[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - TurboAWDfanatic's Build Thread
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
TurboAWDfanatic's Build Thread 

Post TurboAWDfanatic's Build Thread

Well guys, my car has come a long ways in the last six years, but it still has a long ways to go. Over the years I've been taking literally thousands of photos of my progress building it, so here's some photos and info about my build. Hope this info is helpful to someone else. I think what I'll do is make a list of modifications that I have done up to this point on the first post, and in subsequent posts I'll detail what has been done to the car in chronological order.

Here's how the car sits now:

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

- 2.3L Stroker motor built by RRE:
- Eagle rods
- Wiseco 9:1 pistons
- ARP everything
- Balance shaft eliminated
- Delta HKS regrind cams 272/272
- 1mm oversized valves
- BC valve springs w/ titanium retainers

- FP Intake pipe with K&N Filter (no MAF, speed density setup)
- Punishment Racing FMIC/piping (short route)
- Holset HX35 8 blade turbo
- BEP turbine housing
- FP exhaust manifold
- MAPerformance recirculated O2 housing with Tial MV-S 38mm wastegate
- Unknown 2.5" to 3" downpipe (RRE clone)
- 3" universal CAT or 3" test pipe
- 3" Unknown mandrel bent exhaust chopped and refitted by RRE
- Fluidyne aluminum radiator
(image was taken before FP manifold instal)

- Custom built trans from Jack's Transmissions:
- 91+ gear set with Jack's super synchros
- Quaife front LSD
- 4 spider center diff with torrington bearings

- Competition Clutch 1680 kit w/ sprung 6 puck
- Competition Clutch chromoly flywheel
- 4 bolt rear diff

- Muellerized suspension:
- JIC FLT-A2s valved and set up by Mueller
- Modified JIC camber plates for more camber
- Modified JIC struts for more camber
- FWD front suspension uprights to correct tie rod angle
- DSS Rear toe elimination kit (last one ever made)
- Poly bushings on the entire front end (including sub-frame)
- ST rear sway bar

- Modified power steering pump to eliminate power steering cutout
- Lancer Evo 8 17x8 Enkei wheels
- 235/45/17 tires (constantly changing what tire I run on the street)
- 235/45/17 Toyo Proxes RA-1s for track/autoX
- Factory Mitsu "big brake" upgrade (2 pot calipers)
- Powerslot slotted rotors
- Stoptech pads up front
- Porterfield R4-S in the rear

- Zeitronix ZT-2 Wideband setup:
- Bosch wideband with LCD display (displays 4 sensors)
- Kavlico 3.5bar MAP sensor for boost
- EGT
- Coolant temp sensor
- ZAVT-1 Warning buzzer/light

- Devil's Own meth injection kit

- Moates Ostrich EPROM emmulator with TunerPro software:
- Speed density setup using the Kavlico MAP sensor from Zeitronix and a GM IAT sensor
- Moates 2-timer switch to switch fuel/timing maps triggered by water/meth pump
- Phantom knock elimination
- 2 step rev limiter
- Factory boost gauge is a knock gauge

- Schroth 4pt harness
- Sparco Sprint racing seat
- Sparco steering wheel
(pics to come)

That covers it for the most part except for details like welded clutch pedal, aftermarket power steering cooler, oil catch can, etc etc. Keep watching this thread for detailed write-ups on all these mods! Questions and comments are welcome.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:52 am
Profile WWW
Post Master

Post Re: TurboAWDfanatic's Build Thread
Nice setup! Very clean, and well-rounded. This is the kind of stuff I like to see. :)

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:46 am

Thanks! Hopefully as I finally get my shit together with the meth setup I'll start making some real power to match all the $$$ I put into the motor.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:29 pm
Profile WWW

JIC FLTA-2 coilovers, rear sway bar, and toe eliminator kit set up by Muellerized...

The FIRST thing I did when I bought this car (besides a timing belt job from RRE) was the suspension. I had cash at the time to do it right and I wanted the car to be able to handle any power that I added to it later on. I'm really glad I took this route. I purchased these from Muellerized with them set up to his predetermined specs based on my intended use. You tell him whether you want street/track/autoX/drag, harsh ride, soft ride, whatever and he'll dial it in to suit your needs. Well worth the extra money. I installed the coilovers and sway bar myself. It was pretty straight forward but removing some of the old shock bushings was a bitch and required some encouragement from a butane torch.

Mueller modified the camber plates for more negative camber. Note how the slots for the upper strut mount go all the way in towards the center of the car. You can add as much negative camber as you want until the upper strut hits the mounting point of the body. He also did a few other tricks to give me some more negative camber.

While the coilovers and sway bar are great, it wasn't until Mueller installed the DSS rear toe eliminator kit that I got that the car came alive. If I have one piece of suspension advice for 1G AWD owners it is this:
GET THE REAR TOE ELIMINATOR KIT!!! It is the best suspension mod you can do to a 1G AWD and it should be the first thing you instal!!

The rear trailing arms of 1G DSMs have rubber bushings in the end of them where the eye loop attaches to the frame (see below in pics I've borrowed from VFAQ.com)

These bushings allow toe change in the rear tires as the suspension compresses which leads to two things: 1) MASSIVE understeer and 2) inconsistent handling. With the stock rear toe setup, you never really know how the car is going to respond mid-turn. The solution is getting a rear toe eliminator kit. I got the last kit that DSS made way back in the day, but now Jay Racing makes them. Basically it's a steel insert that is welded to the trailing arm (replacing the rubber bushing) and a spherical heim joint replaces the eye loop. The heim joint is threaded so you can make toe adjustment the lock it down so the toe stays constant. One note about the Jay Racing kit, he uses cheaper heim joints than the old DSS kits, so you might want to look into getting kevlar lined teflon coated heim joints from McMaster Carr for better longevity. You can also get rubber boots that will cover the heim joints if you live in a snowy or rainy climate (or you rally race) and you want to keep them clean.

Here's a picture of them installed (image borrowed from the user frankozz over at DSMTalk)

With all these parts installed the car is a whole new beast. If you doubt me take a minute some day and ask Sam about his hell ride up Turnbull Canyon with me. Oh, and check out these autocross videos:

Well, that's it for now. Up next is my first turbo swap. Hope you enjoyed reading!

Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:59 pm
Profile WWW
Post Master

Agree 100% on the rear-toe elimination. HUGE difference. I'm running the Jay Racing kit on mine, and I love it.

How much did that whole Muellerized setup cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

*edit* - Just watched those vids. Good lord, I have never seen a 1g act so ass-happy in my life! :prayer:

Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:15 pm

Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:35 pm
Profile WWW

Just found a fantastic install video for the toe eliminator kit at Jafromobile's YouTube page:

Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:58 am
Profile WWW
Post Master

I can only imagine that Mueller would charge more now, but you obviously get what you pay for. There's gotta be some happy medium with suspension between something crappy like AGX's, and something ridiculously baller like what you have.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:39 am
DSM Regular

really nice build dude

Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:25 pm

Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:21 am
Profile WWW
Talon of Doom

Nice build Mr. Clint. I must say his car is a well rounded very nice handling car. We went for a ride once in his car, he was not even pushing 10/10ths and in some corners I seriously turtle headed a little.

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:59 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]