[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Simple Yake's Intro
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Simple Yake's Intro 
N00b

Post Simple Yake's Intro
Hey guys what's up, my name is Jake and I live in Littlerock, which is just east of Palmdale. I thought it would be good to get to know some of you guys so we can chillax or something and talk about our DSM's. I'll be rebuilding my engine pretty soon, so if any of you guys live up in the high desert and are willing or experienced with rebuilds then I'd be glad to get to know you. I'm also on dsmtalk.com too as Simple Jake so you can PM me on there too. Thanks a lot for reading this post and I hope to get to know some of you guys personally.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:32 am
DSM Regular

Post Re: Simple Yake's Intro
welcome jake tell us a little about the rebuild that you are planning

1991 tsi awd stock bottom end w/ 2g head, kiggly springs, HKS 272's, RC1200's, shep4, QM twin, fp manifold, full megan exhaust, hx35 in bep housing, ets 4" fmic, BJ'sSMIM, Tial bov, tial 41mm, v3 ecmlink SD, 30psi, E85, 99 problems and this Bitch is one

Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:13 am

Welcome and post pics when you can, we like pics...

Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:04 pm
Profile YIM
N00b

Well it's going to be a stock rebuild. I'm pretty sure the rings are toast because everytime I shift, I get a puff of blue smoke. I already checked my PCV valve and thats good. Turbo has no in and out or side to side shaft play so I'm pretty sure that's not it. I've been keeping it out of boost because if the car sees any kind of boost (even 1psi) I get some blow-by and I get blue smoke out of the exhaust. I have yet to test the compression on it but my neighbor has a compression tester so I'll borrow that from him sometime soon.

I'll be using NPR pistons and rings, ACL race bearings, a timing kit from Rockauto.com, all ARP hardware, I'll be re-using my rods but I'm gonna see if I can get a machine shop to recondition them, and while I'm at it, I'll eliminate the balance shaft. I'm also getting a Rockauto complete gasket kit. I'm trying to do this build as cheap as possible because I'm a poor college student right now living off a single parent income.

And here's some pics of the car:

Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:45 pm

Welcome to the forum Yake. Dont go to cheap on the rebuild because going cheap ends up being expensive. Atleast buy the composite headgasket from the dealership and also the rear main seal which are the hardest one to change. Also buy a OEM timing belt, you dont want it snapping on you while your driving. Yup a compression test could be the best thing you can do to check your motor. Also just because the turbo doesnt have play doesnt mean its messed up. I had my old 14b start burning oil before it gave out with no sign of shaftplay so I assumed it was the motor but eventually it did die. I replaced the 14b and the problem went away. Good luck on the rebuild though.

Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:32 am
DSM Regular

does it smoke while idling as it may also be your valve seals. when you are in vacuum it could be pulling the oil through the seals into the chamber. a good sign is oil in the exhaust ports.

1991 tsi awd stock bottom end w/ 2g head, kiggly springs, HKS 272's, RC1200's, shep4, QM twin, fp manifold, full megan exhaust, hx35 in bep housing, ets 4" fmic, BJ'sSMIM, Tial bov, tial 41mm, v3 ecmlink SD, 30psi, E85, 99 problems and this Bitch is one

Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:47 am
N00b

Actually, yeah it does smoke when idling. But only on a cold start. After it warms up and everything it doesn't smoke at idle, but it does smoke after every shift if I get it in boost. I'm really just trying to drive it like an old lady to get me to school and back. But hopefully, I'll get a job at Autozone and then I can really start saving for the parts that I want.

Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:47 am
N00b

Actually, I think I'm just going to buy a used engine off craigslist or something cause its cheaper and will take less time. I found an assembled block without a head or pan for 250 this week so I assume that when I have the money to buy an engine, they'll be aound the same price. At least I'm hoping they will be.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:39 pm

Im in Lancaster! Hit me up if you need any help. I have a compression tester as well. There are a few of us car gusy that get together here in Lancaster/palmdale

Still have stuff for sale: 1G TB and 2 1G TPS sensors, thumbnail spoiler, stock cams, 2GA stock headlight. Make me an offer!

Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:00 pm
N00b

Awesome! I've been looking for someone who lives up here for the longest time. I'm always in West Palmdale at my girlfriend's house and I'm always in Lancaster for school(AVC). I'm just trying to save some money right now to buy a used engine so I can just swap it out. And when I get the engine, I'll PM you so I can get your help.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:18 am
Post Master

Welcome to the site.
Like Wally and everybody will tell yo TRY not to go cheap on parts bro.
Yes vato zone has lifetime warranty on most of their shit, but they have it for a reason. :shock:
Good luck on your build.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:04 am
N00b

Well I submitted my FAFSA for school today, and I'm eligible for $5,550. So when I get the money for that in a couple weeks, I'll buy the used engine to swap into my car, and while I have the other engine out I'll start to buil that. Just because I can't spare any down-time with my car because of school. I was thinking about getting the Frankenstein Evo 9 pistons/6 bolt rod combo. I'm only going to be going for 400 or 450hp max. I'll be using the car mostly for time attack/road racing at Willow Springs. And of course I'll be getting all of the supporting mods like wally 255, AFPR, 750's, gauges, Llink etc.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:54 pm
Post Master

After doing some research on the evo pistons, i wouldnt go that route.
Read my thread under "2g tech"

Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:34 pm
N00b

Well it seems as if I have no other route to go but forged. Or maybe I'll just go oem. I dont know, theres just so many ways to go.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:44 pm
N00b

You know what, I've been looking everywhere for OEM rods but can't find any ANYWHERE except dsmgraveyard.com. After reading that link and reading on dsmtalk about them, I want to steer clear of them.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next