[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Subframe, Rack And Pinion
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Subframe, Rack And Pinion 
DSM Regular

Post Subframe, Rack And Pinion
so ya i doubt this problem is common at all,but ya my subframe cracked in half when my car's rack and pinion took a crap, so i have one wheel butterflying and one is fine, won't drive of course and won't push,anyone want to tell me where to start with removing the subframe and rack and pinion?

Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:11 am
Death to Head Gaskets!

Post Re: Subframe, Rack And Pinion
you really broke the subframe? how the hell did that happen, its actually easy to remove, ive done it before, and i actually have an extra rack and pinion and a front subframe too.

you want to drop the rack 1st , you need to reach up where the steering column comes out of the fire wall and losen then clamp, then theres 4 bolts the hold the rack up, drop those, and also unbolt the tie rod ends. and thats it.

now for the subframe theres 4 bolts, 2 nuts and the lower lateral control arms are also bolted to the subframe. i would unbolt the control arms and then drop the subframe. also your rear motor mount is bolted to the top of the subframe so yoy need to remove the center bolt so you can drop the subframe

Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:42 am
DSM Regular

Oh hell, thank you so much I was going to crawl under my car the other night blind not knowing where to start, I was catching up to someone my rack and pinion took a crap in the turn slowly then I guess gave up as I drove down the road , well atleast that's what I'm guessing, the car dropped and then one wheel was skidding, so I have one wheel butterflying and the other is fine I'm guessing I have to replace the axels due to one side being damaged I might as well do both, how does my game plan sound? Replace rack and pinion then subframe, then axels ?

Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:26 pm
Death to Head Gaskets!

well you need to do everything all at once, but yeah that should work, also you can actually drop the subframe with the rack still bolted up I think i dropped mine that way.

and you have to disconnect the hard lines going to the rack of course too

Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:18 am
Goderator

Post pics.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:48 am
DSM Regular

Okay, I'll post up pics soon its a lil hard to get under, when I start pulling I'll tissues pics though. What are signs of my fwd differential going bad ?

Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:58 am
Death to Head Gaskets!

Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:37 pm
Squish Face

A good sign of it dying is when you can easily remove the axle and there is excessive play in the gears you can see through the axle holes upon inspection. That's how i caught my dying diff before it exploded and took out the case.

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:18 pm
Profile WWW
DSM Regular

awesome, but as in gear play like would i stick my hand in and try to move the gears?

Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:11 am
DSM Regular

So I ran into a lil problem that I dont know if I should be too worried about, but when my subframe cracked it dropped the driver side.so now my sway bar is a little bit bent downward more on the driver side, should i worry about it a lot?

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:13 pm

Consider it an opportunity to upgrade or just replace with a used one, but definitely don't want to reuse bent/cracked parts.

531.5whp 414.8tq @ 29psi, FP3575 on Q16

Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:43 pm
DSM Regular

ok thanks know any good places i can get one fast at already?

Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:46 pm

Quick & cheap? Self or full service boneyard.

531.5whp 414.8tq @ 29psi, FP3575 on Q16

Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]