[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - odd idle?
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
odd idle? 
DSM Regular

Post odd idle?
Hey guys, last night I was cleaning things up in the engine bay as I got a 2g maf/intake and decided after I installed it to clean up the valve cover a bit. Went ahead and removed it, then sprayed it down with some degreaser, etc. Threw a new coat of paint on and when it dried I put it back on. Next morning I start up the car, idles for about 5 seconds then bogs out. Throw the stock 1g maf back on and while it doesn't bog out it struggles to keep a steady idle. (usually around 600-800rpms) Drives fine, but acceleration in 1st gear and at idle are a little off?

Checked vacuum lines and charge pipeing and things are fine. Valve cover gasket seems to be the only likely cause. Anyone have any thoughts?

98 Grand Prix GTP (L32 swapped, 286whp/368wtq) 13.8 @ 102mph -SOLD
91 Galant VR4 #852/2000. SOLD
97 Outback Legacy 5-speed... SOLD
99 Mustang GT So sue me haha

Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:48 pm
No More 2.3L

Post Re: odd idle?
Valve cover gasket shouldn't affect idle at all. It it's bad you would just leak oil. It makes sense that it would idle bad with the 2G MAF without anything in to tune it.

My best guess without actually looking at the car is that is moving everything around you created a boost leak. Have you made a boost leak tester yet?

452 AWHP 446 lb ft of torque e85 FTW!!

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:55 pm
Profile YIM
DSM Regular

haha no, enlighten me

Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:23 pm
Post Master

If you put a 2g MAF on the car and didn't modify anything else, the car won't run right. The 2g MAF will lean you out about 15-20% from where you were before because it flows a lot more air. If you have no way to adjust your tune for that leaner condition, then the car will run really lean all the time, and it's actually kind of dangerous. I would put the 1g MAF back on there until you get some sort of tuning setup going on the car.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:56 pm
DSM Regular

The 1g maf is on the car. the 2g wouldn't even run. At the time, thought it was due to being dirty, but makes sense if it's causing a lean mixture. I have checked for vacuum leaks, and none seem to be apparent. I'd be willing to drive to someone to check it out as it's driveable, but quite annoying at idle

Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:58 pm
No More 2.3L

This link will answer all of your boost leak testing questions. This was an awesome find by Wally.

452 AWHP 446 lb ft of torque e85 FTW!!

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:59 pm
Profile YIM
DSM Regular

Links been favorited :)

Any other likely causes you can think of?

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:08 pm
Talon of Doom

line to the PCV? You have to remove that to take the valve cover off, maybe you forgot to reconnect it.

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
DSM Regular

First things I checked. I'll look around again. Only thing I really notice is when I shift there's the bov, then a split second hiss so maybe there is a hairline leak somewhere in the charge piping

Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]