[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Oil Article from FP
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Oil Article from FP 
No More 2.3L

Post Oil Article from FP
FP posted this up last October and I think it is some really good information.

I haven't had bad luck with Mobile 1 but I'm not taking chances so I switched over to Valvoline VR-1 20W-50.

452 AWHP 446 lb ft of torque e85 FTW!!

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:04 pm
Profile YIM

Post Re: Oil Article from FP
this is very interesting. What type of oil does everyone use? I use 10-40 but reading this i dont know if i should go to "racing" oil.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:45 pm
Profile YIM

Saw this one a while ago on tuners. I've been running Brad Penn oil ever since.

10.67@126mph

Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:25 pm
Profile YIM
Post Master

For a long time I always ran Castrol GTX 20w-50. Never had any issues, and I've been on the same engine and the same turbo for 5+ years. I switched to Castrol GTX 10w-30 a while back. I might go back to 20w-50 though.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:31 pm

This is a great article. Very useful information. It should almost be a sticky. These types of threads are the best.

+1 with the no bad luck on mobile 1. I just made the switch to VR1 20-50 also. I'm a little nervous about it though. Especially since I never had a problem with full synthetic oil.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:55 am
Death to Head Gaskets!

Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:34 am
DSM Regular

Ya I See That but It doesnt talk bout Mobil 1 15W-50 fully Synthetic which is Race proven I wouldnt want to run anything lighter than 15w-50 when I break the motor in I use 20W-50 Plus Im reading the Mobil 1 bottle and doesnt say anything about GF-4 what it does say that: " Mobil 1 15W-50 is a race proven product and is suitalbe for a wide range of motorsport applications including sprint and endurance racing and on both circle and road tracks. Used by grassroots racers as well as professionals in a wide varity of race series including ALMS, NASCAR, AND GRAND PRIX RACING." Half of Nascar uses it and they ride motors harder than any Racer after that being said Im gonna do more research to see if there been any problems with 15W-50 Mobil 1 fully Synthetic

Last edited by 50trimanic on Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:41 am
Goderator

Does NASCAR use off the shelf consumer oil? I imagine they're getting Mobile 1 drums but they're getting a proprietary mix specially formulated for their sustained RPM range.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:04 am
DSM Regular

Well I talked to FP themselves and they said that research only applies to their RED & BLACK turbos reason being about brass componets not reacting to the zinc phos..

Also Mobil 1 15W-50 fully synthetic carries 1200 zinc phos. parts per million
so does Royal Purple 1200 zinc

John Shepard runs Motul synthetic oil still doing more research

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:49 am
DSM Regular

I've used nothing but Mobil 1 10w-30 in my Talon. That includes 15,000 miles of 26psi on an FP Green turbo. The car has been sitting for about 6 years, and I actually just pulled the turbo this weekend. I was amazed to find absolutely zero shaft play in any direction. And that is not a water cooled turbo. I guess that would prove what 50trimanic just posted about it only applying to their Red and Black turbos. Not that I am opposed to changing oils since it looks like the brad penn oil is about the same price anyway and comes so highly recommended.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:06 pm
Profile ICQ
helmet polisher

I needed to change my oil anyways, gonna go with the vr1 20w50 I noticed it said you need to do your oil changes more frequently, any idea how long? ive always changed the synthetic at 3k

Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:45 pm

I'm confused on the valvoline VR-1 oil. Seems to be two different types of VR1, One syntheic and regular. Both are in the 20-50 weight. Which one did you use Wes? Im getting different imputs on both...

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:25 pm
DSM Regular

After Reaserching on different Oils Im came to a conclusion Any oil that has a Large amount of Zinc is good for Lubercating a motor Im gonna say 1200 Or more Zinc is great. I talk to someone who is in to I guess Derby racing (racing laps aroung dirt) and his theory was mobil 1 is to oxidated and his oil (10W-30) would get dark after three Races so he switched to Castrol Syntec with an additive of Zinc and says his Oil looks the same as when he put it in there after the same amount of Races He is in a 700 HP V8.....

I ran Mobil 1 for years never had a problem.. I even would run 20W-50 Castrol GTX and would change my oil every 1500 miles and never had a problem..
Ya there is many different Oils that are great and it is all how you ride the car and take care of it....

I asked someone else who has about 40,000 miles so far on a built 4G63T still running strong who uses the car as a daily driver for work, for racing, and even for ralli racing his response was he uses the cheapest synthetic from walmart for daily driving and Redline Synthetic for racing so i think that should answer everybodys thoughts

Have you guys seen that Lucus Racing Oil that stuff looks like real cold syrup coming out the jar also high in Zinc
I guess you get what you pay for.............

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:56 pm
Goderator

Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:33 pm
Post Master

I haven't ran synthetic oil in any of my DSM's since like 2003. Synthetic can handle higher heat and won't break down its viscosity like dino oil, but synthetic also has no way to break down combustion by-products like fuel. I don't know about you guys, but my DSM likes to make its oil smell like gas almost instantly. My motor is built pretty loose, thus there is a lot of blow-by, thus lots of crap makes its way into my oil very quickly. Because of this, I change my oil a lot, but I also don't drive my car very often either. For you kiddies running E85, it's probably even worse. Just something to think about.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next