[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ladsm.com - View topic - Slipping Clutch =(
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Slipping Clutch =( 

Post Slipping Clutch =(
Well, I went for a year and a half without any clutch/transmission problems...but I guess it couldn't last forever. In summer of '08 I installed a 2100lb ACT pressure plate w/ a sprung 6 puck and an RRE no-name chromoly flywheel. Up until recently it worked fine w/ good disengagement and plenty of grab for the tq that I have. Recently, as I've turned up the boost, it has started to slip. Tonight after the meet I went off onto the side streets and did *ONE* launch w/ the 2 step set at 5,500. Immediately after that the pedal effort was significantly reduced (felt almost stock), and the clutch would slip horribly in 3rd, 4th, and 5th once I hit boost. I drove easy for a while, the pedal effort went back up, and I regained 3rd, then 4th, then 5th. So, whenever I heat up the clutch, the clamping force *appears* to reduce and it slips.

I know that the 2100 plate isn't for "repeated" drag launching as RRE states, but I figured it would hold fine w/ the sprung 6 puck and isolated launches. What on earth would cause the clamping force to go down when the clutch heats up? The pedal feels flimsy as hell after slipping the clutch even a tiny bit on a launch. I even parked the car and pushed the fork back towards the slave cyl to make sure I wasn't experiencing pedal pump up, and it was fine.

Thoughts??? As long as I don't slip/launch it, I'm fine. Looks like I'll be spectating on Saturday. =(

Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:38 am
Profile WWW
No More 2.3L

Post Re: Slipping Clutch =(
What are you using for clutch fluid. I have slipped a clutch so bad before that it boiled the auto parts store fluid I had in the system. Now I will only use Motul.

Kind of crazy when you think about all the metal parts that had to transmit heat before it got to the fluid in the slave cylinder.

452 AWHP 446 lb ft of torque e85 FTW!!

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:03 am
Profile YIM

Yeah, it will definitely be worth changing the fluid b/c it's old and it's the cheap kind, but boiled fluid would lead to the opposite problem, right? W/ air in the lines I'd have shitty disengagement, but the clamping load shouldn't be affected unless heating up the fluid expanded it and caused a pump-up sort of issue. I pushed the fork back towards the slave to be sure there wasn't excessive hydraulic pressure on the TOB with the clutch pedal up.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:58 am
Profile WWW
No More 2.3L

Well when mine boiled I actually lost some fluid through the master cylinder seal. I doubt that is your problem but check that carpet.

Also my 2600 and street disk is kind of doing the same thing. If I launch really hard it slips and then it is crap until it cools down a lot. I am guessing that I will see some crazy glaze on the disk when I pull it out and maybe some purple metal.

"They are cool manly men now those DSM owners. Before it was just pasty white nerds, metro hair Asian kids and fruit pickers. They do real car club stuff and everything. Sometimes they even spend money here :-/"

-Mike W

Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:28 am
Profile YIM

After some inspection tonight I determined the following:

1) The fork is pointing WAY to far towards the driver's side (more so than when I installed the clutch). As soon as I saw this, it dawned on me that the engagement point has been moving upwards over the last couple of months. This means either the disc is worn down, the disc has eaten into the pressure plate and flywheel, or I have crank walk. I kept an eye on the p.plate as my wife depressed the clutch and it didn't budge, so I'm betting the disc is worn down to nothing.

2) My master cylinder needs rebuilding.

Sigh. I'm just going to need to turn down the boost until I get a new clutch. The slightest bit of slipping the clutch from a start and the clutch is useless in 4th and 5th gear. If I don't beat on it, it will hold, but barely.

On top of all this, I have an exhaust lead at the manifold/head AGAIN b/c 2 studs have simply broken off for no apparent reason. Time to order a SS set. I also have a massive exhaust leak at the flex section on the down pipe, so I need to replace that.

:ugh: Looks like I'll be staying home and taking care of business this Saturday. On the up side, I replaced my spark plugs and it has really helped my phantom knock issue. The old plugs looked fairly healthy (not fowled or burned up), but the gap was HUGE! .033 when I originally gapped them at .028!

Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:19 am
Profile WWW
No More 2.3L

I have an RRE downpipe laying around with a good flex section you can have if you need it so you can cut it up and fix yours. Assuming you need a 3" flex section.

-Mike W

Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:51 am
Profile YIM

Yeah, that would be fantastic! Yup, 3" works. When/where is the best place to meet up so I can get it from you? I've got some errands to run after work tonight, so either later on tonight or tomorrow after work. Hit me up here or text me. Thanks!

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
No More 2.3L

I should get home from school around 9:00pm tonight. If you think you can get up near the Covina area after that shoot me a text. I can try to meet somewhere near my place.

-Mike W

Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:44 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]