[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Wes's Car finally acting like a DSM.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next
Wes's Car finally acting like a DSM. 
No More 2.3L

Post Re: Wes's Car finally acting like a DSM.
The car is alive again. I only have the boost up to like 19psi for now as I'm to tired to deal with tuning runs right now. And I my drivers side headlight is out for some reason so I don't want to get pulled over with the laptop out.

I will post some finished pictures of the catch can/exhaust scavenging system soon. I was in to much of a hurry to take any tonight.

452 AWHP 446 lb ft of torque e85 FTW!!

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Tue May 04, 2010 12:17 am
Profile YIM
No More 2.3L

I had a small oil leak that was from one of the fittings on my jumble of feed line crap being a little loose. I fixed that this morning and tracked down the reason I only had one headlight, it was a broken ground wire in the aftermarket harness for the HIDs.

Here are some pics of the general shenanigans going on under my car.
So out of the oil filter housing I have a thread size reducer, a 90* 1/8" NPT to -4AN with a 0.94" restrictor, a FP filter, an Edelbrock -4AN female to -4AN male with 1/8" NPT for the pressure sender, and finally the feed line.

Here are pictures of the exhaust scavenging set up.

So far the turbo is still alive and not eating oil yet. And the venting seems to help with oil blow by as after the first 100 miles the catch can did not have any oil in it. Let's see how it goes after a few thousand miles.

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Sat May 08, 2010 2:47 pm
Profile YIM
helmet polisher

congrats, everything looks awesome. gonna miss seeing you and that car when you ship out.

Sat May 08, 2010 3:28 pm
No More 2.3L

So my official stance is FUCK THIS 50 TRIM!.

Less than 200 miles and it is developing shaft play and consuming oil already.

I get paid at the end of this week so next week I will be HX35 hunting. Wrecking yards here I come.

-Mike W

Tue May 11, 2010 6:49 pm
Profile YIM
Quagmire

Welcome to the dark side....

Tue May 11, 2010 7:02 pm

Wtf!! damn dude that fucken blows

Tue May 11, 2010 7:19 pm

Damn Wes that really suxs what is this like the third time lol. Whats killing the turbo is it cause you have a stroker motor or no.

Tue May 11, 2010 7:22 pm
Official Photographer

damn Wes im sorry to hear this good luck with your holset when you get it

Tue May 11, 2010 7:27 pm
Profile WWW
No More 2.3L

I don't think it being a stroker has anything to do with it.

I really have no idea why though. This time I did everything I could to ensure it's long life. The oil pressure was moniterd the whole time and was in spec. I even had that stupid expensive filter in there too.

I'm just done with that Garrett center section and moving on to something else.

-Mike W

Tue May 11, 2010 8:03 pm
Profile YIM
DSM Regular

Damn dude...I had like 500 miles on the kenitic g60 from slowboy and it was still like brand new when I took it off.

Tue May 11, 2010 9:47 pm
DSM Regular

who did the rebuild on the turbo or is it brand new???

Wed May 12, 2010 2:25 pm
No More 2.3L

It started as brand new and then Performance Techniques rebuilt it twice. They didn't even rebuild it as both times it just got an entirely new center section, bearings, shaft, and wheels. Pretty much all the moving parts were replaced and balanced.

I think all the shit talking online of these Garrett journal bearing center sections is warranted.

In my case thought the first two could be explained, first time was oil contamination, second time the restrictor was too small and the turbo starved for oil.

But this third time I enlarged the restrictor, ran an oil filter in the line, and had the oil pressure monitored through my Zeitronix system with the warning box set up to go off if the pressure ever went to low or to high and it never did.

-Mike W

Wed May 12, 2010 5:24 pm
Profile YIM
DSM Regular

Sorry to hear about your turbo Wes. I purchased the same turbo but like 5 years ago but never installed it. I installed in just last year and that turbo was a beast. No shaft play at all after really beating on it for a year. Was pushing about 24-26lbs of boost as the internal waste gate couldn't hold anymore and after I took it out and sold it there was no shaft play at all. All fed from the OFH with no restrictor. I had balance shaft though. Maybe it is the newer 5031E that are shit. Don't know if anything has changed for that turbo in the last 5 years but since you have that nice 2.3L in there why not go HX40??

Thu May 13, 2010 8:16 am
DSM Regular

arent they out in San bernardino or i mite being thinking of another place

Thu May 13, 2010 8:23 am
No More 2.3L

I hear that PTE turbos really went down hill recently when they lost the license to use genuine Garrett parts but I'm having problems with real Garrett parts too.

And yeah Performance Techniques is in San Bernardino and the shop is really cool. I don't blame them at all and they did the second rebuild below cost.

-Mike W

Thu May 13, 2010 8:37 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next