[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - How official are ACL Race Bearings
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
How official are ACL Race Bearings 
DSM Regular

Post How official are ACL Race Bearings
Now is it my luck or Im I the only one that notice this. Well as most of the people around me heard 850 miles breaking the motor in .050 of crankwalk well caught it in time before I lost a set of pistons and rods So Why did it happen I had my cranked turned .010 and bought a set of ACL Race Bearings.010 under for em when I assembled the motor everything was on spec from crankwalk to the main and rod journals ok so everything was good then..

Now people say never use a cut crank cuz of the nitrite coat and once cut the metal is soft but its steel., fine but I've talked to people who have done it and everything worked fine for them..

Magnus, some guys on the forum and even Karking wow im thinking wheres my luck....either way Im still looking into this.......

So i get a new crank and a new set of ACL mains and Rods STD when I go to reassemble the block Im come to find out on the block Thrust Journal (where the Thrust Bearing snaps into) and main cap also got worn, so now its time to replace the block cool get a new block, Non turbo 6 bolt and before im taking it to the machine shop I snap the ACL thrust bearing into place and realize I got play side to side from behind the thrust bearing to the block, .005 play ok, but the OEM bearing that came out had no play plus original crank with everything intached .005 of crankwalk which had 18 years of driving thats great so then I measure the back of each bearing were the OEM that came out measured roughly .973 inches and the ACL measured roughly .978 well there is the .005 difference ok So im thinking bad set of ACL bearings my luck again.

So I made a call to Mike at ACL TECH and explained the whole situation so he asks me measure the bearing while were on the phone from outside to outside inside to inside etc. well evrything measure fine to his specs and thats how they done em for years but offers to send me a new set that should arrive monday and Ill measure them as well.

So now im thinking its this non turbo block thats off even tho the the part #'s from the dealer and ACL are the same ok I get a 6 bolt Turbo block which was still in good condition for being 21 years old and measure the bearing that comes out of that and what do you know measures .973 same as the non turbo what a coincidences..

I go buy a new set of OEM Main bearings snap em in no play I measure them .973 WOW but ACL says thats where they get there measurements from....

So i decideded to run OEM bearings from this day forward and wont look back..
I'll measure these new set of ACL bearings from ACL themselves, and once they arrive I measure them and if they measure .978
DSM'ers beware thats just extra play you dont need and I'll post those measurements as soon as i get em......

And if anyone is in the middle of a build now Id really like them to measure inside to inside where the Thrust bearing snaps into block and main cap the oppsite side where the crank rides on.....

THANKS

Last edited by 50trimanic on Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:35 am, edited 5 times in total.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:38 pm

Post Re: How official are ACL Race Bearings
horrible sentence structure, but good info. I had a set of acl bearings on my rebuilt 420A, and that motor only lasted me like 34000 miles.makes me wonder,though I doubt i it was similar issues

Irv
1990 talon tsi AWD SOLD,miss her :'(
2011 Hyundai Genesis. Project "sega" lol. SOLD.fuck you economy!
1996 Talon Tsi AWD.trying again.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:50 pm
DSM Regular

My bad not that great of a writer but it's the info I learned and hope that if its an issue we can catch it before it ruins a build

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:31 am
Talon of Doom

Thanks for posting the good info Know, update us with the measurement when you get the new thrust bearings.

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:20 pm
Profile WWW
frank the tank

Good info Noah. OEM bearings are better? What's so good on runing acl "race bearings "

1/4mile 10.5 @ 136 mph personal best 3582R Las Vegas
1/4mile 10.41@ 137.9 mph Fontana personal best 3582R
5 Gears...4 wheel drive/steer...3 Diamonds...2 cams...1 Turbo...0 Reliability

Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:21 pm
Profile YIM
DSM Regular

After receiving The ACL bearings seems like it was .976-.977 either way its still off from OEM and that being said whenever a motor is being built just make sure to look and measure behind the thrust bearing also in my own opinon run OEM until there is another brand of bearings that are gonna be within specs and good quality.......Over n Out

Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:04 pm
Squish Face

Gotta check my ACL Race Bearings i got from you before putting my bottom end tomorrow. Strange thing is no one ever noticed this before, or maybe this is a recent event going on with ACL's new batches.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:24 pm
Profile WWW

10.67@126mph

Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:00 am
Profile YIM
DSM Regular

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:06 pm

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:23 pm
Profile YIM
Death to Head Gaskets!

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:29 pm
Goderator

:smug:

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:50 pm
helmet polisher

the commas work, if not all of his sentences would be run-ons. :)

Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:05 pm
DSM Regular

Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:20 pm

Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:23 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next