[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Air in cooling system
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Air in cooling system 
DSM Regular

Post Air in cooling system
I bought a 1G radiator, because of my stocker turning brown/cracking, as I thought it would fit... I found out the hard way an saw that it wasn't a direct fit. So I put the stocker bak on with fresh coolant and ever since, the cooling fans been on non stop (which never happened before) and I just noticed right now as I got off work (on the fwy for 1hr) the needle rised above the middle mark. I am almost positive I got air in the system but not sure how to get rid of it...

Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:07 am
Goderator

Post Re: Air in cooling system
Squeeze the bottom hose and fill until the level stops dropping.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:33 am
Post Master

You can also start the car when it's cold with the radiator cap off and let it idle until it warms up fully. Turn the heater on full-blast to keep all the coolant circulating. Stand-by and top it off with coolant as it sucks it down. This usually works pretty well.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:01 pm
DSM Regular

I'll have to try that next Capt.

Now that i think about it, i had the heater on, on the fwy. An as i arrived home thats when i saw needle go up. It cant be the heater core or anything cuz this started happening after i flushed the while cooling system.

I also squeezed the bottom hose jus to see what happens, I heard a shit load of bubbbles go into the reserve tank the first try.... Not sure if that took out most of the air...
But Im gonna try that next Capt.

Thnx Guys. +2

Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:25 pm

Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:49 pm
DSM Regular

You could run 50/50 or 70/30 water/coolant, more water helps.the car perform and remove heat more efficiently, and the coolant is enough for lubrication and raising the boiling point of the water.

Hope this helps

Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:04 pm
DSM Regular

Ok this morning I let the car idle, took the cap off an turned up the heater on full blast... I did see it go down, I added about 1/4 of a cup of water (distilled). Then it stopped going down, I even waited 15-20mins. It stayed, so u put the cap on an drove off... I didn't notice the needle going up yet but the fan still stays on all the time, never shuts off like it once did...

Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:56 am
Post Master

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:43 pm
DSM Regular

I was thinking the same... I steam cleaned the motor after I did the radiator flush to keep things clean, maybe water messed up the fan switch/sensor. Idk... I drove it to work today on the fwy, needle didn't move above normal temp but the fan is still on, never shuts off

Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:12 pm
Death to Head Gaskets!

Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:19 pm
DSM Regular

I don't think it's the fan relay... The needle went above (middle) normal again heading to work as I got off the fwy. I think it is overheating, my guess is the thermostat not opening/closing properly... But it's strange how this problem never happened before I flushed the coolant... I'm pretty sure I got all the air out

Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:38 am
DSM Regular

^^ I forgot to add on my previous post,

I was curious and checked my hoses when I arrived at work... Is the lower radiator hose normally cold? The top was very hot... But the bottom hose is cold, like if it's not circulating at all.

Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:04 pm

This tech article answers some of your questions.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12667

2003 Yamaha R6

Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:00 pm
DSM Regular

Nice... Thanks for the heads up, I couldn't find anything like that thru google.

Looks like I'm gonna hit 2 birds with 1 stone an ditch the rad cap an thermostat, replacing both an see what happens frm there... If it still overheats after, I'm lost.

Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:36 pm
DSM Regular

I changed my thermostat, radiator cap and had my relative use their credit card for my aluminum radiator cuz the stocker was cracking an started a slow leak on the inlet area... So I changed all 3. Now it runs good, stays kool. Got this (no-name brand) aluminum radiator at this place in El Monte for $110 brand new.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next