[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - tranny or axle fml
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
tranny or axle fml 

Post tranny or axle fml
one problem after another fml.
anyways i was driving to work, shifted into second and BAAM!! i hear something i knew was going to be expensive! anyways pulled over and popped the hood, nothing unusual. Started her up and put it in first and doesn't move. now im thinking WTH!!
i can go to any gear without pushing in the clutch with the car on.
if the car in gear i give it a little gas and my speedometer goes up.
towed it home =( jack it up and passenger axle is broken.
could it be my axle or my whole tranny?

btw i have a spare 91+ tranny but i have a 90
i've read and called fellow dsm'ers and have had mixed feedback on it.
some say i need to replace EVERYTHING! shifter base, cables and brackets.
some say just swap out the cable mounting bracket and the levers (if i can take it out)

i feel like giving up on this car, one thing after another. everything on the car is almost new except the tranny.

Wed May 30, 2012 5:25 pm
DSM Regular

Post tranny or axle fml
Don't give up!!!

Wed May 30, 2012 7:44 pm

Post Re: tranny or axle fml
If your speedometer goes up I'm thinking you might have blown up your transfer case or an axle. Any gnarly noises coming from the trans when you shift gears or rev it?

I'd swap to the 91+ shifter, cables, and brackets if you put the 91+ in to keep everything in alignment but that's just me. Also you might need a 91+ transfer case with the correct amount of splines on it (can't remember when they changed this. Damn, I'm forgetting a lot of DSM knowledge I used to have!)

Wed May 30, 2012 7:52 pm
Profile WWW

this is for my fwd no transfer case
and no weird noise coming from the tranny
ordered an axle from autozone in the meantime, but i can't for the life of me get the axle nut off!! i'm literary jumping up and down on my breaker bar, instead of the nut coming loose the tire just spins.
hopefully replacing the axle will solve my problems, but i doubt it will because i don't see how my car is not stalling out if i put it in gear while on idle. it doesn't grind just goes freely in each gear. however if my differential is done for then my speedometer wouldn't move as i rev it in gear since 1g's are gear driven off the differential.

anytips on getting the axle nut off. i've tried pb blasting the hell out of it, heating it up for 10 mins with a heavy duty heat gun, stand on the breaker bar and jump up and down on it, and still won't come off. it doesn't look like its rusted in, more likely seized up.
well im going to try and take that sucker out again. i already broke a 1/2 extension for my breaker bar.

btw i don't want to give up on her but my lady and mother wants me to get rid of it. not letting me use another car to get around until i get it fixed unless i sell it. but i have to put my foot down i'll fix it take the metro to work if i have to. sucks we have two extra cars but they won't let me use it unless i find a buyer for my car.

oh how i love my dsm lmao

Wed May 30, 2012 11:01 pm

Only asking because you didn't mention it, but did you remove the cotter pin from the axle nut completely? Try slipping a long cheater bar over the breaker bar for better leverage. Also do it with the car on the ground so the wheel doesn't spin on you.

Or use an impact gun

531.5whp 414.8tq @ 29psi, FP3575 on Q16

Thu May 31, 2012 12:24 am
Quagmire

Did u drain the tranny oil yet? That will give you a huge clue. Ive blown my diff before in my fwd. It would go in gear but it would not move. Also it destroyed 4th gear

Thu May 31, 2012 1:51 am
Goderator

Put a floor jack under the bar and jack your breaker bar up.

Thu May 31, 2012 8:26 am

i'm going to drain the fluid right now and look for metal shavings.
as for the axle nut, yes i have taken the cotter pin all the way out. and the car is on the ground with the wheels on. i'll try the cheater bar today and see if that works. i saw that video on youtube with the cheater bar and jack stand, only problem is that i already broke both of my 1/2 extensions lol, i'll get my die grinder and grind away a little bit the axle nut on where it meets the washer. wish me luck i called for back up just to remove this damn nut off.

Thu May 31, 2012 9:51 am

edit: conquered that nut lol the cheater bar helped a lot. good thing the axle wasn't seized up, pushed it out with my finger and used a pry bar to take it off the tranny with little effort.
also drained out my tranny fluid didn't find any metal shavings, it just looked really dirt like coffee.
on my way to get some redline and slap the new axle on.
the axle seals still look good no tears and leaks.

Thu May 31, 2012 11:54 am

:D replaced the axle and put some redline in it, shifts a lot better.
its all fixed thanks guys. to celebrate im going to irwindale tonight and run it!!!
:partyman:

Thu May 31, 2012 4:09 pm

Don't forget to take your cheater bar with you :drinkers:

531.5whp 414.8tq @ 29psi, FP3575 on Q16

Thu May 31, 2012 4:16 pm

^^ And a spare axle or two :wink:

10.67@126mph

Thu May 31, 2012 5:04 pm
Profile YIM

LMAOO!!! BEST TIME 10.47 hahaha all i did was spin on 1st and it wouldn't go to 2nd!!! good times, everyone beat me hahaha. time to rebuild the spare tranny it doesn't look that hard to rebuild it.

Thu May 31, 2012 9:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]