[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Talon Build thread
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Talon Build thread 

Post Re: Talon Build thread
Nice work Dustin. Never seen it in person, hopefully i will soon, but I've heard soo many stories about this car in the streets of Mexico.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:42 pm
DSM Regular

Well well good to see it complete dusty now just tune it and park her back in the garage no need to hurt her again plus you know how emotional they get (haha) but whenever your gonna take her out to eat let me know and will go on a double date. Call me when its thats time. Good luck and keep her looking good stay on that diet.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:43 am
DSM Regular

Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:23 pm

Yeah that was probably me. No, 39psi - 40psi was what I was running. I was just beating on a hurt motor that had almost no compression.. It was all I could do to get the thing to make any decent passes lol.

10.67@126mph

Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:07 pm
Profile YIM

Finally made it back to the track (Irwindale) last Thursday 3-28-2013.

Was able to make 3 passes. First one was garbage as I bogged out of the hole. 2nd run I screwed up the launch so bad I didn't even make a full run. 3rd pass of the night was kind of decent, except I still bogged the launch a bit.

60' - 1.9
1/8th - 7.4
mph - 97mph

I have one video from inside the car. It completely bogged out of the hole and ran an 8.1 @ 96mph.

Then my buddy took a crappy video with his cell phone of my 3rd and best pass of the night.

I'm going to try and make it back to the track tomorrow after work and see if I can't get a better launch.

10.67@126mph

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:32 pm
Profile YIM

What up guys, been a while since I've posted any updates or anything. No worries, I'm always tinkering with the DSM, just don't have time to keep things up-to-date on the forums.

I had some fun with my last setup, running an FP manifold and HX40 in a BEP housing. Got the car to run 7.0@100mph in the 1/8th on an OEM shortblock and relatively conservative tune. Then while tuning one night, I was really turning up the wick on the the holset (40ish psi) the damn compressor nut decided to back off. This, as you can imagine, caused a little bit of carnage lol.

Poor HX40, it was such a good turbo too:

So I decided to change the whole setup and finally move away from the bolt-on stuff. I went quite a bit bigger than I originally planned, but it was a pretty decent deal for the turbo so I couldn't resist. Ended up picking up a Bullseye S366 in a divided .91a/r T4 housing (BorgWarner Airwerks 91/79) from a friend.

S366, the turbine and compressor are both ceramic coated:

Now on to the fun part, getting this big ass sucker to fit in the damn car. I found a used DNP pseudo twin scroll manifold for a good price on the ecmlink boards so I jumped on it. I then proceeded to sell most everything else that had to do with a bolt on setup so I could finish putting together what I needed for the T4 setup. Had to order a new wastegate too, since the DNP has a tial 44mm flange on it. Good thing I have a friend that works for Turbosmart, so I got this new hypergate for a really good price:

Turbosmart 45mm:

I took the car to my friends shop and he helped me fab up the turbine outlet, downpipe and wastegate dump. 3" piping with the alternator and stock oil filter housing is a tight ass fit! Was a bit of a pain in the ass, but overall I'm happy with the way it turned out!

Here are some pics of finishing the turbo setup:

Turbo/manifold:

Test fitting on the car:

10.67@126mph

Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:37 pm
Profile YIM

Pretty decent fit actually, the DNP manifold places the turbo in a good position, it actually has more room between the waterpipe than my FP/BEP combo did. Had to change my lower intercool piping slightly and mod my -12 oil return line.

The hard part was getting the O2 housing outlet to the downpipe. The BWS366 doesn't use your typical VBand flange. It uses what's called a "Marman flange" which is similar looking to a vband, but not at all the same. The diameter of the s366 flange is 4.21" but the outlet of the tubine itself is just a hair over 3." I bought a 4" to 3" marman adapter and we had to cut it up to make it work.

Taking the car to the shop:

Getting ready to start fitting this thing:

This is what we came up with :)

Had to cut a few inches off the downpipe and weld on a vband flange to mate up to the new o2 housing. Fits pretty well, and I should still "barely" be able to get that oil filter off there.

O2 housing:

I wrapped the o2 housing and first foot or so of the downpipe with header wrap, you can also see my oil return line here:

Pretty much complete at this point:

I'll hopefully be tuning this week sometime, then it's off to Irwindale for some test passes!

10.67@126mph

Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:07 pm
Profile YIM

Very impressive. :prayer:

Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:07 pm
No More 2.3L

Very nice man. I can't wait to see what it can do.

452 AWHP 446 lb ft of torque e85 FTW!!

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:18 pm
Profile YIM

Thanks guys. I took it out the other day to start tuning and upping the boost but the alternator or the harmonic balancer died. I barely made it home, belt squealing and with 11ish volts, lol the injectors would barely even open at that low voltage. I'll figure out what it is this week, I didn't bother messing with it when I got home as it was late. It's always something with these damn things.

I was able to do a couple pulls at wastegate pressure (16-17psi), AFR's were acceptable, timing is pulled way back, no knock. This thing is definitely more laggy than what I'm used to, doesn't really spool and actually "hit" until around 5300rpm, it does however build some useable boost around 3800+rpm so it's not a total turd to drive around. I imagine it would be a little more responsive if I was running a true twin-scroll manifold, but I'm not really complaining so far. I'm actually a little surprised, it feels pretty good at only 17psi. Can't wait to see what it does closer to 30! :D

10.67@126mph

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:33 am
Profile YIM

Faaack! Very nice Dustin. Big props

Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:25 pm
DSM Regular

Daayyyumm forget the t!++y bar I'd rather read your thread and have you post more pics on progress looking real good.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:20 am

Well I took her out and did a little tuning, the thing pulls pretty well with a very rich, conservative tune. So last week I decided to take it to irwindale and attempt to dial the launch with the new turbo. I got 3 runs in, this was on street tires too.

First run, 24-25psi of boost
1.62 60'
7.28 @ 95mph

Third run, 26-27psi of boost
1.75 60' (spinning through first)
7.29@98mph

Second run wheel hopped and the #1 fuel injector plug came off. Scared the shit outta me lol. Overall I'm happy with the way it's working out. There is still plenty of power left in the tune, as the AFRs are really rich and timing low. Going to try and get it tuned around 30psi with some timing and good AFRs. It pulls pretty good though.

10.67@126mph

Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:51 pm
Profile YIM

Well I made it out to Irwindale again after I did a little more tuning. Ran a new personal best!

First pass:
60' - 1.58 (on street tires! :D )
1/8 - 6.99
mph - 100

Second pass, I turned up the wick a little bit:
60' - 1.67
1/8 - 6.80
mph - 108.9

They kicked me out promptly after that for not having the proper safety equip.

Here's a cell phone vid of the 6.80 pass:
https://vimeo.com/77255666

10.67@126mph

Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:15 am
Profile YIM

Damn your car is quick.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next