[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - oil catch can proper hook-up
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
oil catch can proper hook-up 
DSM Regular

Post oil catch can proper hook-up
I've been reading on tuners and it seems like everyone has their own opinion some say the lines go from the valve cover breather to the can then to the pcv valve. Other say it goes from the pvc valve to can then to the port on the intake manifold.. Whats the proper way!?

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:42 am

Post Re: oil catch can proper hook-up
i used to hook up from vc breather to can, from can to intake pipe.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:36 am
Post Master

There are tons of different ways to do it. The way I did it on my car isn't really the "right" way to do it, but it seems to be working for me. I eliminated the PCV altogether and I run two -10AN fittings off my valve cover to a custom catchcan that I had built for me. It's baffled inside, which separates the oil and gasses, and you have to drain the oil out every once in a while. My engine was built very loose, therefore I get a lot of combustion by-products in my oil and I have a lot of crankcase pressure. I also run a lot of boost and rev extremely high, which exacerbates the issue. Most cars don't need a setup like this, usually you can get away with just a simple aftermarket catchcan from eBay with lines coming from the PCV and the stock valve cover breather.

The real "right" way to do it is how Mitsu did it from the factory, believe it or not. You have to have some sort of way to evacuate the gasses/oil that has a vacuum to it, which is why it goes through the stock intake pipe. The problem with this is we get a ton of oil going through our turbo and into the intercooler. A lot of people will also run a line to the exhaust system, and let the exhaust take it all away. A lot of hardcore drag cars will have a setup like this. It's probably the most effective, but also the most extreme.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:56 am
DSM Regular

Well see I don't want to run two catch cans like most people. Am I able to just hook up a line from the pcv valve to the catch can then from the can back to factory spot on the intake manifold? And just hook a tiny breater filter off the valve cover or install a check valve in the line from the valve cover to intake pipe?

Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:47 pm
Post Master

Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:20 pm
Goderator

Who runs two catch cans? I only have one.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:42 pm
DSM Regular

Alright im just going to do it that way thanks

Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:33 pm
No More 2.3L

One catch can is all that is needed. And for it to really work you should run it back into the intake.

I left my pcv valve in place and I added one of these check valves to the line to be sure that when I run over 30psi the pcv valve won't open and fill the crank case with pressure. .

As for my catch can setup I did a larger line than stock because of the high boost I run. I modified my valve cover to have a -10 AN fitting and that runs to this catch can, which I picked up because it actually has baffles inside. .

And from the outlet of that can I have a line going back into my intake to provide a vacuum source to draw air out of the crank case. I attempted to get vacuum from the exhaust but it was not as effective as the intake pipe.

Here are some pictures of my setup.

452 AWHP 446 lb ft of torque e85 FTW!!

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:55 pm
Profile YIM
Goderator

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:08 pm
No More 2.3L

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:34 pm
Profile YIM
Goderator

Yup, that was a cool night.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:43 pm

Post oil catch can proper hook-up
There is a reason people use 2 catch cans. The pcv line evacuates crank case pressure when the engine is in vacuum, but closes when on boost, at which point the breather hose uses the intake pipe to help evacuate crank case pressure. If you eliminate one of these lines you're losing the benefit of that line. The idea between 2 catch cans is to keep both of these lines isolated Nd recirculated while still being able to capture oil and vapors before they enter the air intake. In extreme cases like cap't, it's best to have large and/or multiple breather lines (heck jack from Jack's transmissions runs 3 breather lines and 2 pcv valves).

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
No More 2.3L

I decided that I am not as concerned with oil potentially getting through the pcv valve as it will ust go right into the cylinders and be burned. But the line running to the intake I felt needed a catch can as that oil would end up collecting in my intercooler and intercooler piping.

-Mike W

Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:00 pm
Profile YIM
DSM Regular

haha well i had hooked mine up this way.
1.WRONG WAY? Image

So its more important to be hooked up to the intake-can-breather on valve cover?
2.RIGHT WAY? Image

So who sells check valves so i can hook one up in the line from the pcv valve to recirculate back into the manifold?

so which ones correct 1 or 2?

Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:59 pm
Post Master

You can do it either way. The 2nd way is probably more effective, but you will get oil going through your turbo and stuff.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next