[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Finaly Found Time to Tear my Engine Apart.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Finaly Found Time to Tear my Engine Apart. 
No More 2.3L

Post Finaly Found Time to Tear my Engine Apart.
So the cylinder walls are hosed and I haven't pulled the pistons yet but I imagine they are pretty beat to. It's almost like a deja-vu of the last engine. Pistons able to rock back and forth in the bores and cylinder walls gouged to hell. I have a stock 2.0 crank laying around so I think I will be getting a new block and a set of HD 2.0 pistons and building her back up as a 2.0.

Here is a pic from this morning with everything pretty much together.

Here is about 2 hours later.

I will update this thread with the rebuild but it is going to take a while due to my work schedule sucking so much.

452 AWHP 446 lb ft of torque e85 FTW!!

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:50 pm
Profile YIM

Post Re: Finaly Found Time to Tear my Engine Apart.
DAMN! Your car does NOT like stroker motors! =\ Sorry to hear, man. Good luck with the next build!

Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:14 pm
Profile WWW
No More 2.3L

I still haven't gotten around to pulling the block and trans from the car and figuring out how to fund the next build so not really much has happened.

I think I will pull them out this Saturday. I'm pretty interested to see what the bottom of my oil pan looks like.

If any of you guys are any where near San Diego this weekend and want to have some beers feel free to hit me up.

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:47 am
Profile YIM
No More 2.3L

Well, I'm pretty excited that I have a block, crank, head, and some other parts at a machine shop with pistons and valves on the way from RRE. My work schedule sucks but hopefully I will have the car up and running by late summer.

-Mike W

Fri May 10, 2013 9:36 pm
Profile YIM
No More 2.3L

Here are some pictures from the bottom end tear down. I'm pretty impressed that this engine was running.

On a side note I'm thinking Kelford 272s for the 2.0 build. Any input or other cam suggestions?

-Mike W

Sat May 11, 2013 7:44 am
Profile YIM
DSM Regular

How many strokers have you gone through?

Sat May 11, 2013 2:14 pm
No More 2.3L

I have gone through two. That was the second one in under 30k miles. Both died the same death from crazy piston slap.

-Mike W

Sat May 11, 2013 8:21 pm
Profile YIM
DSM Regular

Was this engine built by Millenium? Should I be concerned that I have a fresh 2.3 built by Greg right now?

Mon May 13, 2013 6:18 pm
Profile ICQ
No More 2.3L

The rebuild isn't going as fast as I would like but here is an update on what is going on.

I picked up a new block from Kris and already had a stock 2.0 crank laying around. My Manly connecting rods are being reused with new bushings and I bought a set of Wiseco HD pistons. My cylinder head needed 2 new intake valves and 8 exhaust valves as well as new guides for all those valves. The last time the engine died I also had a few valves with excessive stem wear and I think that it is possible that this may have been the root cause of both engine failures. The FP4R cams had to much lift for the amount of times my head was rebuilt and the valve stems now stuck up to high and the excessive load wore the stems down. And this would let a lot of oil from the head into the cylinders through the valve guides.

The block and head are at a machine shop here in San Diego getting the new valves and guides installed and the rotating assembly installed and balanced. Hopefully it will be done when I get back from my next underway and I will be able to pick up a set of Kelford 272s and do the final engine assembly and get my GSX back up on the road.

In the mean time I'm looking to pick up a 3G brake booster and master cylinder to make the EVO brakes feel better since installing that with the engine out will just be way easier. I also need to paint my calipers since the EVO red has faded to pink.

-Mike W

Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:36 am
Profile YIM
No More 2.3L

Got some parts in the mail last Friday

Also my pistons, valves, and valve guides got to the machine shop today. I also dropped off my fluid dampner with them so they could balance the whole rotating assembly for some high revving fun.

I'm going to be going underway before the shop is done with the short block and head but they should have it ready for me when I get back and then I will be able to do the final assembly and get an engine back in my car.

-Mike W

Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:28 pm
Profile YIM
No More 2.3L

So the block I had turned out to already be to large for the pistons I have. After a serous hunt I finally found a suitable block and now have it at the machine shop. I should be able to pick my stuff up when I get back from my next underway.

Downside of stuff, upon close inspection of my Eagle stroker crank that I was going to sell I found that I put some hair line cracks in it. Looks like a broke the striker even worse than I thought.

-Mike W

Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:54 pm
Profile YIM
No More 2.3L

So that isn't really what you want a forged 4340 Crank to look like.

-Mike W

Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:31 pm
Profile YIM

Eeeeekk. Wes, how hard are you looking to push this build? A good stock 6bolt crank should hold up fine

Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:00 am
No More 2.3L

The new build has a stock crank in it. And I should be picking it up in a few days! Pictures to follow.

-Mike W

Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:34 pm
Profile YIM

Cool, keep us post man. Good luck

Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next