[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - N00b MAF question
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
N00b MAF question 
DSM Regular

Post N00b MAF question
Hey guys, been checking this out a bit but in most cases people just leave a mod list and haven't had much luck finding reasoning. Anyhow, I see a lot of people either swapping to a 2g MAF or a 96 ish LT1 GM MAF. Usually, I see the GM MAF after the turbo. So first off, what's the benefit over the 1g MAF and secondly what's the benefit of running the MAF after the turbo?

Main reason I ask is I actually have a 00+ LS1 TB (4") from my GTP and if I can put it to usee and flow more air, than fuck it haha.

98 Grand Prix GTP (L32 swapped, 286whp/368wtq) 13.8 @ 102mph -SOLD
91 Galant VR4 #852/2000. SOLD
97 Outback Legacy 5-speed... SOLD
99 Mustang GT So sue me haha

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:29 am
DSM Regular

Post Re: N00b MAF question
Oh, feel free to tear me a new one. Whole new world for me. I'm a supercharger guy haha.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:30 am
No More 2.3L

Here is a link about how to put a 2G one in. Basically it is bigger and more air can go through it. I wouldn't waste time with a GM MAF as it makes more sense to use proper tuning software and go to a speed density setup and removing the MAF all together.

452 AWHP 446 lb ft of torque e85 FTW!!

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:46 am
Profile YIM
frank the tank

The 1G MAF has a lot of drawbacks to it, the biggest being that it is too small for enough airflow for high horsepower applications without major mods. The 2G MAF is much larger, with more than 50% higher cross-sectional area to flow through. If you are having problems with MAF overrun , you can either hack your 1G MAF up and hope you can tune the car properly with an AFC or dsmlink or you can run the Al Blaha MAF (which is hacked, just more expertly, with electronics changes), or you can install a 2G MAF with an AFC. I personally think that the 2G MAF is the best overall choice for a street driven car. If you install 550s at the same time as the 2G MAF, very little tuning should be necessary on the AFC to have the car running as strong as ever, without the MAF overrun problems.

1g max read flow 36~ lbs per min
2g max read flow 50 lbs per min
Gm max read flow 80 lbs per min

The Maf does not actually "flow"
It's an air temp meter it tells The ecu how much fuel to dump in the engine
Some maf's read better that the stock 1g one

1/4mile 10.5 @ 136 mph personal best 3582R Las Vegas
1/4mile 10.41@ 137.9 mph Fontana personal best 3582R
5 Gears...4 wheel drive/steer...3 Diamonds...2 cams...1 Turbo...0 Reliability

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:49 am
Profile YIM
DSM Regular

Probably should have clarified a bit more on the air flow comment heh. I know it doesn't increase airflow on its's own, but allows you to monitor more incoming air.

Thanks for the links. Def look into it. So what are the benefits/drawbacks of running a MAF after the turbo?

Lastly, I'll be picking up a AFC shortly seeing is I might be needing it haha. May need someones expertise once I'm ready to do this as I don't have experience with one and don't trust myself monkeying around with it

Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:04 am
No More 2.3L

If you run the GM MAF after the turbo the biggest advantage is that you can vent your BOV to atmosphere for the cool noise without it affecting the way your car runs.

And as for the AFC don't do it unless you get one really cheap. Look into ECMlink V3 Lite or talk to some of the 1G guys on here about using the Ostrich with whatever software goes with that. Pretty much for about the same money as a new AFC you will get a hundred times the features and much better tunability.

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:09 am
Profile YIM
DSM Regular

haha i'm a cheapskate. Was gonna look at craigslist :P

I'll have to try and remember that though. Now speaking of tuning. Haven't checked yet, and won't be able to until Sat, but does the GVR4 come with an eprom ECU?

Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:13 am
No More 2.3L

I have no idea if they do or not. Here is a link that shows you how to check if it does.

-Mike W

Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:17 am
Profile YIM
DSM Regular

Killer. Look into that as well haha

Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:20 am

Take a look at Jackal as well, it's what I run and I really like it. As mentioned above, Ecmlink lite is a good option as well. These are probably the two best/cheapest options for a good, non piggyback, tuning solution. If you already have an eprom ecu you're looking at around $420 for ecmlink lite and anywhere from $200-$300+ to get a Jackal setup going. My advice would be to save the cash and go with a more comprehensive tuning solution and not waste your money on the piggyback units.

More info on Jackal here:

10.67@126mph

Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:52 am
Profile YIM
frank the tank

All galants have an eprom ecu from factory

1/4mile 10.5 @ 136 mph personal best 3582R Las Vegas
1/4mile 10.41@ 137.9 mph Fontana personal best 3582R
5 Gears...4 wheel drive/steer...3 Diamonds...2 cams...1 Turbo...0 Reliability

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:53 pm
Profile YIM
DSM Regular

That's what I'll be doing. Speed Density no mas to mess with.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]