[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - oil light on after rebuild
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
oil light on after rebuild 
DSM Regular

Post oil light on after rebuild
So I basically did this procedure, cleaning out the pistons, honing the cylinders and replacing the worn/stuck piston rings. The compression is good (190-190-195-200), maybe a bit high. It starts up fine, but the low oil light is on and I haven't been able to get it to go off.

Any suggestions? Could be simple, or could be a long diagnosis. There's no oil gauge in this model of the Spyder GS, just the red oil idiot light. I think the pump is working and moving oil but haven't really verified that it's getting up into the head.

Fri May 16, 2014 9:27 am
Luvz teh Beer!!

Post Re: oil light on after rebuild
Maybe a bad sensor for the light but you should get an Oil pressure gauge and hook it up to see what's going on.

I'm assuming you all have guns and crack!

Fri May 16, 2014 12:04 pm
DSM Regular

What I'd really like to do is to make .

Sat May 17, 2014 8:33 pm

you might be able to fit an oil filter housing from a turbo model and not have to worry about drilling and tapping since it already has the ports for an oil pressure gauge.

2003 Yamaha R6

Fri May 23, 2014 6:05 am
DSM Regular

Well I was thinking of something like that, but I'm not sure if all the holes would line up. 's a YT video from Jafro about the different oil filter housings for dsms. I believe a 4g64 block is identical to a 4g63 n/t as far as the oil filter holes but I don't know that.

But anyways . The 1/8 NPT threading (by hand) did not go well and I took it to a machine shop and they cut a 1/4 NPT thread. I have now an oil pressure testing gauge, but I think I might have already found the problem. I'll probably know for sure fairly soon what's going on.

Hopefully that fitting won't leak too much when I start it, they said at the machine shop that I would need some type of sealant in there.

Sat May 24, 2014 12:22 pm
DSM Regular

The main problem was a badly installed rod bearing on the #1 piston rod, and maybe a lot of contaminants overloading the filter / relief valve. I swapped those two DNJ bearings with two of the original OEM ones I had around. There's been no oil light on now for 100+ miles. I got 14psi oil pressure at idle from the test gauge, though I think that's before the oil filter. The 1/4 NPT hole is leaking a bit. I'll probably seal it up with a hex head pipe plug until I figure out the best way to run a gauge up into the dash.

I was thinking of getting something like but I saw some reviews that it's flimsy and might not last too long.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:05 pm

use some teflon tape aka thread sealer on the fitting

2003 Yamaha R6

Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]