[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Removing burnt rubber gasket from valve cover
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Removing burnt rubber gasket from valve cover 

Post Removing burnt rubber gasket from valve cover
I got the valve cover from angelGSX and he didnt tell me the valver cover gasket were burnt on there as in they are hard plastic and not removable. I tried baking them haha that didnt work soaked that thin water nothing. Took a heat gun aka moms hair dryer that didnt work either. Tried scraping it off took 40 minutes got on sparkplug gasket off. Is there a easier way to remove these. Im getting pissed of at this stupid valve cover nothing works the gasket wont budge.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:18 pm

Post Re: Removing burnt rubber gasket from valve cover
go at it with anything that u can think of, just dont mess up the actual valve cover.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:22 am

I know and thats why I was asking if there was a easier way so I dont damage the valve cover. The first gasket was a bitch and there are still little chunks in it. Anyone else has an idea that would make this easier to remove.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:56 am

2 hours later 40% of valve cover burtn gaskets removed. :(

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:20 am
Goderator

A cold chisel and a small hammer?

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:35 am
No More 2.3L

If the valve cover isn't painted you can try soaking it in gas or some other solvent over night. That should eat the rubber pretty good.

452 AWHP 446 lb ft of torque e85 FTW!!

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:40 am
Profile YIM

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:00 am

maybe you can try some aircraft stripper on the affected areas. that eats up plastic/rubber and will prep it for paint as well if the valve cover has paint on it still.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:25 am

Well I was working on my car and my lil sister told me that if i wanted for her to help me scrape the gasket I told her hahahaha go for it if I cant do it you cant do it. There I was wiring my fogs and painting the front 2gb bumper. She comes out running with the big rubber gasket in one whole piece you know the gasket that goes around the valve cover she took that off in one whole piece. I was like wtf now fucking way how the hell did you do that. She told me she grabbed a flathead long and really thin tip. She wedge between the vlave cover and gasket,. She kept going left and right wedging it more and more then she pushed down it on it using the cover as leverage and s little piece popped off she grabbed this weird skin removal thing its really super thin she wedge it more until she can fit her finger and she just kept pulling it off with her hands :(. The whole thing was one piece hahaha :owned: :ugh:

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:41 am
Goderator

Then she went back inside to play with her Barbies and get ready for ballet practice.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:47 am

haha this foo she hates barbies she is 14 shes far from still liking barbie and she thinks ballet is stupid.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:57 am
Goderator

That's what I meant...Your kid sister pwned you hardcore.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:08 am

hahahahahahaha wtf how did you change my avatar thats some funny ass shit lmfao. Put it back christ man that is some funny shit I love my little sister lol.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:18 am

why did you take of the pic can you put my old one back on that shit took me forever to up load lol.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:21 am
DSM Regular

What would also work, is this hydraulic fluid we use at work called skydrol, that shit eats away at rubber like no other. We have to replace our shoes every year cause that shit eats through the bottom of oil resistant shoes.

Let it soak over night and I bet that gasket would come right out.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next