[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - to cat or not to cat?
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
to cat or not to cat? 
DSM Regular

Post to cat or not to cat?
so, when I got the car, it reaked of cigarrete smell, so much that I didn't even notice the smell off the exhaust. Well not the smell of cigarrete is barely noticeable. And the exhaust smells like shit now, so I wanna put in a cat.

ilooked around and I found some hi-flow but I also read that they don't have the filter, so they don't do much. Then I found some universal ones. Which one should I put?

My goals are somewhere between 300-350fwhp as I want it to be a DD and somewhat reliable, so would a cat hurt my numbers to much?

Thanks

Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:33 pm
Luvz teh Beer!!

Post Re: to cat or not to cat?
Are you sure you dont just have exhaust leaks or maybe your car is running rich or burning oil? I usually dont run a cat but when I do I dont notice any difference.

I'm assuming you all have guns and crack!

Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:14 pm
DSM Regular

Ill have to check tomorrow, ill take a video and post it. I didn't. See what color the smoke was cuz of my tint, I just saw smoke. White is oil burning right? And black is rich.

and if I'm running rich what can I do? Dsm link?

Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:49 pm

Naw white usually means burning coolant. You might have a bad 02 sensor causing you to run rich or a boost leak somewhere.

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:21 pm
DSM Regular

I do have a boost leak.

And I had to go buy stuff so I decided to take the car, and I took a whiff at the exhaust, I picked up a sweet smell, so I'm looking at a boost leak test to find the leaks, and a HG replacement?

Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:28 pm
Talon of Doom

if your head gasket is blown enough to burn coolant, your car would be overheating pretty bad and coolant will keep dissapearing.

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:48 pm
Profile WWW
DSM Regular

Are you saying the exhaust smells bad when you sniff the muffler, or it smells bad from inside the car? If it smells bad inside the car, a cat won't fix that. You probably had a leak at the exhaust manifold or turbo/downpipe area. Work on fixing any exhaust leaks first. If it smells bad/sweet when you sniff the muffler, it sounds like there is a bigger problem. A boost leak wouldn't make it smell bad. In fact I rather like the smell of a rich 4G63. You are probably burning oil or coolant.

blue smoke = oil
white smoke = coolant
black smoke = fuel

You don't need DSMlink to stop running rich. If you are running so rich that it's causing a problem, there is something wrong. Your injectors flow too much for your setup, or you have an upgraded fuel pump that is overrunning your fpr, or you have some sensors/ECU that are not working properly, etc. Troubleshoot before modding the car to fix a problem.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:34 pm
Profile ICQ
DSM Regular

Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:34 pm
DSM Regular

Put in the O2 sensor (put a post on the nondsm about it) , black smoke seems to be gone have to check in the morning though.
Still gotta get to those boost leaks though.

Thanks for your help guys!

Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:47 am
DSM Regular

ya i had a head gasket problem that ain't it, i been driving your car around these past couple days cause mines down but its running smooth a lil odd on the idle though

Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:41 pm
DSM Regular

Yeah I noticed it right before I left. When I was waiting on the light to the freeway.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]