[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - 420A Questions
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
420A Questions 
N00b

Post 420A Questions
I've owned a GS-T and a GS-X before and I know a good amount about those. I've just recently picked up a '97 RS with the 420A. I'm currently in the process of rebuilding the engine for it because the person that previously owned it ran the car with no oil and threw a rod.

So, I'd like to hear from owners with this particular engine. How's the reliability? What kind of issues am I looking forward to?

Also, I'm no newb when it comes to cars so if you have nothing to say about this engine, then keep quiet. I'm just trying to learn a thing or two about the 420A and really have no interest in people making comments like "Try Searching" or "Go figure it out".

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:57 pm

Post Re: 420A Questions
I had a 420a and put 180k on it. I did the normal up keep and replaced the head @ 135k bcuz of low compression...i had no problems w/it, but i granny shift and not double clutch type of driver...

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:39 pm
Profile YIM
N00b

Thanks. Are you the only active member on here, Alvin?

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:20 pm
No More 2.3L

He just has the least to do. I'd offer advice for the 420a but I don't know crap about them.

452 AWHP 446 lb ft of torque e85 FTW!!

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:30 pm
Profile YIM
Post Master

They are good motors not performance wise but reliability theyre great aslong as proper maintance its done...

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:45 pm
Profile YIM

Reliability wise they are great. Good DD good gas mileage not the best performance unless you boost it but thats a path most people avoid since these cars come turbo as you know and with a great engine.

More info here.

2gnt.com

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:01 pm
Profile YIM
N00b

Thanks, Guys. I appreciate the help.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:52 am

WORD...

Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:22 pm
Profile YIM
DSM Regular

I ran 8psi through a 420A in a '99 GS for over a year with a Hahn turbo system without any problems. They are very well built, modern engines, and will last a long time if maintained properly. The early 95-96 engines had some headgasket issues, but 97+ are reliable. Neons with that engine do very well in 24 Hours of Lemons and Chumpcar, which means they are extremely high mileage engines that get raced for hours on end and stay somewhat together. At one point I was a huge advocate of 420A performance when I turbo'd mine, but now that you can get GS-T's for less than the price of an aftermarket turbo system, I'd recommend 2GNTs as daily drivers only. Though automatic ones make great bracket racers. You'll get in the low 17's consistently every time and are a cinch to launch.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:33 pm
Profile ICQ
N00b

Well, I have no plans to boost it. I just got one for pretty much nothing but it needs a motor. I'm already in the process of rebuilding one. It's completely disassembled. I've already done the crank and rod bearings. The head is also being rebuilt with new valves and guides. That should be ready by tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up, guys.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:08 pm

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:22 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]