[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Wes's Car finally acting like a DSM.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Wes's Car finally acting like a DSM. 

Post Re: Wes's Car finally acting like a DSM.
I'd wouldn't be to dissapoint because it did last about 75k with LOTS of abouse

Sat May 21, 2011 1:47 pm
No More 2.3L

I just talked to Jon at TRE and I broke the 3/4 hub and 1st through 4th gears all had pretty bad wear on them and need to be replaced. The differentials survived though so that was good.

So for the price of a 1G GSX in nice condition ($2360) I'm getting all the evo gear goodness. I think the taller first will be real nice for the drag strip.

452 AWHP 446 lb ft of torque e85 FTW!!

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Tue May 31, 2011 12:58 pm
Profile YIM
No More 2.3L

I finally got the transmission yesterday (I got it with a welded center diff as I'm still trying to get the quaife warrantied) and I installed it today. The instal went pretty well and the engine fired right up after a bit of priming even after sitting for 5 months. Unfortunately for me after all that sitting I now have several pin hole leaks in my SS -6 AN fuel line. I guess the line from the STM tank to rail kit may not have been e85 compatible. Tomorrow I will be getting some new fuel lines and hopefully that will get the GSX up and running again.

Here is a picture that makes me happy.

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:12 pm
Profile YIM
Official Photographer

good to hear its almost back on the road

Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:36 pm
Profile WWW
frank the tank

Nice !! Gotta love TRE quality work I have a tre and love it let's see your Dsm back in action

1/4mile 10.5 @ 136 mph personal best 3582R Las Vegas
1/4mile 10.41@ 137.9 mph Fontana personal best 3582R
5 Gears...4 wheel drive/steer...3 Diamonds...2 cams...1 Turbo...0 Reliability

Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:00 am
Profile YIM
No More 2.3L

She's alive!!!!!!

I've only driven her about 5 miles to the gas station and back while checking oil pressure at the turbo. Everything looks pretty good. The welded center makes slow tight turns in the parking lot a bit noisy.

-Mike W

Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:30 pm
Profile YIM
No More 2.3L

So to update the saga of my car....
I'm still consuming oil and trying to get funds together to build/buy a new 2l shortblock. And meanwhile I live in upstate NY and work all week in CT so I drive 200 miles each direction to be home every weekend. Last weekend I was about 30 miles into the drive back and I suddenly had no boost. I pulled over to check if I blew an oil supply line or anything and was about to catch on fire. Everything externally looked fine and the car was still ideling great and I had to get back to CT to report for duty so I just drive it N/A style for the rest of the 200 miles. I figured I either completely killed the turbo or the wastegate spring collapsed.

Well I got to CT and took off my intake pipe and more shaft play than I have ever seen so the turbo is dead. I have a new HX-35 coming to me from Performance Techniques but meanwhile the car is still in CT and I need to drive it with about 500lbs of my stuff back to NY next Friday as my training in CT will be done. I'm currently in NY but without my car since I caught a ride with a friend.

My turbo will be arriving in NY on Tuesday so there is no way to install it before the drive back but lucky me I still have my old 8-blade HX-35 that died so I'm bringing back this with me to install and be able to drive N/A back to NY.

I was just going to run it like it is since ti made the rest of the drive to CT fine but every now and then I can hear the turbo try to spin and it makes a grinding noise I can hear in the car. I'm just going to cross my fingers that she makes the drive back to new york for a proper oil change and turbo install.

-Mike W

Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:02 am
Profile YIM
No More 2.3L

The fake turbo worked well and the car is back in NY with me.

New goodies ready to go on and I will take the fake turbo off tomorrow.

I also got this 0-150 psig sending unit from Zeitronix to accurately measure the oil pressure after the FP filter and trigger an alarm if it gets to low or to high.

-Mike W

Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:25 pm
Profile YIM

Post Wes's Car finally acting like a DSM.
Nice! Can you have a trigger for low and high conditions set at the same time under simple triggers?

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:29 pm
Profile WWW
No More 2.3L

Yes you can. I'm tempted to upgrade my ZT-2 again so that I can put it on user2 and have it read straight in psig but for now using the formula provided to convert voltage is good enough.

-Mike W

Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:30 pm
Profile YIM

Yeah I just realized a way I can monitor rich *and* lean AFR's to use while tuning that I hadn't thought of before. I currently have a complex trigger for lean AFR that I have set that's set to go off once I'm above 14 PSI of boost and lean out below 11.5:1 AFR. What I hadn't thought about doing was adding a simple trigger for going more rich than 10.5:1. You have to do a complex trigger for 'lean' b/c otherwise the buzzer will constantly be going off at cruise/idle, but you're never in a condition of being more rich than your target WOT AFR so you could throw that into the simple triggers. I guess I'm an idiot b/c this is a no brainer but for some reason it hadn't clicked.

Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
No More 2.3L

So as mentioned in another thread my turbine housing deformed and a piece hit the turbine wheel and either that killed my turbo or it happened from the turbo dieing and the shaft play allowing the wheel to bash the wall. I got my parts back from a machine shop today and soon the car will be back together.

Here is a picture of the damaged housing.

Here is the housing after the repair, also note that two bolts broke in the housing and my dumb ass broke a drill bit in one of them trying to remove it so it just seemed easier to have the machine shop drill and tap 6 new holes.

And also while I had parts at the machine shop I took my O2 housing in since the flange that mates to the turbine housing was never flat from punishment. So the machinist surfaced it for me.

All the machining cost $150 which I though was fair especially since jigging up that O2 housing could not have been too easy.

-Mike W

Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:21 pm
Profile YIM
Post Master

Looks great. Good idea on the 02 housing..

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:23 pm
No More 2.3L

Well I took my sweet time getting everything back together. I cleaned a whole shit ton of oil out of the intercooler piping and intercooler, and gave some extra love to the turbine housing making sure the wheel wouldn't hit it. I also got the pressure sensor on the line and found that I really need to let my car warm up before moving it as the pressure is very close to the limit on a cold start up even with my 0.070" restrictor in the line.

Everything looks good now and I just took the car out for a spin and did a small bit of tuning. Back on CA my pump tune timing tables in direct access were super scaled back because the engine wanted to knock all the time. I decided to load the stock timing maps back in and I lowered the boost a bit and some pulls with no sign of knock. Currently I have it up at 19psi with 17* of timing and about 11.5:1 AFR with no knocking. When the weather gets a little bit nicer I hope to fine tune it a bit more. Right now there is light rain falling and 3rd gear pulls are dangerous.

-Mike W

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:09 pm
Profile YIM

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:10 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next