[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - My broken DSM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
My broken DSM 
DSM Regular

Post Re: My broken DSM
Very minor update from me. I ended up moving out of my GF's place a couple of months ago and had to move the Talon to my office since my new apartment doesn't allow broken cars. So now it's sitting next to my friend's RX-7 where I can slowly work on it. Not much progress lately, mostly because I was in such a rush to move out of there that I ended up losing a ton of bolts to the engine somehow. I just ordered new bolts for the front case, water pump, and oil filter housing so I can finish the engine build.

Here are some updated pics:

As soon as the new bolts come in I'll be able to get the front case and oil pump assy together and finish up the rest of the engine. Then it will be pretty fast from there to get the car back on the road.

Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:53 pm
Profile ICQ
Talon of Doom

nice build so far. Also, ZOMG!! Red FD!

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:01 am
Profile WWW
DSM Regular

That red FD hasn't had a single mile put on it since around 2008. It belongs to my friend and he hasn't decided what to do with it yet. So it sits. It runs fine, just needs a new battery and someone to smog it. (good luck)

As for my car, I only had a couple hours this weekend so I spent them degreasing and cleaning parts, as well as getting the new front case installed. That oil filter housing was completely black with two decades of oil and dirt covering it. It's painfully slow building this thing with my schedule, but at least I am squeezing in time here and there when I can.

I'm hoping my schedule this weekend is open enough that I can get the engine finished. I still need exhaust manifold studs, but I can do pretty much everything else from oil pan to valve cover. It's so weird seeing shiny things on my DSM...

Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:36 pm
Profile ICQ
Post Master

Ask your friend if he is willing to part with the fd?

Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:53 pm
DSM Regular

Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:47 pm
Profile ICQ
Talon of Doom

looks like 2.25" to me.

Do you need your car tooned? Got some extra cash? PM me for details. I offer street and dyno tunes

Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
Post Master

18,000. I would of snatch them up lol....

Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:17 pm
frank the tank

1/4mile 10.5 @ 136 mph personal best 3582R Las Vegas
1/4mile 10.41@ 137.9 mph Fontana personal best 3582R
5 Gears...4 wheel drive/steer...3 Diamonds...2 cams...1 Turbo...0 Reliability

Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:05 pm
Profile YIM
Post Master

i seen them for cheaper than 14k...Thats y i said 18k dam i would took em.

Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:37 pm
frank the tank

Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:11 am
Profile YIM
Death to Head Gaskets!

FD= My next car, red, black or white. good luck with the build, looking good so far

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:38 am
DSM Regular

Well, at least it's starting to look like an engine again. I have been plagued with missing bolts left and right. I had to get clever with the front case and water pump, and now I am missing the bolts for the timing belt auto tensioner. ( By the way, does anyone happen to have these bolts laying around?) The good thing is that those are the last ones I need to get this side of the engine finished. I still have to transfer some of the studs from the old head to this one for the water neck, CAS, and intake manifold. And I need to order new exhaust manifold studs. But other than that, the engine will be complete and ready to go. That means I get to focus on the chassis next. Cleaning 20 years of grease and grime, installing new front axles, removing some sheared/rusted bolts, etc. Then I get to figure out how the hell to run my vacuum lines again after having them all removed for the last 10 years.

So, things left to do:

Engine
- Get bolts for auto tensioner.
- Install timing belt and finish buttoning up that side of the engine. (t-belt cover, pullies, alternator, PS pump, etc.)
- Oil Pan (already cleaned, just waiting to get the engine off the stand so I can install the rear main seal.
- Install the rear main seal.
- Flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate.
- Transfer studs, install water neck, manifolds, CAS, coolant pipe, turbo, etc.
- Valve cover and spark plug gaskets.
- Swap "o" rings on the injectors and rail and pray my injectors still work.
- Plumb vacuum lines.
- Fix knock sensor that I ripped out of its plug like a moron.
- Buy a new o2 sensor.

Chassis:
- Fix stripped and sheared bolts. Oh so many of them...
- Clean engine bay.
- Replace or rebuild front axles.
- Inspect fuel tank and fuel pump for damage from sitting for 6 years. (not looking forward to this one)
- Fuel filter
- Install ECMLink, troubleshoot til the cows come home.
- Put engine in car.
- Fabricate new lower IC piping.
- Clean and repaint upper IC piping.
- Front big brake upgrade, SS lines, bleed the system.
- SS Clutch line.
- Fabricate new intake for the 14b.
- Port the 14b so it doesn't boost creep like crazy.
- Tune.
- Get sick of the 14b after a few days and install the Green turbo.
- Retune.

There's still a lot to do. I know there's a lot I am forgetting.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:56 pm
Profile ICQ
DSM Regular

Well it's been almost a year and a half since my last update. Life gets in the way, as well as another project car that I picked up which has been soaking a lot of my spare time and money.

Anyway, onto DSM progress...

First of all, the car was crawling with these things. In fact the entire garage was full of them and I felt creepy crawlies on me the entire time I was working. Really nasty.

Timing belt installed and tensioned.

Brand new lower timing cover. My original is trashed.

Rear main seal installed.

RRE flywheel.

New 2600. The machine shop put the pressure plate and flywheel on to balance the rotating assembly, which is why there are so many chunks drilled out of the PP here.

6 bolt 4G64 crankshaft .

HUGE thanks to LOLVTEC for stopping by and helping get the transmission mounted to the engine. Some things just go easier with a helping hand.
If you look closely you can see my entire tube of gray RTV oil pan gasket.

I know it doesn't look it, but I spent about 2 hours cleaning and degreasing this shithole. Most of that red used to be black with grease from leaking CV boots and oil lines over the years.

Before pics:

Now you can almost eat off the subframe.
But I wouldn't.

I spent a lot of time dealing with stuff that looked like this. By stuff, I mean every single piece of everything in or around the engine bay. In fact I still have to do the underside of the subframe and chassis next week. I've gone through one and a half cans of degreaser in one day.

Leaking axles removed.

Oh god.

The best surprise of the entire weekend, only sheared 2 of the 6 studs off the gas tank for the fuel sender, and the inside is miraculously in PERFECT shape! So very lucky. I need to drill out the two broken studs and JB weld some screws in place from inside the tank.

Look how nice and clean that is! I'm astonished it's in such great condition after sitting in a gas tank while the car sat for 8 years. The Walbro looks nearly new so I think I'll just replace the filter and reuse it.

Makes me happy seeing this. I can't believe it's been 8 years since this has moved under its own power and now it's so close!

10 year old DSM ingenuity.

I'm buying new struts. But what's a DSM without important structural elements being held together by zip ties?

It's in. What a bitch.

Dog is not impressed and wants to go home.

Next week I'll be doing the fuel tank and sending unit, fuel filter, axles, and buttoning up the rest of the engine bay. Driver side motor mount is torn, so I think it's time to replace all 4. I also have 2G brake calipers to install, rotors, DSMlink, and a whole lot of other stuff down the road. Getting really excited to have my 22 year old car back though.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:31 pm
Profile ICQ
frank the tank

It's coming along !! Keep up the good work

Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:23 am
Profile YIM

No worries sorry had to leave. But did you swap the motor in by yourself?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next