[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Transmission died last night 4th gear is no mas..
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Transmission died last night 4th gear is no mas.. 

Post Transmission died last night 4th gear is no mas..
I love the smell of gear oil in the morning! :x

Doing a pull on the freeway last night at about 27 psi of boost shifted from 3rd into 4th and bang! Not sure what happend, I was thinking the 3-4 shift fork broke but the car still goes into [and drives] in 3rd. I can put it in and out of 4th freely without the clutch, but nothing happens except a lovely grinding noise. Worst thing is it punched a hole in the bottom of the case somewhere as it pissed out all my gear oil, safe to say it's probably not rebuildable.

Not sure what I'm going to do now. I have one working '90 tranny (except for 3rd gear grind) and my original '92 tranny with a dead 2nd gear (pops out all the time). I'm trying to find the cheapest fastest route to get the car back up and be somewhat reliable. Options I'm thinking so far:

1. Try and save the 4 spider center diff and use it to rebuild one of my other 2 trannys.
2. Just do the bare minimum to my '90 tranny, which is probably just syncros and weld the center diff.
3. If the 4 spider can be salvaged, use it with my OG '92 tranny to start a new build and buy a used stocker to beat on in the meantime.

Here are the Fail pics :rolleyes:

I blame it on the T-Shirt I was wearning.. I should have known better than to wear that shirt in the IE :P

10.67@126mph

Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:48 am
Profile YIM
Death to Head Gaskets!

Post Re: Transmission died last night 4th gear is no mas..
last night i was sure my car would be going home on a tow truck since i have been boosting the hell out of her with a blown HG. why do you always have to one up me Dustin... lol

Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:51 am

SUCKS!!!

+1 on the shirt...

Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:09 am
Profile YIM

:wtf: DAMN that sucks! I say go with option 3 if you can. You'd have to swap some stuff like shifter/cables/t-case if you wanted to run the '90, right? Good luck with the rebuild!

Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:58 am
Profile WWW

10.67@126mph

Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:04 pm
Profile YIM

Dam that shirt!!!! :x Hope the 4-Spider is salvagable, since that's the bread & butter on that tranny. Guess I missed that bullet!!

531.5whp 414.8tq @ 29psi, FP3575 on Q16

Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:19 pm

That's what I'm hoping for too. It's all good, I really have beat the ever living shit outta this tranny for the past 3-4 months. Lotta hard launches and freeway pulls.

10.67@126mph

Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:23 pm
Profile YIM
Talon of Doom

The 4 spider is most likely salvagable. I'd say, rebuild the 92. Sounds like a worn shift fork or bearing. I thinks thats the better candidate for a rebuild.

Btw, welcome to the "shear 4th gear" club!

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:06 pm
Profile WWW

Damn these clubs! They are making me go broke!

10.67@126mph

Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:19 pm
Profile YIM

You guys are starting to scare me with all the 5 speed horror stories you guys have encountered haha. So freeway pulls mess up the tranny as well there goes one of the things i wanted to do :cry:

Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:52 pm
Post Master

Well your tranny just doesnt give up, just because you do a few pulls on the freeway...Its just like anything it will eventually wear out with years, so its bound to happen sometime, just sooner than what you wanted it too...

Like when I had my 1gb AWD, that i bought from a college girl, it was so virginized that it would shift so freaking smooth and i put the tranny thru hell launches at 6k RPM and all that it never failed, but like i said the tranny was never pushed hard...So its just something that will happen.Eventually, but dont let that scare you away from going to the 5speed wally.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:56 pm

Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:01 pm
Post Master

You will be fine wally...And dustin sorry about having to put ur car down for a while....I'll keep my eyes open to see if i come across a awd tranny for you to run with atleast while you get a beefy rebuild one.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:21 pm
frank the tank

1/4mile 10.5 @ 136 mph personal best 3582R Las Vegas
1/4mile 10.41@ 137.9 mph Fontana personal best 3582R
5 Gears...4 wheel drive/steer...3 Diamonds...2 cams...1 Turbo...0 Reliability

Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:44 pm
Profile YIM

+1 on the face palm

Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next