[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - My broken DSM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
My broken DSM 
DSM Regular

Post Re: My broken DSM

Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:52 pm
Profile ICQ
DSM Regular

I tackled the fuel system on Saturday. I got lucky that the pump assembly and tank were in good shape, so I just needed to replace the strainer on the pump and repair the sheared bolts on the tank.

I twisted off the stumps of the bolts to get ready to drill them out,

Drilled out.

I used JB Weld Water Weld, which is designed to patch gas tanks.

Bolts in place. I let it sit for 30 minutes before installing the pump assembly.

I anti-seized the shit out of everything and put it all back together. I was able to torque down the new bolts just like the others. Should be good.

Injectors with old O-rings and insulators.

All fixed up.

And installed. Fuel system is now good to go. (I also replaced the fuel filter, but that's boring)

While I have the transfer case off, I decided to finally fix the sloppy driveshaft carrier bearings the DSM way.

This hole is on top of the bearing. You basically inject 100% silicone into this top hole until it leaks out the bottom holes. Pretty straightforward.

Filling the top.

And making a godawful mess

I also installed some new bits and pieces that I've been collecting for a while.

My To Do list.

I just picked up rotors and rear brake pads today. I have Hawk HPS front pads on order, as well as a new knock sensor, and front axles which will all be here this week. And I put in an order at RRE for SS braided brake lines for 2g big brakes on a 1g.

The only thing I really have left to do is figure out what to do about my intake. I installed an FP Green in 2002 and tossed my original intake tube, but now that I'm installing a 14b for a while (at least until I get the car registered in California), I might just go pick up a stock intake tube from the JY. Or does anyone have a stocker lying around you don't need?

I also might cut the radiator core support out of a car at the JY this weekend too so I can finally replace mine from my accident 10 years ago.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:34 pm
Profile ICQ
DSM Regular

Getting really close.

Working on fabbing a new lower IC pipe.

I finally found my other foglight and mounted the FMIC. It's starting to look like a functional car again.

I need to find a driver side headlight assembly since mine is frozen. I also need a stock 1g AWD catback and intake tube/filter assembly.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:15 pm
Profile ICQ
Post Master

I believe I have a the intake tube pm me

Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:20 pm
DSM Regular

I did the unthinkinable and bought a performance part from Autozone.

Well ok, it's just a silicone reducer, but I still felt ashamed even being in that aisle.

The reducer is 3" to 2.5", but the turbo inlet is 2.25", so I cut up a Home Depot rubber coupler and fit it around the turbo inlet to act as a spacer.

Like so.

Then fitted the Autozone coupler (after scratching the SPECTRE shit off the side).

And after painting over my red powder coating with flat black, I decided to use the 2G MAS again since I'm just on the 14b for now and I don't have the parts for speed density yet.

Painted my intercooler flat black.

2G AWD big brake upgrade with RRE Stainless lines.

Lower IC pipe fabbed together out of pixie dust and unicorn farts. (or whatever I had sitting around the garage). This only needs to get me by until I change turbos again.

Intake and upper IC pipes.

Finished engine bay. Looks stock appearing-ish to me.

Newly painted FMIC. I'm a little sad to lose the huge F-off silver grin, but I'll get used to the stealthier version. The camera flash makes it look a little weird. It's a lot darker and less patchy looking without the flash.

Almost done! Also check out my *brand new* headlight covers. They are the nicest part of the car now.

Things left to do:
- Buy a battery
- My balljoints actually appear to be fine, I just need to order new boots for them.
- Buy and add coolant.
- Locate driver side headlight assembly. This part is turning out to be harder than I thought. I went to the JY again this weekend and found nothing, again.
- Locate stock 1g AWD catback. This is going to be really hard too.
- Rear brakes
- Flush and bleed brakes, clutch, power steering
- Set up ECMlink
- Pray that I didn't screw something up building the engine on and off over the past year.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:35 pm
Profile ICQ

There is a red headlight assembly located at the Pyrite yunkyard in Riverside.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:00 pm

https://www.facebook.com/millerimportparts?fref=ts may have the headlights...

Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:03 pm
Profile YIM
DSM Regular

Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:48 pm
Profile ICQ

Not sure, but the car hasn't been there all that long. My friend just told me they have another red 1g now as well (Non turbo 2.0)

I'm sure you can get all the parts you need off one, if not both.

Here's the Yunkyard info:
Hillside Wrecking
3760 Pyrite St
Riverside, CA 92509
(951) 749-2740

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:33 pm
Post Master

Why didn't u ever mention needing a condenser I just threw mine away it was literally new. And the lines too. I did how ever keep the compresor

Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:30 pm
DSM Regular

Here's how that car looked when I got to it.

I grabbed the headlight assembly, motor, and some wheel well plastics. I pulled the AC condenser too, but they wanted almost $70 for it. I'll wait for something cheaper to come along. I might go back for the bumper reinforcement soon though since mine is bent from my accident from 11 years ago which is causing the headlights to not fit properly.

You can see the gap between the lights and the bumper.

Still looking for a clean 90-91 car to cut the radiator core support off of. Both 1g's at this yard had previous accident damage to the front end.

Also there's an AWD tranny there if anyone needs one. That car had 226k miles on it, so that tranny has probably been rebuilt or replaced a few times over the years.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:06 pm
Profile ICQ
DSM Regular

Car looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:13 pm
DSM Regular

Car is almost done. I ordered new control arms since mine are rusty and beat to hell. Annoyingly, one of them has a spot weld on the bushing mount that I need to grind down, but I can finally put the car on all 4 wheels as soon as I put these on. Not bad for $105 shipped for both with ball joints.

You can see the problem on the right arm vs. the left.

Now all I need is that damn stock catback and I can finally start it up. Then the fun process of getting it registered...

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:50 am
Profile ICQ
DSM Regular

Out with the old.

In with the new.

Stock downpipe and cat installed.

I just need to figure out this damn exhaust problem and I'll be set.

And the car is sitting on all 4 wheels with the engine and transmission installed for the first time in 3 years.

Things left to do:
Install rear SS brake lines, pads, and rotors.
Bleed brakes.
Figure out the catback issue.

Start the car and check for leaks.
Drive it.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:28 pm
Profile ICQ
DSM Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5md3vV2v1XA

This is video of the first startup from yesterday. It runs! No leaks or problems so far.

Mon May 13, 2013 6:21 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next