[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Water pump pulley issue
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Water pump pulley issue 

Post Water pump pulley issue
The water pump pulley seems to vibrate and 'wabble' a lot when the engine is running. It looks like the pulley just wants to give up or fall off. All the other pulleys are fine (PS, Alternator and so on)

I checked for side to side-play on the pulley with the engine off and it seems fine. I also took a look at the belt and the tension and it also seems good. I even tryed to re-tighten the four 10mm bolts that hold on to the water pump but that was fine also.

The belts don't squeek at all, but it is noisy when its runing so im not sure what else to look for or what may be causing this problems. Any suggestions?

By the way if I made it sound confusing it is the water pump pulley: the belt that goes around the alternator, to the water pump, then to the harmonic balancer.

Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:00 pm
No More 2.3L

Post Re: Water pump pulley issue
If the bolts are tight then it is probably one of two things. Your pulley somehow got bent to shit or your water pump is worn the fuck out and the shaft play is getting crazy.

I know that engine is pretty new so I hope it isn't the pump.

452 AWHP 446 lb ft of torque e85 FTW!!

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:09 pm
Profile YIM

Thats the same thing I'm saying....I hope it isn't the pump, but i dont see how the pulley would take a shit out of no where. Maybe by over tightening the alternator belt??

Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:20 pm
No More 2.3L

I have a Topline 6-bolt water pump that was never installed. If you find out your pump was bad you can have it.

I guess the best way to check would be to take the belt off and see if there is shaft play on the water pump.

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:27 pm
Profile YIM
Squish Face

Yeah i agree with wes on this one remove the pulleys and make sure they're straight if they are then the water pump is to blame. Kinda a paint to replace but a breeze if you can do your own timing.

Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:21 am
Profile WWW

Yeah I'm gonna take a look at it tomorrow when the sun goes up. Thanks Wes i'll let you know if I will be needing that water pump.

...come to think of it the water pump was literally the one item that was not OEM when i was building my motor....crap :bang:

Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:24 am

double check the pully wheel. It's super easy to put that on backwards. I don't know if that would cause the vibration you're experiencing, but it's known to throw belts like crazy. The angle the belt has to be at when it's on backwards can cause problems.

Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:54 pm
Profile WWW

Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:46 pm
Squish Face

Looks like it was eating itself alive, good thing you caught it and replaced it.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:05 pm
Profile WWW
Goderator

Close the books on that one. Good catch.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:26 pm
No More 2.3L

What brand pump was that?

-Mike W

Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:22 am
Profile YIM
helmet polisher

Vatozone

Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:43 am

:shock:

Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:55 am
Profile WWW

Built to LAST, DURACRAP!!!

You should be fine with the topline, I don't recall hearing anything bad about them.

10.67@126mph

Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:13 am
Profile YIM
Squish Face

My vatozone doesn't bitch and moan about me bouncing off the revlimiter or my 2step at all. I guess you just got a bad batch, shit was probably put together on a friday.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:26 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next