[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - wheel bearings
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
wheel bearings 
DSM Regular

Post wheel bearings
Who on ladsm knows wheel bearings? I spend $300+ at a shop to replace one that was about to fall apart completely, and I know I can get the wheel hub assembly for ~$50 instead of the $200+ that the shop charged me. I think the bearings on the other 3 wheels may also be bad, but haven't yet gotten to the point of the one I replaced.

My question is, is it a tough job to just pull off the old hub assembly and install a new one? That's all it says to do in my manuals. Not pressing out the old bearing from the hub and installing a new one, but just replacing the entire wheel hub.

Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:01 pm
Luvz teh Beer!!

Post Re: wheel bearings
If you replace the whole hub assembly than its not that hard, you just have to remove the brake caliper & rotor , remove the axle nut unbolt the hub. It shouldn't have to be pressed out but sometimes they can be in there pretty good , spray with PB blaster and get a big hammer!

I'm assuming you all have guns and crack!

Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:40 pm
Official Photographer

Get the whole assembly they are around 70-90 each I think

Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:15 am
Profile WWW
DSM Regular

It's done. I found a new hub/bearing assembly on Ebay for ~$40 and replaced the right rear assembly that was going bad. I have drum brakes on that wheel, so there's not much to do, just unbolt and pull out the old hub and slide the new one in.

The left rear wheel is making squealing/ scraping noises. They're hardly there at all on cold start and get louder as you drive it. I took it up to the shop where they installed the hub/bearing assembly there, and they say it's not the bearing, it's something else (but I'm not convinced).

I think the front bearings are OK for now.

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:20 pm
DSM Regular

Miracle: After another round of light cleaning and greasing on Sunday, and taking it for a good drive (about 50 miles) on the freeway on Monday, the LR wheel scraping sounds are about completely gone.

So at this point, I'd like to take some steps to improve the handling. The rear wheel alignment is the biggest problem at the moment. I don't even know what suspension I have (I'm guessing all stock). If anyone has suggestions on that let me know.

Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:32 am
No More 2.3L

It's been a long time since I looked at anything non-coilover but when I first got my 2G one of the first things I did was put on a set of Eibach pro-kit springs and some tokiko shocks. They were a huge improvement over the worn out stock suspension it had.

452 AWHP 446 lb ft of torque e85 FTW!!

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:52 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]