate the plunger w/ brake fluid first.

I know that's a long shopping list, but we all have learned at one point or another what happens when you cheap out and try the quick fix. If you have 3 broken parts and only replace 2, the 1 broken part can destroy the 2 new ones. You'll need to be thorough and get it done right if you want a reliable car. If you do the install yourself, follow the steps in the factory service manual or a Haynes/Chiltons manual as well as the steps from the so that you get all the details right like the proper pattern for torquing flywheel and p.plate bolts, what you should and shouldn't apply grease to, etc etc etc.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
DSM Regular

thanks!

Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:53 am
DSM Regular

Ok well im officially broke lol so im going to try and drop the tranny my self with a friend. so on a scale of 1 to 10 How hard is this? Thanks!

Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:23 am
Goderator

For tranny noobs? I'd give you guys a 5-6 taking it out if you have all the tools you need beforehand. Putting it back in correctly, 7-10.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:43 am
DSM Regular

LOL so should I attempt to do this even tho I have some one helping me that has not only owned the car before me but has also dropped and put back the tranny in it about 4 times?

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:57 am
No More 2.3L

If you think you can do it then do it. It isn't really that hard but getting it lined up when putting it back in can be frustrating.

-Mike W

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:19 pm
Profile YIM

^^^+1. It can be a real PITA. It's not a super complicated job, but there's several ways to screw it up. I sent you a detailed PM with all the "what not to do" things. Read that again, read the VFAQ on changing the clutch a few times, and read up on the service manual. Follow all the steps, avoid the "what not to do" things, and you should be okay. Be sure you have all the necessary tools, too, or it will be that much harder. Oh and DON'T TAKE ANY SHORTCUTS! You'll just end up pulling the trans again and spending more money.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:57 pm
Profile WWW
DSM Regular

got it :drinkers:

Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:12 pm
DSM Regular

nice lilttle video for a noob like myself! I feel more confidant on doing this my self now :lol:

Admin edit: Fixed embedding

Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:52 pm
BANNED 4 LIFE!

I agree with what everyone tells you about puting back up.Its a bitch sometimes but just wiggle it around & you should be koo.One thing make sure you ddont brake your sensor plug thats on top wich i believe its for the reverse lights...I seem to break everyone in the past LOL....Should be able to drop it in a about a hour since you call yourself a noob at it....Good Luck

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:44 pm
Profile WWW
DSM Regular

Thanks

Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4