View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
First time rebuilding an engine.. Need HELP!! 
N00b

Post First time rebuilding an engine.. Need HELP!!
So I picked up a long block for my galant this weekend from the junkyard (half off sale at pick your parts :D ).. Its off a 90 turbo laser , the od read 260,000. I got it home and tore it all down already.. Now up to this point, the biggest thing ive done is a clutch job, but i think im up for a rebuild. I stay on the forums reading build threads from all the sites and I google everything, but I think I still need some pointers.. First off all I need help finding a good machine shop. I know i should get the block honed, decked and hot tanked, but what else should i ask for? Its just a stock rebuild nothing fancy.. I want to get my Gvr4 on DD status!!! Thanks in advance for any input

Mon May 27, 2013 11:30 pm
DSM Regular

Post Re: First time rebuilding an engine.. Need HELP!!
Your best bet is to take it to a machine shop and have them do the bore and hone, hot tank, and all the machine work there. They have the tools and skills to do it right. Last thing you want is to do it yourself and then blow your money making a small mistake and ruining the motor.

Have a shop do the important stuff (rotating assembly, valves, guides, etc. That way it can all be properly balanced. Plus they use a torque plate that you probably can't access on your own. Then you can do the easier stuff like the oil pump, lifters, cams, and basically bolt on things.

I had Millenium Motorsports in Temecula do the machine work to my block and head, then I did the rest on my own. Greg at Millenium does good work and knows DSM engines very well.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:12 pm
Profile ICQ
DSM Regular

^ Agreed it is quite possible though, but the machine shop will be able to remove any warping in the bore, decking the head and block if need be. You only Want to have to pull the block once and do it right the first time right ? After that you can slap the pistons, rods, rings, and bearings back.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:20 pm
Talon of Doom

Bore, deck, line hone, and wash on the block. Crank should be inspected, trued, balanced and micro polished. Head should get decked, valve job, and new guides pressed in. Assembly. Plasti-gauge all oil clearances and torque everything to spec accordance to all ARP or OEM hardware values. A good machine shop should be the first step in any build.

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
N00b

anyone here has a good machine shop to recommend

Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:11 pm
Talon of Doom

Speedomotive in West Covina. Millenium Motorsport in Temecula

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
DSM Regular

Vellios Hawthorne as well

Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:52 am
Talon of Doom

Ask them if they have a torque plate for boring your engine. If they dont, leave.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]