[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Wes's Car finally acting like a DSM.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
Wes's Car finally acting like a DSM. 
No More 2.3L

Post Wes's Car finally acting like a DSM.
FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Driving in to school today I saw a good amount of white smoke when I lifted after boosting. Got to school and checked and there is a fair amount of shaft play up and down but no in and out. I think I killed the new center section as well. I don't know what I did to kill this one. I ran the oil from the OFH with a restrictor in the line and I did a oil change when I put it on in case there was anything in the oil that hurt the last turbo.

I guess I will be taking this turbo off tomorrow and bringing it back to Performance Techniques to have them check it out.

452 AWHP 446 lb ft of torque e85 FTW!!

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:34 pm
Profile YIM
Official Photographer

Post Re: Wes's Turbo Issues
damn im sorry to hear about all your turbo probs Wes I hope you get everything figured out. was there any kind of warranty on the rebuild?

Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
No More 2.3L

If it was a problem with the rebuild there will probably be a warranty but since this is the second turbo in a row my car killed it is more likely that there wasn't a problem with the turbo itself but something else about my car, probably the oiling system is hurting the turbo.

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:04 pm
Profile YIM
Official Photographer

I hope they hook you up that sucks

Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:18 pm
Profile WWW
DSM Regular

Is oil pressure unknown? (are u using the stock gauge)

Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:59 pm

dude that f'ing sucks!!!! I most likely had to be the rebuilt if it was only used for a day.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:26 pm
No More 2.3L

Yeah stock oil pressure gauge. I have an electronic sending unit I can log through my Zeitronix system.

I'm looking for something similar to this so I can put the sending unit after the restrictor to log the actual pressure going to the turbo.

-Mike W

Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:57 pm
Profile YIM
DSM Regular

Good idea, there's also this: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... 34-1028-ND
but you already have the unit. btw you probably already know this but you can check pressure by just revving in neutral.
edit: Maybe those fucks didn't balance the cartridge assembly well. I've read that dynamic balancing is much better for the turbo's longevity.
Once you get it rebuilt again i would suggest selling that thing and going for a bw362 or billet 6262 to get some real use out of that built stroker.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:06 pm
DSM Regular

Wes just curious did you port your ofh.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:48 pm
No More 2.3L

No, I did not port the OFH. I'm starting to think it would be a good idea.

-Mike W

Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:04 pm
Profile YIM
DSM Regular

seems like your still getting to much oil pressure, Instructions for my new turbo said that it needs 50 psi anything more and it will blow past the seals. Also Ive read that using a restricter doesn't lower the pressure just restricts the volume of oil.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:11 pm
DSM Regular

That one option and i've skimmed over that online once but wasn't clear on whether it lowers the pressure going to the rotating assy and head when you port it. Edit: i dug a bit online and found a good thread on link forums: http://www.dsmlink.com/forums/showthrea ... er+housing Yea, good idea for u non balance shaft guys.

Last edited by DSMP on Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:00 am
DSM Regular

Porting your oil pressure helps when you remove balance shafts, usually motors with b/s removed there oil pressure is upwards of a 100 psi. Even with a restricter its still sometimes to much for the turbo. The other thing that plays a role is your crank case pressure, if you have to much then your oil will not drain properly from your turbo.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:09 am

Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:38 am
Profile WWW
No More 2.3L

The exhaust scavenging is not set up yet. I am waiting for the my catch can to arrive. Saikou Michi isn't the fastest company ever, hopefully it will be here soon.

I guess today I am going to set up my oil pressure sending unit, and I will measure the oil pressure and then port the OFH and measure it again. And probably end my day by taking off the turbo so I can bring it to Performance Techniques tomorrow.

-Mike W

Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:02 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 289 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next