[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - The Reintroduction of Two Long Lost Brothers
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
The Reintroduction of Two Long Lost Brothers 
DSM Regular

Post The Reintroduction of Two Long Lost Brothers
Over ten years ago I was involved in turning theft recovery 1Gs into SCCA Rally Cars. I haven't been involved in DSMs since that time and recently came upon an opportunity. Back in the day the Mitsubishi factory teams would show up to rallys with their EVOs which totally blew us away. I remember one event where the car rolled down a 200 foot cliff (both nav & driver OK). The Mitsu team pulled it out of the canyon, installed the usable parts on a body in white from the trailer, and were back racing the next day!

Anyway the opportunity came up to get a 1995 Mirage Coupe for free. The car had a blown slave cylinder, blown head gasket, and some crash damage. Knowing that the old Mirage could easily accept a 4G63 and be much lighter than a DSM I hauled it home.

I then came up with the idea to run the car in the $2009 GRM West Coast Challenge which is being run by SDREV. With a budget outlined I started shopping for a 4G63T. Of course I quickly found out it would be difficult to buy an engine, trans, wiring, etc., and remain in budget. Of course that meant PARTS CAR! I found a suitable donor and purchased it yesterday. The car is a 1995 Talon FWD and while it's sad to part out a car I'll be happy to get the Mirage going. Being a 1995 I will also be able to get the CARB approval and be legal.

Photos will be coming soon!

Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:08 am
Squish Face

Post Re: The Reintroduction of Two Long Lost Brothers
Welcome to the board, and it looks like you have some fun ahead of you with that car.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:46 am
Profile WWW

Welcome! Sounds like you have a lot of experience. Good luck w/ your new project and keep us updated! Hope to see you at the meets.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:10 am
Profile WWW
Official Photographer

Welcome cant wait to see it

Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:09 pm
Profile WWW
BANNED 4 LIFE!

Welcome Aboard Man. Hope we can see that car soon.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:30 pm
Profile WWW
DSM Regular

Here's a pic of the recipient....

And a pic of the Donor that I will be parting out...

The FMIC is kind of strange. Obviously a long pipe version and it completely eliminates the bumper support. The Pontiac wheels with balloon tires are tight!

Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:56 pm
BANNED 4 LIFE!

Thats one clean Mirage.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:11 pm
Profile WWW
DSM Regular

Yes it turned out pretty good. I had spent a day getting it cleaned up to the stage you see it in that pic. The headlights were yellowed and the window trim was rusty. Unfortunately it had been in an accident so the hood, driver's fender, and driver's door were a different shade of green than the rest of the car. The rear bumper was a third shade of green.

I have since painted the car, I'll have pics of that soon.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:04 pm

Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:20 am
Profile WWW
Official Photographer

Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:25 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]